RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,675
Members: 24,202
Currently online: 666
Newest member: wendelcarree

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old November 29 2011, 03:51 PM   #121
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic anticipation thread.

Really, there are only two questions to ask yourself:

Did you like KOTOR? If no, skip this game.

Do you want to play KOTOR with other people? If yes, try it out.

It's really not any more complicated than that. It's KOTOR with WoW mixed in and more focus on questing than end-game content. The end-game thing will probably improve over the next couple of years as new patches and expansions come out, but I can see a lot of people burning through a few of their favourite classes and then get bored of levelling and questing and dungeons.
Old November 29 2011, 04:11 PM   #122
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
I
I am ultimately spoiled by Cryptic's character creation tool that allows infinitely better customization of your toons.
Though I have to give it to TOR on character hair options.

Even DCU Online, where you had pretty boring starter toons, let you customize to a much better degree by letting you keep costume parts of any gear you unlocked.
Yeah that is kind of cool, and it gives me a reason to equip low end gear real quick.

Caretaker wrote: View Post
The beta has been fun. Of course, there are lots of kinks that will eventually get worked out. I'm running it on a four year old desktop, and so the game is pretty choppy in terms of the graphics. I may need to get a new desktop to play this bad boy, although I haven't tried it on my four month old MacBook Pro yet (I prefer gaming on a desktop).
It's worked good on my 2 year old lap top, though its been a little lagy but I thin that may have more to do with my internet connection and the server population.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2011, 05:18 PM   #123
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
Yes, that sounds about right. It reminds me somewhat of the helmets that U.S. soldiers wore during World War I.

In any event, I'm having a lot of fun testing out the Bounty Hunter, particularly using the "Death from Above" ability to fly up on my jetpack and let loose a torrent of missiles and blasterfire on a cluster of enemies. The farther into the BH story that I get during these two testing periods, though, the more I'm re-considering my initial intention of rolling an Imperial Agent at launch, since the IA and BH will be visiting many of the same worlds. I'm starting to instead consider a Republic character so I can have a different environmental experience early on, though I know if I did change plans to Republic that I'd inevitably end up going with one of the Jedi classes.
I had a lot of fun with the BH. The story was fun and I was crafting a cool little character. I like how the class played too. Since my friends are rolling Republic, that means I am going to go as a trooper, which I hear has a pretty good story as well.
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2011, 05:29 PM   #124
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

I hope there are more options for creating your character, it all seems a little slim for an MMO. I played all the characters over the 4 days apart from the Imperial Agent and I really don't know which I want to be on Day 1 ...

My Guild is going Empire to start with so am leaning between Bounty Hunter and Sith Inquisitor.
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2011, 06:59 PM   #125
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

For anyone who tested over this past weekend, if you haven't already uninstalled, keep your installation! The beta client from the Thanksgiving weekend test will patch to the retail version for both Early Access and official launch. If you have an installation from a previous testing period, however, you should uninstall. That should be nice and convenient for anyone who purchased a digital copy of the game.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2011, 07:53 PM   #126
Jax
Admiral

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
That should be nice and convenient for anyone who purchased a digital copy of the game.
Also for people like me who ordered retail but will download for the early access.
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Old November 30 2011, 10:57 PM   #127
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Here is my beta toon Carryn after her first major step toward the dark side, notice the glowing eyes.
Technically unnecessary, since she is greedy and murderous all without the dark side of the force
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2011, 05:34 AM   #128
O'Dib
Commodore

Any info so far on how many days/weeks of free play we get with a purchase of the game? And what the subscription fee might be after that?
Old December 2 2011, 06:00 AM   #129
sojourner
Vice Admiral

1st month free. $14.95 there after.
Old December 2 2011, 02:59 PM   #130
Jax
Admiral

I got an e-mail yesterday with a few other people I know informing us know that we are being let back into the beta testing from friday evening till sunday or Monday, not sure yet.

sojourner wrote: View Post
1st month free. $14.95 there after.
£8.99 per month for UK players

You can order 3 months or 6 months outright and get a little discount.
Old December 2 2011, 08:49 PM   #131
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Yeah, darthhater.com has said this is the final beta weekend and will have fewer participants than last weekend.
Old December 5 2011, 04:23 AM   #132
sojourner
Vice Admiral

And the Beta program is officially over. 11 days till early access!
Old December 5 2011, 08:15 AM   #133
O'Dib
Commodore

Alright, that's pretty funny. Interesting to see what look like black lightstaffs.
Old December 5 2011, 09:31 AM   #134
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Double bladed light sabers.

Squadron 1020 front and center!
Old December 5 2011, 06:45 PM   #135
Yevetha
Commodore

How is the story?
Yevetha is offline   Reply With Quote