Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old November 19 2011, 01:44 PM   #1
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Endless list of Treklit trivia

Random, specific tidbits of trivia from Star Trek books, comics, etc. Just for fun. No big spoilers. It doesn’t matter if they fit into current continuity or not. If you add one, include a citation.

The Kikmu and the Petraw were using quantum torpedoes over a century before the Federation. (Gateways #1: One Small Step)

One of Dr. Pulaski’s ex-husbands was Bajoran. (Double Helix #2: Vectors)

1000 years ago, a plague killed 90% of the Nausicaan population. (Double Helix #2: Vectors)

Sulu was born on Alpha Mensa Five (Spock: Messiah!) (according to Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, Sulu was born in San Fransisco)

The largest gas giant in Federation space is called “T’Pol’s World” (Captain’s Peril)
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2011, 03:07 PM   #2
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Re: Endless list of Treklit trivia

The original feud between Tellarites and Andorians began when Tellar's new world-government was presented the sacred colAndor scrolls by an Andorian delegation - then refused to give them back. (Gateways: Doors Into Chaos) (It's not really explained, but I wonder if the Tellarites were simply taking the opportunity to start a really big argument and then became offended when the Andorians misread their Civil overtures as true aggression?).

The three Andorians who crewed the original Kumari were Shetthius, Shintral, and Chorna (Mission Gamma: Twilight -- the three are named as the first Andorians to circumnavigate their globe. Enterprise later named the first ship to do so as Kumari).

In one of those "astonishing coincidences", Nausicaans apparently worship "the Four Winds". (Warpath). Or is "Nausicaan" some Human translator's take on a name meaning "people of the wind?"

Tiburonian scholars have a reputation, at least among Humans, for being brilliantly clever but "difficult" (Double Helix: Quarantine). Interesting, given the Tiburonians' love-hate relationship with science (Unspoken Truth) and the depiction of their homeworld as both aggressively "progressive" scientifically/technologically while supporting large traditionalist tribes like Ledrah's (Titan: The Red King).

Deep blue is a colour associated with royalty among Thallonians - only the Imperial Family may wear it (Double Helix: The First Virtue). I wonder how imperious the UFP emblem looks to Thallonian eyes?

The leader of the Holy Order of the Kinshaya is the Pontifex Maxima; as the title suggests, typically a female. The current PM is Ykredna. (The Struggle Within) And another nation has its government fleshed out! Now, who leads the Sheliak Corporate? For all I know, it's Harcourt Fenton Mudd.

Last edited by Deranged Nasat; November 19 2011 at 03:24 PM.
Deranged Nasat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2011, 03:53 PM   #3
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
1000 years ago, a plague killed 90% of the Nausicaan population. (Double Helix #2: Vectors)
I assume the implication is supposed to be that their social infrastructure collapsed because of this? That whatever systems of government and law they had in place beforehand were replaced by lawless might-makes-right mentality, roving bands of survivors, etc? And this set the tone for what followed. Hence why an advanced spacefaring species now seems composed largely of thugs and violent gangs?
Old November 19 2011, 05:20 PM   #4
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
Now, who leads the Sheliak Corporate?
AFAIK the leader of the Sheliak is called a 'Director' and the general population are the 'Membership'.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2011, 05:38 PM   #5
bok2384
Commander

View bok2384's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bok2384

Spock graduated from Starfleet Academy at the age of 19, having completed an accelerated course of study especially prepared for Vulcan cadets. (Vulcan's Glory)

Prior to his service aboard the Enterprise under Captain Pike, Spock served as an assistant science officer aboard a space cutter for three years, and then an additional two years serving as third officer aboard the USS Artemis, under Captain Daniels. (Vulcan's Glory)

In its early days, Starfleet had a policy of recruiting "highly intelligent individuals". However, following a Vulcan report on the pitfalls of that particular policy, Starfleet Academy recruited a class of students with "limited intelligent agility". Among this class was James T. Kirk. (Star Trek: The Motion Picture novelization)

During his time at the Academy, Leonard McCoy served as Kirk's dorm monitor and, on at least one occassion, caught the younger man sneaking out to an inappropriate party. (The Captain's Table: War Dragons)
Old November 19 2011, 05:51 PM   #6
JD
Admiral

The refit USS Enterprise had a crew wide BBS. (Spock's World)
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2011, 06:52 AM   #7
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

I can't remember which novel this was, but some of the Enterprise crew in TOS literally had no first names, only last.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old November 20 2011, 07:06 AM   #8
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

The Cetacean probe's builders more closely resembled dolphins rather than whales (Probe)

The Ice Age on Earth was caused by Q diverting an asteroid into the Sol system (The Q Continuum)

The El-Aurians were the first species assimilated by the Borg (Vendetta - we cannot be sure, but it's since been rendered unlikely by both live action productions and the novels)
Mr Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2011, 07:10 AM   #9
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

^ Destiny has rendered that last point moot.
Old November 20 2011, 07:15 AM   #10
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

As did the VOY episode "Dragon's Teeth" where it's claimed that the Borg have been around for over 700 years. And if you remember in "Time's Arrow" - which takes place in the 19th century, Guinan says that she is hiding from her father on Earth, suggesting that the El-Aurian homeworld is still around. It was essentially rendered moot before TNG even ended!
Mr Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2011, 09:46 AM   #11
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

During his time as First Officer of the heavy cruiser USS El Dorado, Kirk served under a legendary Andorian captain, Prince Fiawol, who was also Subarch of Trexlor. (Note that FIAWOL is an acronym, ie. he is named for the science fiction fans' catchphrase, "Fandom is a way of life".)

The crew of this ship represented an experimental mix of many races (predating USS Titan) and was 23 percent Andorian, according to a book entitled Starship Crewmen Under Stress by Dr David Marano [according to the chapter "Kirk" in Star Trek II Biographies by William Rotsler, Wanderer, 1982].
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2011, 11:29 AM   #12
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
KingDaniel wrote: View Post
I assume the implication is supposed to be that their social infrastructure collapsed because of this? That whatever systems of government and law they had in place beforehand were replaced by lawless might-makes-right mentality, roving bands of survivors, etc? And this set the tone for what followed. Hence why an advanced spacefaring species now seems composed largely of thugs and violent gangs?
I guess so - but it would mean the Nausiccans were in space ten centuries ago!
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I can't remember which novel this was, but some of the Enterprise crew in TOS literally had no first names, only last.
I think that's Gene's TMP novelization. In vaguely related trivia, according to early Best of Trek books, at conventions in the 70's, George Takei claimed Sulu's first name was Walter.
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2011, 12:38 PM   #13
captcalhoun
Admiral

Number One's name was... Number One.

(several books)
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2011, 01:59 PM   #14
Christopher
Writer

Admiral M wrote: View Post
The Ice Age on Earth was caused by Q diverting an asteroid into the Sol system (The Q Continuum)
Which ice age? There have been at least five major ones.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2011, 02:02 PM   #15
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

Christopher wrote: View Post
Admiral M wrote: View Post
Which ice age? There have been at least five major ones.
I was thinking the same thing. As most people only think or know about the most recent one, I assumed it would be that one.

Unless it made planet fall, I'm not sure how an asteroid being diverted into the system would cause problems on Earth given the shear amount of them in the system already.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote