Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 28 2011, 10:51 PM   #586
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile
Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

There was a nasty bite on her left shoulder.

Kosh Naranek wrote: View Post
So are we to assume that Sophia got bitten somewhere near the creek bed? Was it only a day or two before Otis shot Carl? I cannot recall.

However, it does seem to me that the virus must have had a really short period of incubation in Sophia. They could not have put her in the barn before transition. She would have been Zombie fodder.

I did not notice any major wounds when she staggered out the the barn.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2011, 10:54 PM   #587
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

PKerr wrote: View Post
One of the things I don't understand is not one single person in the group even remotely mentions to Herschel the fact that they were at the CDC and they pretty much knew what the "disease" is/does.
Herschel apparently believes that it's possible to cure people who are suffering mortal wounds, fatal blood loss, and their organs hanging out. And he believes all this despite being a doctor. (Yes, I know what kind.) His medical knowledge should inform him what is and isn't possible.

It doesn't matter what you tell him. Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.
Silvercrest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2011, 11:14 PM   #588
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

This show keeps amazing me. A few year's back, had you told me that a TV show about the zombie apocalypse would be able to move me to tears... I would have laughed in your face. And yet, this show has indeed moved me to tears, and on several occasions. But that last scene in front of the barn, though not wholly unexpected, was utterly devastating. Just... wow.
Old November 28 2011, 11:31 PM   #589
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

One observation about Dale. I don't know if this done on purpose or just my reading into it. Most characters on a show with the information that Dale has, would blurt it out. In trying to protect Andrea, try to show what kind of man Shane is. Then of course Shane would deny it and Dale would loose his credibility, until the time he is proven correct but by that time the Dale type character is usually dead.

It started with his ruse about the water hose. Then continued with him talking to Lori then Herschel about the walkers in the barn. It looks like Dale is trying to be smarter and learning from the game he is playing.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2011, 12:03 AM   #590
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Oh, man, that sucked. I wish they didn't do that. All I can think of is that poor little girl running away down the hill with her doll in her hand.

But, of course, it was another fantastic episode. Shane is now the chief engineer on the Crazy Train, Herschel has had to face the truth about zombies, Rick's best efforts at diplomacy were swept away, Glenn won over Maggie, and Daryl and Dale continue to be cool. I wonder what will become of Carol now.

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Oh, man, I dread watching this now.
And that's a good thing. Imagine having a zombie show you don't dread watching. What's the point of it being a zombie show, then?
Absolutely. For the last however-many years, the token shocking death of a major character in a TV show hasn't been worth much more than a rolleyes, but this one was really a wrencher. It really helps when you have people who know how to write.
Old November 29 2011, 12:09 AM   #591
the G-man
Commodore

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
One of the things I don't understand is not one single person in the group even remotely mentions to Herschel the fact that they were at the CDC and they pretty much knew what the "disease" is/does.
Herschel apparently believes that it's possible to cure people who are suffering mortal wounds, fatal blood loss, and their organs hanging out. And he believes all this despite being a doctor. (Yes, I know what kind.) His medical knowledge should inform him what is and isn't possible.

Yeah, this is about (for lack of better term) a good man suffering from something like PTSD.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2011, 12:12 AM   #592
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

I recall Rick looking like he was about to tell him about the CDC and try to reason with him, but, got the impression he didn't bother, figuring it wouldn't do any good, Herschel wouldn't hear him.

It's pretty much an unwritten taboo, not to kill children on TV Shows (certainly not by showing them being shot in the head), so, that in itself is a pretty bold move.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2011, 12:37 AM   #593
Borgminister

Will somebody think of the (zombie) children!?
Borgminister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2011, 12:55 AM   #594
mr.peany
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to mr.peany

I wonder how they will explain not telling the group about Sophia being in the barn. Someone other than Otis had to know. For one, the lady feeding the chickens to the horde. I do hope that this is addressed properly.
http://unoland.myminicity.com/
mr.peany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2011, 01:05 AM   #595
O'Dib
Commodore

the G-man wrote: View Post
Given that a comic book characters don't have to age, but actors do, I wonder how the producers plan to deal with Carl. If the show is supposed to have taken place over the space of a few weeks (to date) since Rick woke up, but it takes "x" years to film all the episodes, they're either going to have to recast him or write him off.

That was part of why Walt was written off "Lost" as I recall.
Good point. I suspect we'll be left with just the baby in the group at some point. They're pretty easy to recast constantly. Or they'll dig in somewhere like the Hershel farm and we'll get a time jump to explain Carl.
Old November 29 2011, 01:47 AM   #596
the G-man
Commodore

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Oh, man, that sucked. I wish they didn't do that. All I can think of is that poor little girl running away down the hill with her doll in her hand...this one was really a wrencher.
It didn't really affect me that way.

It was good from a dramatic sense because it shows that the program isn't going to shy away from killing regular characters, including kids. And the reveal was well done, even with the AICN spoilers.

However, Sophia's character wasn't that developed for me to find it "wrenching." Losing someone like Glenn or Daryl (who has probably the most interesting arc of the show thus far, going from "redneck jerk" to "the guy even the black character can count on") would bother me a lot more because the writers have made them worth caring about.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2011, 03:27 AM   #597
Caliburn24
Commodore

Just watched the mid-season finale. It wasn't perfect, but the show is moving again instead of just spinning its wheels. I think in hindsight the first half of season two wasn't bad, but it was rather bloated and padded. It could easily have been a tight fast moving three episodes or so, and covered every single plot point.

And without delving into spoilers(which I don't keep up on) I have the distinct impression that the back half of the season is going to be a relative bloodbath(haven't read the comics, no idea about any of that stuff). AMC wants to cut costs and that means in part a smaller cast. And with all the foreshadowing I think we'll probably see at least three of the cast killed by the end of season two. I'm thinking Carol, Dale, maybe Shane, maybe Daryl, almost certainly Hershel, maybe T-Dawg or whatever the black guy is named.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2011, 03:57 AM   #598
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

I don't know how any of you can live with yourself reading spoilers about an episode as shocking as that one. Man what an ending! It was so perfect yet so wrong and horrible.
Old November 29 2011, 04:02 AM   #599
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

In his defense I don't think he ever saw any with organs hanging out etc. Like Rick keeps saying, he's sheltered and hasn't seen how things really are. You could see that with the daughter when Glenn chopped his head mostly off and it kept standing the penny dropped for her. And when Shane shot the walker he was wrangling like 8 times in a chest and she kept going Hershel looked baffled too. I think that was his moment of realization.
Old November 29 2011, 04:05 AM   #600
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

This was a damn good episode, the best one since the premiere this season. I was really letdown by most of the episodes in between but this one was a corker. The ending was heartbreaking, watching Hershel see his family get slaughtered and then seeing Sophia come out. Damn. It really felt like a massacre as they shot the zombies.

That said, this show needs to get rolling again because this farm arc felt like a massive stall and as good as this episode was it doesn't make up for everything that came before.

Someone needs to kill Shane. He's as dangerous as the zombies.