Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old November 18 2011, 11:03 PM   #1621
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: Minecraft

Minecraft 1.0 is released!

(But you can't play it, because minecraft.net is down. )
Old November 18 2011, 11:14 PM   #1622
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Just downloaded it, it just took a dozen or so clicks of the 'Retry' button. That was to be expected though, with a million or so people trying to download at once.

Anyway, happy release day everyone. We're an official game now!
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2011, 12:59 AM   #1623
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

That's right, us fans are now slightly less hipsterish.

I spawned a new world to test it, found a huge snow biome. I wont be playing it much for a while though, I've got Byzantines that need hook-blading in Assassin's Creed Revelations.
Old November 19 2011, 01:31 AM   #1624
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I started a new world and played for a while. I noticed some of the new touches--yet more new chest sounds, the breaking of tools, the dripping water. Haven't noticed any actual changes to the game mechanics yet. I did notice shift-clicking doesn't move things to/from chests anymore.

Something else is that coal and iron are a lot more common, from what I can tell.

Keep in mind I didn't really play the 1.9pre versions, so this is all new to me.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2011, 01:38 AM   #1625
Steven
Admiral

Ok, just updated it and now I have some greyish-dark green grass nearby in one of my newer worlds. Anyone else seen that?

[edit]
Oh, it might be for a swamp biome thing as the trees nearby have the same thing going on.
Old November 19 2011, 02:08 AM   #1626
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Yeah, that sounds like biome coloring to me.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2011, 03:33 AM   #1627
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

I probably won't be playing it until the server's updated. There's nothing new that I'm absolutely dying to try that can't wait until the server's back up.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2011, 06:06 PM   #1628
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Steven wrote: View Post
Ok, just updated it and now I have some greyish-dark green grass nearby in one of my newer worlds. Anyone else seen that?

[edit]
Oh, it might be for a swamp biome thing as the trees nearby have the same thing going on.
It changes the colour of the water as well. Sadly, my main base in SSP has now become a hideous swamp when it used to be a nice vibrant green. I'm thinking of throwing some vines up and abandoning the place, pretend it was ruined in some horrible catastrophe.
Old November 19 2011, 08:11 PM   #1629
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

I seem to have run into a problem with my texture pack. Everything seems to load okay except the water texture, which for some reason seems to be stubbornly remaining in the default texture. I've no idea whats going wrong as its always worked in the past. This is going to require more research. Otherwise, I'm quite happy with it thus far. Though I forgot how lonely single player feels.

Oh, and the History of Minecraft vid they used to open Minecon has turned up on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj1iJ...layer_embedded
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Last edited by Cutter John; November 19 2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old November 20 2011, 10:24 PM   #1630
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

As a note, the seed "Barg's root beer" produces a good unique map in 1.0
Old November 21 2011, 12:42 AM   #1631
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Minecraft really needs an internal texturepack and mod browser. I HATE having to use those download sites to download what I need everytime. They tend to be like minefields. I can't even download my favourite one because of that.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2011, 03:49 AM   #1632
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

I just google it and see if it turns up a link on the minecraft forums.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2011, 04:29 AM   #1633
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

I just keep all my textures in a directory, then after an update drag and drop them manually into the jar using Winzip. Takes about a half hour.

Which is why I don't bother with the pre-releases.
Old November 21 2011, 06:27 AM   #1634
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Itisnotlogical wrote: View Post
I just google it and see if it turns up a link on the minecraft forums.
Yeah, I know. I do that too, but it seems every modder uses those file hosting services, so you can never have a direct link as the download link is hidden by whatever service they use. I just wish there'd be an internal mod and texturepack updater, so that when you have your texture pack selected, it updates it when there's a new update.

Anyway, one of the first things I noticed about 1.0? Moon phases! We have moon phases, baby! I wonder if this means the wolves will howl at the moon when it's a full moon Werewolves can't be too far behind, can they? In fact, it would be rather neat if they turned into werewolves at night. They're pretty useless as it is, so I'd rather see them do something interesting like that.
Old November 21 2011, 10:01 PM   #1635
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Making progress on the Titanic. It's slow, but then I'm also working slowly on it so that I don't get burned out on it. It's big enough that it shows up in the unzoomed c10t map. Last night I finished the floor. Many more of these to come.