RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,713
Posts: 5,432,105
Members: 24,835
Currently online: 587
Newest member: SB118_T'Mar


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 25 2011, 09:08 PM   #1
The Overlord
Captain
 
Would Nemesis had been better without the Remans?

Would Nemesis had been better without the Remans, with a story that just a straight up conflict between the Federation and Romulan Empire? Besides the latest Star Trek movie, there has never been a Star Trek movie that featured the Romulans as the villains. Nemesis toyed with that but instead introduces the Remans, aliens never seen before or since this movie, as the villains.

It seems like this movie would have had a tighter script if Shinzon wasn't a Picard clone, but was an aggressive Romulan commander who wanted war with the Federation. Shinzon launched a military coup to gain control of the Romulan empire, with the Romulan military building the Scimitar in secret, without the Senate's knowledge. As the Praetor, Shinzon could still pretend to be interested in peace as a prelude to war.

This seems less convoluted then the story we got in Nemesis. It also builds upon the tension we saw between the Romulans and the Federation in TNG.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2011, 09:18 PM   #2
Maxillius
Commander
 
Re: Would Nemesis had been better without the Remans?

Nemesis wasn't bad. It only failed because it was released when Lord of the Rings: Return of the King and The Matrix: Revelations were both in theaters.
Maxillius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2011, 09:33 PM   #3
The Overlord
Captain
 
Re: Would Nemesis had been better without the Remans?

Maxillius wrote: View Post
Nemesis wasn't bad. It only failed because it was released when Lord of the Rings: Return of the King and The Matrix: Revelations were both in theaters.
I disagree, I thought it was pretty bad and the way the script was written made no sense.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2011, 06:06 AM   #4
WarsTrek1993
Captain
 
Location: The Final Frontier, TX
Re: Would Nemesis had been better without the Remans?

Nemesis definitely wasn't without flaws, but it had its moments.
I felt the Remans were interesting (except for the godawful makeup they used.) If anything, it would've been better to explore them more. (And for that matter, explore Shinzon alittle more)
WarsTrek1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2011, 06:15 AM   #5
sonak
Vice Admiral
 
Location: in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
Re: Would Nemesis had been better without the Remans?

Maxillius wrote: View Post
Nemesis wasn't bad. It only failed because it was released when Lord of the Rings: Return of the King and The Matrix: Revelations were both in theaters.

then why did it lose to "Maid in Manhattan" when it opened up? "Nemesis" is The only Trek movie not to open at no.1 LOTR:TTT wasn't even out yet.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2011, 06:17 AM   #6
WarsTrek1993
Captain
 
Location: The Final Frontier, TX
Re: Would Nemesis had been better without the Remans?

Just my personal opinion. lol.
WarsTrek1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2011, 06:30 AM   #7
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Re: Would Nemesis had been better without the Remans?

The Overlord wrote: View Post
This seems less convoluted then the story we got in Nemesis.
that's the problem with your idea, it's simplistic.

sonak wrote: View Post
then why did it lose to "Maid in Manhattan" when it opened up?
Just for that reason, Maid in Manhattan was excellent, well made, good story.

Star Trek:Nemesis and Maid in Manhattan cost about the same amount. Nemesis was badly reviewed and made 67 million, Maid received wonderful reviews and starred Jenifer Lopez at the height of her movie popularity, her movie made 155 million.

Nemesis just couldn't compete after the word of mouth got out.

__________________
.
It's easy to support someones beliefs if they are identical to your own.
Tolerating beliefs that you don't personal embrace, or even fully understand, is harder.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2011, 07:21 AM   #8
The Overlord
Captain
 
Re: Would Nemesis had been better without the Remans?

T'Girl wrote: View Post
The Overlord wrote: View Post
This seems less convoluted then the story we got in Nemesis.
that's the problem with your idea, it's simplistic.

What's wrong with keeping it simple and straight forward. I somewhat believe in this principal:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2011, 07:22 AM   #9
sonak
Vice Admiral
 
Location: in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
Re: Would Nemesis had been better without the Remans?

T'Girl wrote: View Post
The Overlord wrote: View Post
This seems less convoluted then the story we got in Nemesis.
that's the problem with your idea, it's simplistic.

sonak wrote: View Post
then why did it lose to "Maid in Manhattan" when it opened up?
Just for that reason, Maid in Manhattan was excellent, well made, good story.

