RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,670
Members: 24,822
Currently online: 438
Newest member: The Great Duck

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 25 2011, 07:50 PM   #571
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: "James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

Really? Wow. I'll have to rewatch that. It's been a long time since I last saw "Layer Cake".

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2011, 07:53 PM   #572
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Layer Cake is fantastic. One of Vaughn's best films (besides First Class) and the film that convinced me Daniel Craig would be a great James Bond. The film also stars two Harry Potter vets (Michael Gambon and George Harris) and Chief O'Brien from Star Trek: The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine.
Old November 25 2011, 07:57 PM   #573
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

It is one of my favourite films. Just haven't seen it in a while. Sienna Miller is also in the film

Old November 25 2011, 07:59 PM   #574
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
It is one of my favourite films. Just haven't seen it in a while. Sienna Miller is also in the film
Oh, I remember.
Old November 25 2011, 07:59 PM   #575
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

It occurs to me that at the press conference, Whishaw's character wasn't named, which led many to speculate that he might be Q. Naomi Harris' character has been referred to but only by first name, which has also led to speculation that she might be Moneypennny.

I had thought that Naomi was too glamorous and young to be Moneypenny, but if Q is to be 12 years Bond's junior, then it looks like at least one of the mainstays is to be radically reinvented for Skyfall. So I'm thinking the Harris-for-Moneypenny rumours were on the ball.
Old November 25 2011, 10:44 PM   #576
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Not yet quite official but fairly reliable:

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/ben-wh...d-film-skyfall

Skyfall, the latest instalment of the James Bond franchise, has cast Ben Whishaw as MI6 gadget master Q, according to various reports hitting the web today.

It will be the character's first appearance in the franchise since 2002's Die Another Day, where he was played by John Cleese.
Prior to that, Q was played by Desmond Llewelyn, who owned the role for an impressive 36 years.
Q is the character who supplies Bond with all of his nifty hi-tech gadgets and espionage equipment in the movies.
Traditionally, the actor playing Q has been older than James Bond, but that's set to change here (Whishaw's 31, Craig's 43).
Craig is appearing as 007 for the third time in Skyfall.
Ben Whishaw has already acted opposite Craig, in 2004 ganster Brit-flick Layer Cake.
And, not that we're saying we told you so or anything, but we did have our money on Whishaw playing Q:
Q AND Moneypenny!

This just keeps getting better and better....

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2011, 11:20 PM   #577
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Really? Wow. I'll have to rewatch that. It's been a long time since I last saw "Layer Cake".

Mendes- Three Character's fan might recognize played by three actors

Ben Whishaw

Albert Finney

Ralph Fiennes

Ben Whishaw- Q

That's one down and two to go!
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2011, 02:43 AM   #578
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

As a fan of the pre-Craig Bond movies, my reaction to this news was a bit like Baldrick's outburst in this scene from Black Adder the Third:

YouTube| The Death Of The Scarlett Pimpernel

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2011, 07:35 AM   #579
KB24
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to KB24 Send a message via Yahoo to KB24

Glad there will be a Q and Moneypenny, and I do love Layer Cake, but who the hell is this guy?

Outside of the obvious young gadgetry appeal, what are the motives to making some sort of tech guru or young geeky Q? I already thought we had the badass younger Bond with Craig's reinventions, so why would Q be younger? This really confuses me, as it might have been nice to have something slightly similar to a cranky old man in an effort to get things back on track.

Eh, must wait and see.
http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.com
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2011, 07:46 AM   #580
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

It's possible that the new Quartermaster will be recently recruited by MI-5 in the film. I have no problem with Q being younger than Bond. I also don't think that the movie will be bogged down with gadgets galore. While not abundant there have been a few cool devices that we've seen in the two films. I see this as just the continued maturation of Craig's Bond. He is progressing, evolving into the seasoned agent we are familiar with in the books and previous films.

Old November 26 2011, 07:52 AM   #581
Aldo
Admiral

I think it's interesting to point out that Arnold still hasn't been confirmed as the composer of the film.

Arnold or not, it seems like they are waiting a while to reveal who it will be. Perhaps they haven't figured that out yet? When does a composer typically start scoring the film?
Old November 26 2011, 08:11 AM   #582
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

IIRC it is when they wrap filming. I assume that a composer will read the script (which I believe that Arnold has stated he was going to or already has) which generates his ideas for the music that he or she will write. Then when they start getting footage they compose the score. It's not unusual for a composer not to be confirmed this "late".

"Man of Steel" still doesn't have a composer yet and principal photography wraps in early Jan sometime.

Old November 26 2011, 08:33 AM   #583
Candlelight
Admiral

So glad we're going back to the gadgets. The first two Craig movies were just blah.
Old November 26 2011, 05:12 PM   #584
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Rush Limborg wrote: View Post
Not yet quite official but fairly reliable:

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/ben-wh...d-film-skyfall

Skyfall, the latest instalment of the James Bond franchise, has cast Ben Whishaw as MI6 gadget master Q, according to various reports hitting the web today.

It will be the character's first appearance in the franchise since 2002's Die Another Day, where he was played by John Cleese.
Prior to that, Q was played by Desmond Llewelyn, who owned the role for an impressive 36 years.
Q is the character who supplies Bond with all of his nifty hi-tech gadgets and espionage equipment in the movies.
Traditionally, the actor playing Q has been older than James Bond, but that's set to change here (Whishaw's 31, Craig's 43).
Craig is appearing as 007 for the third time in Skyfall.
Ben Whishaw has already acted opposite Craig, in 2004 ganster Brit-flick Layer Cake.
And, not that we're saying we told you so or anything, but we did have our money on Whishaw playing Q:
Q AND Moneypenny!

This just keeps getting better and better....
Moneypenny may be in it (see my post a few places up), but it's not official yet

KB24 wrote: View Post
Glad there will be a Q and Moneypenny,
What I said above.

and I do love Layer Cake, but who the hell is this guy?
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0924210/

Outside of the obvious young gadgetry appeal, what are the motives to making some sort of tech guru or young geeky Q? I already thought we had the badass younger Bond with Craig's reinventions, so why would Q be younger? This really confuses me, as it might have been nice to have something slightly similar to a cranky old man in an effort to get things back on track.
Why make M female? Why make Bond blond? Maybe Wishaw was just the best person who auditioned for the role.

Eh, must wait and see.
Exactly!

Candlelight wrote: View Post
So glad we're going back to the gadgets. The first two Craig movies were just blah.
We may or may not be going to the gadgets. Q appeared in OHMSS, which is hardly gadget-laden. In the recent Jeffrey Deaver Bond novel there is a Q department but Bond's tecchiest piece of kit is a super Iphone (or IQphone). Q may simply be the Quartermaster.
Old November 27 2011, 08:56 PM   #585
Candlelight
Admiral

Candlelight wrote: View Post
We may or may not be going to the gadgets. Q appeared in OHMSS, which is hardly gadget-laden. In the recent Jeffrey Deaver Bond novel there is a Q department but Bond's tecchiest piece of kit is a super Iphone (or IQphone). Q may simply be the Quartermaster.
Chekov's Gun and the mentality of today's audience.

If Q is there, the gadgets must follow.