To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 20 2011, 05:27 AM   #16
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy
Re: The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 Movie Discussion

Dream wrote: View Post
I liked this movie. It was extremely faithful to the book.

The story was fine. The first part of the movie dragged a little with the wedding, but I guess the fangirls loved that part. Kristen was looking very fine in the lingerie scenes. The sex scenes felt like something from network television, but I guess they couldn't do too much with it since the kiddies were watching.

Once the movie gets to the island. the story finally picks up with Bella getting pregnant with the vampire baby. It almost turns into a damn horror movie and the entire childbirth thing seems like something that doesn't belong in Twilight. The book had the same problems, so I can see why fans gave it mixed reviews. I'm so glad those scenes were very intense, but they weren't too graphic.

I thought the acting for the three main characters improved.

The cliffhanger was obvious, but was still well done.

Eclipse is still my favorite book/novel, and this movie is up there as second or third best. Glad to see the movie doing well. These movies are my guilty pleasures. They aren't written well, but they are damn entertaining.

Ashley Greene is STILL the best thing about these movies, loved her new cute hair cut. I wish she had been in the movie more though.

B+
one thing that I am pissed about this movie was the begining of the film was the ending to eclipse. and they still cut a lot out of the books. just like they did with the Harry potter films.

alice is still my favorite vamp babe.

though I will say during the hole bed room sceen we finally get to see that bella has a nice ass.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2011, 06:55 AM   #17
Mike Farley
Commodore

MNM wrote: View Post
It was a truely terrible film. Bad acting, which caused lots of unintentional laughter from the audience in the screen I was in. There is a tiny bit of action which is not very good and the rest of the film is boring standing around with bad actors spouting badly written dialouge.
You forgot about the parts here lame pop music plays and people stare "meaningfully" into space.

And I would just like to state that if you are a vampire doctor and it takes you a couple of months to realize that the half-vampire baby might need blood... well, you should retunr your medical license to whatever cracker jack box you got it from.

Also, I thought Twi-pires sparkled in the sunlight? Because none of these do.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2011, 06:57 AM   #18
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

I believe it has to be direct sun light.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2011, 12:13 PM   #19
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Probably... but there were times when Edward and Bella were on the beach in Rio and it was sunny outside, seems to me that he should've gone sparkly there.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2011, 02:44 PM   #20
Dream
Admiral

Mike Farley wrote: View Post
You forgot about the parts here lame pop music plays and people stare "meaningfully" into space.
This has been around since the first movie. Remember that these movies are aimed at the teen audience and soundtracks need to be sold. At least the soundtracks have gotten good reviews on Amazon though.

And I would just like to state that if you are a vampire doctor and it takes you a couple of months to realize that the half-vampire baby might need blood... well, you should retunr your medical license to whatever cracker jack box you got it from.
I heard three weeks not three months. Bella would be a corpse if she had not had eaten for that long.

While he was a doctor that was a vampire, he wasn't a doctor on vampires. He only had a medical license on humans. This is something new to him. None of them knew what the hell was going on.

Also, I thought Twi-pires sparkled in the sunlight? Because none of these do.
I thought that was a mistake or the writers decided to ignore it in this movie.
Old November 20 2011, 05:03 PM   #21
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Carlise may not be a "vampire doctor" but he's been a vampire for centuries(?). It shouldn't have taken too much thought to think it would crave blood, it was afterall half-vampire!

I did think it was funny an errant thought by Jacob was the solution. I thought they jumped too quickly to her needing human blood. They could have tried animal blood first.
Old November 20 2011, 06:45 PM   #22
JediKnightButler
Captain

View JediKnightButler's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to JediKnightButler Send a message via AIM to JediKnightButler Send a message via Yahoo to JediKnightButler

I'm not a huge Twilight fan but I thought that the movies have been pretty enjoyable, particularly the last one (which I thought was the best). This first part of BD was a lot of setup (presumably for the next part) and dragged along until Bella discovered she was pregnant and things got tense between the wolves and the Cullens, as well as between Jacob and Edward.