Star Trek:Nemesis and Maid in Manhattan cost about the same amount. Nemesis was badly reviewed and made 67 million, Maid received wonderful reviews and starred Jenifer Lopez at the height of her movie popularity, her movie made 155 million.

Nemesis just couldn't compete after the word of mouth got out.


I wasn't really comparing "Nemesis" to "Maid," just pointing out that if LOTR: TTT and other big sci-fi/fantasy blockbuster competition was behind "Nemesis'" box office failure, then the fact that it couldn't even beat out a Lopez romantic comedy before those other movies were out yet kind of blows a hole in that argument.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2011, 07:29 AM   #10
Morpheus 02
Commodore
 
Location: Chicago IL
Re: Would Nemesis had been better without the Remans?

sonak wrote: View Post
Maxillius wrote: View Post
Nemesis wasn't bad. It only failed because it was released when Lord of the Rings: Return of the King and The Matrix: Revelations were both in theaters.

then why did it lose to "Maid in Manhattan" when it opened up? "Nemesis" is The only Trek movie not to open at no.1 LOTR:TTT wasn't even out yet.
i know i was saving up for a big LOTR night (going out to the midnight show, and eating before/afterwards).

I didn't want to get movied out.

And LotR was definitely grander & more anticipated than Nemesis.

And when i heard the reviews -- definitely killed my excitement.
__________________
Morpheus 02
a.k.a.
JP Paulus jp [at] paulus . com
Morpheus 02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2011, 05:26 PM   #11
AdmiralScreed
Captain
 
AdmiralScreed's Avatar
 
Re: Would Nemesis had been better without the Remans?

I thought Shinzon was an interesting concept, and with more development and a better motivation he could have been a terrific villain. With all that said, I like your idea of putting the focus on the Romulans and eliminating the Remans from the movie entirely. The Romulans were my favorite villains in TNG, and I think a conflict between them and the Federation could have made for a far more interesting movie than what we actually got.
I would agree with WarsTrek1993 that Nemesis did have its moments, but IMO its many flaws overshadowed a lot of its good moments. I don't think Nemesis is nearly as bad as the critics and most Trek fans claim, but regardless it could have been much, much better.
Going back to how it could have been different, I like your idea of a military coup with an aggressive Romulan taking over Romulus and trying to wage war with the Federation. At the same time, I somewhat agree with T'Girl that the story would need a lot of fleshing out so that it didn't just turn into an action movie with the Federation vs. the Romulus. I'm sure that's what you intended, though, so cool idea.
AdmiralScreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2011, 10:18 PM   #12
BriGuy
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Re: Would Nemesis had been better without the Remans?

I know I was hoping for a Romulan movie. I was jazzed that they'd finally be used as the adversary in a movie, only to have those hopes dashed.

They didn't need to invent the Remans. There's enough established already.
BriGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2011, 10:36 PM   #13
Ln X
Fleet Captain
 
Ln X's Avatar
 
Location: The great gig in the sky
Re: Would Nemesis had been better without the Remans?

Nemesis was good, but I think the whole problem was Star Trek oversaturation. I always think of 1990 to 1999 as the golden age of Star Trek, nearly all of my favorite episodes are in that time period. But because everyone (Trekkies) had seen so much Star Trek the bar had to be raised to really impress us, but since it was not raised there was disappointment.

I wasn't disappointed, its a good movie to watch, but because of oversaturation Nemisis didn't stand a chance against the Matrix Reloaded, and Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. LOTR trilogy are the most amazing films of this century, nothing can compare to their epicness. So what chance did Star Trek Nemisis have?

Another problem was that the TNG crew weren't really cut out for action movies. The DS9 crew could have been up to the job, but by then it was to late. (sighs)
__________________
Star Trek: The Approaching Shadow...

Caption contest: DS9
Ln X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2011, 07:24 AM   #14
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral
 
Ar-Pharazon's Avatar
 
Re: Would Nemesis had been better without the Remans?

Certainly the Tal Shiar could have built the Scimitar in secret. It wouldn't have been the first time the intelligence agency of some race did that.

Would've been easier to believe than the "subjugated race" doing it.
__________________
Rimmer, on what period of history to live in-
“Well, It’d be the 19th century for me, one of Napoleon’s marshals.
The chance to march across Europe with the greatest general of all time and kill Belgians” - (White Hole).
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2011, 03:49 PM   #15
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Would Nemesis had been better without the Remans?

I thought the Remans were really cool. Mutant, vampiric Vulcanoids? Excellent.
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
nemesis, remans, romulans

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.