RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,658
Members: 24,813
Currently online: 411
Newest member: SB118_Pavlova

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old November 29 2011, 08:25 PM   #31
BriGuy
Rear Admiral

Re: Would Nemesis had been better without the Remans?

JWD75 wrote: View Post
I didn't like the Remans and i think that the movie would have been better off without them. On top of everything their make-up looked ridiculous.

I was really excited for this movie when I heard the early reports about it. I was especially happy when I heard that John Logan was writing it because Gladiator is one of my favorite movies. My excitement quickly vanished when I saw the trailer. I've never seen a worse trailer in my life - it made the movie seem lifeless, tired and bland. I had almost no interest in seeing the movie after seeing the trailer. I would bet good money that the trailer cost Nemesis a good part of its potential audience and is one of the factors - and there are many - for why the movie failed so miserably.
Trailer seems fine to me.
BriGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2011, 10:42 PM   #32
Balrog
Commodore

They didn't need the Remans. They could have used a political faction within Romulan society bent on the takeover of the Romulan empire and destruction of earth.

They didn't even need the Picard clone. Make the new praetor villain a Hitler type, naming himself chancellor and bent on the military conquest of the Alpha quadrant.
Old November 30 2011, 02:16 PM   #33
Trek Survivor
Captain

I liked the Remans and thought they worked well in the film; actually, I'd keep them and get rid of the Romulans. They'd been way overused in modern Trek by that point.
Old November 30 2011, 11:19 PM   #34
Gojira
Commodore

WarsTrek1993 wrote: View Post
Nemesis definitely wasn't without flaws, but it had its moments.
I felt the Remans were interesting (except for the godawful makeup they used.) If anything, it would've been better to explore them more. (And for that matter, explore Shinzon alittle more)

I agree. I didn't mind the Remans but hated the make up. I would have liked to have explored them more.
Old December 1 2011, 12:18 AM   #35
RoJoHen
Awesome

If we had decided to make the Romulans the focus of the TNG movies, "Insurrection" and "Nemesis" could have made an excellent duology. Get rid of the Son'a and Ba'Ku and replace them with Romulans and Vulcans, and you've basically got a resolution to the Unification story from the TNG series. You could then build off of it with NEM to create a big Romulan story where we finally make peace with them.

Of course, I do wonder what happened between the end of DS9 and NEM that made the Romulans our enemies again. They were our allies during the Dominion War.

The Remans were, much like the Son'a, a race that came out of nowhere that I was supposed to care about for some reason. We've dealth with the Romulans for so long that introducing this weird slave race of theirs just seemed like it came completely out of left field.
Old December 1 2011, 04:41 AM   #36
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Of course, I do wonder what happened between the end of DS9 and NEM that made the Romulans our enemies again. They were our allies during the Dominion War.
"Allies" and "friends" are 2 very different things.

The Romulans knew the threat the Dominion posed and did what they had to.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2012, 11:49 PM   #37
jpch
Commander

Nemesis was good,its the last thing we saw of The TNG cast...the story was really original and i enjoyed the concept of Remans.
jpch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 12:10 AM   #38
Kronos
Admiral

One of the reasons I hated Nemesis was the Remens, never before in Trek were we told their was a separate race and a slave race to boot, then all of a sudden they are and the make up is so bad it makes 1970's horror movies look good.

Ugh.
Old February 10 2012, 02:18 AM   #39
Who1
Commander

Romulans are kinda boring. They have dated uniforms and makeup, cool ships, ho-hum villainous moments... John Logan's script didn't do them justice (rehashing tired things we've seen before when it comes to Fed-Romulan, Worf-Romulan reconciliation, cutting from technobabble space battles to dull as dirt senators arguing was tiresome, and not including Sela seemed like a missed opportunity) but at least the Remans were imposing and interesting-looking, if not well-developed.
Who1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 09:00 PM   #40
CaptainMatt
Fleet Captain

I still would rather have seen Romulans in the fillm, Sela included, instead of Remans. Then we might have gotten our big Romulans in a Trek movie moment.
CaptainMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2012, 04:18 AM   #41
Tribble puncher
Commander

MANT! wrote: View Post
I'll let the following answer for me...

Beyond Epic Review...I need some pizza rolls now
Tribble puncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2012, 03:33 PM   #42
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

The Overlord wrote: View Post
Would Nemesis had been better without the Remans, with a story that just a straight up conflict between the Federation and Romulan Empire?
Nemesis would have been better if it was better, period. The story itself in outline isn't so bad, none of the cast are any worse than they ever were, and Tom Hardy has since proved himself superb.

They just sort of threw it together, like Insurrection, and it came out a mess. It therefore failed as a film, because it was basically some action set pieces with an attempt at a nature/nurture story tacked on. It also failed as a Trek film, because they expected the last TNG film to be a lot better.

It is actually a perfectly serviceable action film with a great space battle, a very stupid car chase that doesn't work, and some talky stuff between the set pieces that needed re-writes. Trek fans hate it because the last thing they wanted was a serviceable action movie that was thrown together as the last TNG film.

However, even if it had been REALLY good, it probably would not have done that much better at the box office, as it was up against serious sci-fi opposition. I'm a huge trek fan and I was infinitely more excited about LOTR. That is probably why I actually quite like NEM, I never expected it to be much more than it was!