To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 29 2011, 07:42 PM   #2461
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Re: The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

did Harvey Dent, in the few weeks (at most) portrayed in the Dark Knight, really leave that much of an impression that it matters if his innocence was a lie eight years later? The most he actually did was lock up a bunch of criminals on a technicality, and even he admitted that a lot of them could get out on bail, and the rest would be for 18 months at most.
Old November 29 2011, 11:17 PM   #2462
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Everything we keep hearing about Bane and his back story has me extremely interested. It would continue to seem to me that the Nolans and Goyer read the Legends of the Dark Knight story that I and others have referred to earlier in this thread and have decided to use that as the basis of Bane's story. The two parter was one of my favourite stories so I'm glad that DC is releasing it in trade next year in the form of the Bane Vs Batman TPB.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2011, 12:09 AM   #2463
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
did Harvey Dent, in the few weeks (at most) portrayed in the Dark Knight, really leave that much of an impression that it matters if his innocence was a lie eight years later? The most he actually did was lock up a bunch of criminals on a technicality, and even he admitted that a lot of them could get out on bail, and the rest would be for 18 months at most.
Dent put almost the entire mob to prison, including the big ones.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2011, 12:20 AM   #2464
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

It's not just the revelation of Harvey devolving into Two-Face that would be a big deal but also the notion that the police covered this up and essentially framed Batman for something he never did even though it was Batman's suggestion they do this in the first place. Harvey was the cities symbol of hope so there would be a great deal of fall out if Bane revealed that he was Two-Face.

Old November 30 2011, 12:31 AM   #2465
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

^I can actually see how this would cause a huge uproar in Gotham... Batman, while he is a vigalante, was working hard to make Gotham sager and better. If word got out that Batman was framed to essentially protect a government official who became corrupt, people would definitely pissed off. The "revolution" wouldn't be based on the idea that their symbol of hope was bad, but rather that the good guy was taken down to hide the bad guy.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2011, 12:48 AM   #2466
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ Yep. This is precisely how i expect the city to react if indeed that is what we're going to see.

Old November 30 2011, 01:06 AM   #2467
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Eh, eight years had past. In city terms that's a life time, the people of Gotham would be more absorbed with the new iPod than to worry about some government fiasco that had happened nearly a decade ago.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2011, 01:48 AM   #2468
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

plus the scenes where Two-Face is actually Two Face and he's shooting cops and gangsters were actually the weakest moments in the film, dramatically. They hardly are memorable compared to what the Joker did. I am not happy Nolan is using those scenes to set up this new film. It's like using silly string to tie a trailer to a truck cab.
Old November 30 2011, 01:21 PM   #2469
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Eh, eight years had past. In city terms that's a life time, the people of Gotham would be more absorbed with the new iPod than to worry about some government fiasco that had happened nearly a decade ago.
I know. that's why you never hear people talking about the assassinations of JFK, RFK or MLK, the election debacle in 2000, conspiracy theories over 9/11, Princess Diana or the Lockerbie bombing, the Iraq War, etc etc. No-one ever cares about things that happened in the past.
Old November 30 2011, 03:53 PM   #2470
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

^Not to mention it wouldn't just be a "government fiasco that happened nearly a decade ago"... depending on what action Bruce takes, Batman would potentially still be doing his thing and being hunted by the police the entire time. Even though the initial event happened a decade ago, it would be soemthing that still effects everyone, or that they are all at least aware of, every day. It's one of those things that just won't go away unless Batman went into hiding for that whole period.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2011, 04:51 PM   #2471
the G-man
Commodore

Have you guys ever, for example, the New York Post or any other big city tabloid? There are scandals and cover-ups in city government all the time, some recent in time and none of them have the effect that "Bane" apparently thinks the big Harvey reveal would have. At most, resignations occur and/or the attorney general or justice department shows up and starts indicting people.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2011, 06:36 PM   #2472
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ Well, we don't know what has happened since TDK. Harvey may well have been revered as a martyr, an icon since then. Gotham's last chance for normality. Nor do we know what state things are in at the time of TDKR. With a downtrodden, depressed people, the sudden shattering of their illusions about one of their heroes could have a more serious impact than say that New York politician who was caught with the hookers.
Old November 30 2011, 06:44 PM   #2473
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Count me in as another who's just not feeling it. It seems like it's just one potential pit-fall after another and has really set it self up to fail hard.

Honestly, I'm starting to wonder why Nolan even bothered in the first place other than to follow that nonsensical rule that it HAS to be a trilogy. BB/TDK make a fantastic dualogy, and I actually think the ending of TDK works better that way--from a thematic standpoint.

Anyone in his right mind knows it will be nearly impossible to do better so why even try?

I really think the smarter move would to have just reboot and done a parallel Bats movie to MoS, push it back a year, and have 2013 launch a new DC-verse to build from.
Old November 30 2011, 06:52 PM   #2474
Warped9
Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Count me in as another who's just not feeling it. It seems like it's just one potential pit-fall after another and has really set it self up to fail hard.

Honestly, I'm starting to wonder why Nolan even bothered in the first place other than to follow that nonsensical rule that it HAS to be a trilogy. BB/TDK make a fantastic dualogy, and I actually think the ending of TDK works better that way--from a thematic standpoint.

Anyone in his right mind knows it will be nearly impossible to do better so why even try?
Good things often come about because someone believes they can do something better. After two good films I think Nolan has earned some cred with Batman. Yeah, I've got questions, but I've found an element in trust in Nolan's ability. I'll wait and see.
Old November 30 2011, 07:20 PM   #2475
the G-man
Commodore

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^ Well, we don't know what has happened since TDK. Harvey may well have been revered as a martyr, an icon since then....
I'm perfectly willing to be proven wrong but it just doesn't feel "real" to me that a jaded city would treat a first term D.A. like a cross between JFK/MLK and John Lennon eight years later, at least not to the extent that the city would explode if it turned out he died a mentally ill burn victim whom the police tried to maintain was a hero.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote