Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eckauskas

Eckauskas Commander Red Shirt

My game keeps crashing on board Earth Spacedock. I'm getting about 30 seconds of gameplay before it crashes.

Anyone had the same problem?

2. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

When it goes F2P can I reinstall from the disk or do I have to download a dedicated F2P client?

3. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

you can reinstall from the disc, but then you will probably get a huge patch to do anyway.

4. Trek

Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

5. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Um, do we really have to reinstall if you go silver? I though you just could't use your gold character without the conversion thing so at worst you need to make a new character.

Thats interesting.

6. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

^ and a little voice in my head automatically responded with "Pray i don't alter it any further..." :) Seems like the more they play with the game economics, the less valuable that stipend gets...

Real question becomes whether the Silver account would be limited enough that you would actually spend $410 in those 17 months if you were buying points. With what they are doing to differentiate things at the moment, I'd tend to doubt I'd spend that much.

7. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I took Admiral Kirk's question to mean that he has a copy of the game, but does not currently have it installed on his computer. In that case, yes, he would need to install the game, update the launcher and download patches. Anyone else who already has the game installed will simply receive launcher and patch updates.

8. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Just to clarify, that's exactly what I meant. Thanks for the answer. :)

9. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

In that case as long as you entered in your key I think you don't need to worry.

10. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

They stated that there would be a converter for players that wanted to keep using the characters created under a paid subscription.

I bought another copy of the game Saturday for 2 Euro (about $3). You can find the Collector's Edition and Deluxe Digital Download for cheap. If you wanted to go the F2P route, I recommend starting a Gold character and switching to Silver later. To my knowledge you would keep the bonus items.

11. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

Just to check if this is true, is it not possible to get the Tier 3 Excelsior with your free ship token when you get promoted? Wondering if I should bother trying to save up for it, or is it possible to sell off the free T3 ship and use credits towards it? This won't come up for a while methinks, only a Lt. 9 at the moment, so I won't be rushing into picking my T3 ship just yet :p

12. Timelord Victorious

No, At the moment you can still buy it with enough energy credits I believe which is a very cheap ingame method. Come free to play it will be C-Store only, so get it now if you want it.

13. PsychoPere

In fact, get it before the Dec 1st through 8th timeframe for the Tribble build to come live to Holodeck, if you can, since at that point we will be playing on the F2P code; same with the Delta Flyer and the T3 Nebula.

14. Timelord Victorious

Best way to make the necessary cash in short time is to play the exchange, don't bother will leveling to much, go out and get data samples/anomalies from the exploration clusters.
    A couple of rare ones should be enough to net you both ships (Excelsior and Nebula). If you are smart you combine that with doing the delta flyer daily and you might just cut it in time to craft that yourself. You need 10 days, so barely enough time.

15. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

16. SilentP

How does one 'play' the exchange, or that matter use it/whats it for? Not actually tried using it yet.

17. Timelord Victorious

It's a tool to sell items to other players for Energy Credits. You can sell every item that is not bound to your character.
    So if you have a valuable item that is in demand but not really usefull to yourself you can post it there with an offer how much credits you want for it. Other players can then see the offer and decide to buy it. If no one buys it, the item will be returned to you.
    I would suggest to look what the current best price is for the item and undercut that for your own offer.
    Keep in mind that it might not be worth to sell on the exchange if the best price is not significantly more then half the designated in game value. In that case just sell to a vendor.
    If you are unable to raise the funds for the excelsior in time by yourself feel free to ask me or Trek for fleet help. We can then help you out.

18. PsychoPere

I'm not in the TrekBBS fleet, but I'm also willing to help out whenever I can. My in-game handle is @psychogobstopper.

19. SilentP

Cheers for the offers, guys :) Seems that a visit to the Exchange was all it took. Turned out I was holding on to some trace data samples that meant I was able to fetch 170,000+ :p Hopefully the net outage I had for a moment didn't lose me any of that :)

20. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

ditto

@captainsatyr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.