RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,664
Members: 24,815
Currently online: 427
Newest member: AlphaZero

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old November 10 2011, 02:13 AM   #166
Kokomo
Commander

Re: Talk of Bryan Singer's BSG project resurfaces

Do you think the new movie will have anything to do with the Moore's NuBSG? I feel like if they are gonna make it different, then make it different.
Old November 10 2011, 02:20 AM   #167
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

It will be a big-budget action adventure movie. In that, it's likely to borrow quite a bit visually from the original BSG - essentially, a Star Wars rip-off - in terms of big spaceship battles, etc.

The Cylons may reasonably be expected to be very sophisticated and dangerous CG killer robots, entire armies of them, maybe utilizing a couple of familiar design elements from the centurions in oldBSG and their CG descendants in nuBSG (okay, one motif - the red eye).

The characters will have the same names that have been used in both previous versions - Adama, Apollo, Starbuck, probably Baltar.

The costuming and set design will be entirely its own thing. The Galactica will be huge and follow the lines of both previous ships, with outboard landing/launch bays.

The tone will be much darker than oldBSG because the tone of everything aimed at young males is much darker than entertainments of twenty-five years or more gone by.

To the extent that the whole affair will be a good deal less naive, more violent and considerably sexed up it will resemble nuBSG more than oldBSG. To whatever extent the story, characters, themes and dialogue aren't flat-out too stupid not to laugh at it will resemble nuBSG over oldBSG.
Old November 10 2011, 03:00 AM   #168
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Don't go out on a limb, now.
Old November 10 2011, 03:31 AM   #169
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

This should be interesting at any rate. The only other project I can think of that has had two really different takes in such a short span would probably be Star Trek. It should be fun to contrast the nu and the nuNu and hopefully it will be a decent work in its own right.
Old November 11 2011, 11:39 PM   #170
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

I feel like when it comes out there will be a torrent of critics saying "save your time and rent Moore's BSG DVDs" and nuBSG will get more love as a result.

Either that or it will actually be good and that's win/win
Old November 11 2011, 11:44 PM   #171
Wereghost
Commodore

This forum and others of a similar nature should get a lot busier, at any rate. I'm surprised that the more militant fans/detractors of each version don't seem to have come out of the woodwork as yet.

Maybe when Starbuck is cast...
Old November 12 2011, 02:10 AM   #172
The Wormhole
Admiral

Scrawny71 wrote: View Post
I'm surprised that the more militant fans/detractors of each version don't seem to have come out of the woodwork as yet.
Good point. I'd love to hear Languatron's thoughts on this...
Old November 12 2011, 05:44 AM   #173
Kokomo
Commander

I have a feeling that Singer is going to try and revitalize the idea that he had years back when he was trying to get his BSG series off the ground. It won't necessarily be a direct continuation, but it will use TOS as a background by which this new one is established. Hell, he may even reuse the whole, "Boxey is now known as, Orin and is in charge of the fleet" premise.

I just want to see some cool updated designs, some kick-ass action and some cylon raiders coming in from every direction. I don't think that's too much to ask for.
Old November 17 2011, 09:00 AM   #174
Kokomo
Commander

New information on Bryan Singer's upcoming movie version of Battlestar Galactica:

Courtesy of Latino Review:

Speaking of Bryan Singer and the Seventies, he’s been developing for two years now a movie version of BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, this also at Universal. And yet they have no script, only tons of porqueria previz art and designs. This is probably because there is no one producing the movie, unless you count Glen Larson, who created the TV Show and we don’t.

You see papi chulos like Singer spend all year making finished films and if there is no one watching the project it doesn’t move on.

Also, this project is an especially bad idea because it is not a movie version of the critically acclaimed recent TV revival, it is a film version of the 1970s show complete with Egyptian Helmets and robot dogs called Daggets. Who farted? Aye fo! Wasn’t me!

The Studio executive who should be moving this thing along has been too busy playing the “Career Preservation” game after he let Guillermo del Toro’s AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS implode while pushing through the horrendous remake of THE THING.

Link
Old November 17 2011, 10:22 AM   #175
stonester1
Rear Admiral

vampgrrl wrote: View Post
I don't understand how it can't have the unremitting grimmness. Its the end of the world, the end of civilization. Even as a child I loved the oBSG but it occurred to me at 5, how lightly they treated what was such a dire situation.

If anything RDM's version wasn't grim enough.
Even at the end of the world, if there is life...life goes on.

I LOVE RDM's take on BSG...but I don't agree his approach is the only one possible.
Old November 17 2011, 02:55 PM   #176
David cgc
Vice Admiral

I'd like to see some of this previz art.
Old November 17 2011, 03:02 PM   #177
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Kokomo wrote: View Post
This is probably because there is no one producing the movie, unless you count Glen Larson, who created the TV Show and we don’t.

There's not much information in there, though, unless you count the news that the movie has no producer at this point.

The 2001 revival was DeSanto's project.
Old November 21 2011, 12:31 AM   #178
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^ I learned Singer is a papi chulo.
Old November 21 2011, 02:22 PM   #179
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

stonester1 wrote: View Post
vampgrrl wrote: View Post
I don't understand how it can't have the unremitting grimmness. Its the end of the world, the end of civilization. Even as a child I loved the oBSG but it occurred to me at 5, how lightly they treated what was such a dire situation.

If anything RDM's version wasn't grim enough.
Even at the end of the world, if there is life...life goes on.

I LOVE RDM's take on BSG...but I don't agree his approach is the only one possible.
Yeah but just think of America after 9/11. Now imagine that instead of the twin towers, every skyscraper in New York was destroyed. Now the entire city of New York. The entire east coast. The whole nation. The whole continent. The whole hemisphere. The whole planet. The whole planet and 11 others just like it.

The analogy was 9/11 but in reality it would be many orders of magnitude more traumatic, more grim, more harrowing.
Old November 22 2011, 06:25 PM   #180
vampgrrl
Fleet Captain

I actually wanted to see RDM do a 1 off BSG episode that followed an ordinary family or couple on vacation/business trip from the outbreak of nuclear war to some point in the series.
Everyone you know is dead. Your belongings? Gone. Your community, your world? Gone.
That favorite C-Bucs jersey your Dad gave you? Gone. Dad? Gone.

I would think it would be enough to drive most civilians insane.