The first part of the movie- starting with Bella's pregnancy- reminded me a little of the Vampire pregnancy storyline from S3 of Angel- there being a mystical Vampire pregnancy that the pregnant character is struggling to take to term because of incompatible physiology and there are a lot of outside players trying to destroy it, take it, or figure out how it happened. I suspect that the second part will probably be more enjoyable/entertaining now that the buildup to the birth has been addressed and Bella's outcome has been....ahem.....determined. I loved the abrupt ending but it was a bit jarring to go from such a serious ending to bouncy alt rock music for the credits.

I haven't read the book so I don't know exactly if they needed two movies to get everything crucial in it but, like with the last HP movie, I was so engaged in the movie by the end that I really think that, given a brief intermission, I could've been able to sit through another 2 hours and finish it- though I understand that having both parts together would make it commercially difficult for movie theaters. I can't believe that we have to wait a whole freakin' year to see the conclusion. *ugh*
Old November 20 2011, 06:57 PM   #23
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

stonester1 wrote: View Post
Neroon wrote: View Post
O'Dib wrote: View Post
I have nothing to contribute about the franchise itself, except to say.. does everyone else think of breaking wind when they see that title?
(raises hand)
Or the title of the second Spinal Tap album, "Break Like The Wind".

I saw a quote from Stephen King recently comparing Twilight to Harry Potter...take it away, Mr. King...

"Harry Potter is about confronting fears, finding inner strengths, and doing what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend."

There you go.
I love Stephen King so much.
CommanderRaytas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2011, 08:25 PM   #24
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

My understanding is a lot happens in the second book necessitating two parts. From what I understand:

Old November 20 2011, 11:04 PM   #25
Dream
Admiral

JediKnightButler wrote: View Post
The first part of the movie- starting with Bella's pregnancy- reminded me a little of the Vampire pregnancy storyline from S3 of Angel- there being a mystical Vampire pregnancy that the pregnant character is struggling to take to term because of incompatible physiology and there are a lot of outside players trying to destroy it, take it, or figure out how it happened.
Damn, I totally forgot about the Darla storyline in S3 of Angel. I'm a huge fan of that show. Yeah, vampires can get pregnancy in other fiction. I thought it was weird how some people found that so hard to believe.

The BD book is interesting. It was like the author somehow KNEW her movie was going to be made into two movies, so she had that that part with Bella opening her eyes as the cliffhanger. There is a ton of stuff in the second part of the movie. I don't think it will be too hard for them to make a movie about it at all.
Old November 21 2011, 04:21 AM   #26
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

For a touch of entertainment value:

Spoony Vlogs about the movie.... for an hour and twenty minutes. Behind-the-scenes, it seems Spoony has recently broken up with his girlfriend -or whatever status him and his ex had- and he's going through severe depression and is not coping with it well and has turned to some degree to alcohol. So there's a lot of him ranting in this episode and it gets slightly worse as the alcohol takes effect. You can probably skip around a bit when you can see he's getting into a tangent.

FWIW, Spoony does not like these movies so he rails on this one pretty good. Also with him, via internet audio chat (or Skype or something) is Linkara (Atop the Fourth Wall on Channel Awesome, and some other internet b/vlogger I'm not familiar with.)

LINK
Old November 21 2011, 04:39 AM   #27
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The title of this movie makes me think of when Buffy's sister lost her virginity.

And I doubt I'm the only one.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2011, 04:53 AM   #28
Dream
Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
The title of this movie makes me think of when Buffy's sister lost her virginity.

And I doubt I'm the only one.
What a coincidence. Bella also loses her virginity in this movie.

It was in all the damn trailers.
Old November 21 2011, 05:13 AM   #29
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

The movie made $139m over it's opening weekend.

One hundred

Thirty Nine

MILLION!

That's pretty damn obscene amount of money.

It more than paid for itself in the opening weekend.
Old November 21 2011, 05:18 AM   #30
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

This movie made nearly 140 million dollars this weekend, because people in general do not care what sffantasy geeks think is good or bad.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote