Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old November 18 2011, 03:15 AM   #151
Chuckling
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Questions for Bring Back Janeway Panel

Markira wrote: View Post
AuntKate wrote: View Post

I'd love to see a really good author take the Voyager relaunch, include all the original crew, and write a compelling (and plausible) series of novels about them following Endgame. I personally think they would sell like hotcakes.
This is exactly what I'd love as well. Is there a petition I can sign?
Petition? Why bother with a petition? That won't make any difference. If you really want something there's nothing like doing it for yourself! Write away Aunt Kate and Marieka! Hop to it! Then submit it to the publishers like any other author and maybe if they see how such a series could work they might be interested. Enough time will have passed by then that they may change their mind. http://series.simonandschuster.com/Star-Trek-Voyager You could contact Simon and Schuster to see whether they accept manuscripts directly or via an agent. http://www.simonandschuster.com/ Chuckling
Old November 18 2011, 12:56 PM   #152
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Pragmatism is anathematic to forumlife buddy.

This is from TV.

No idea where...

"Have you lost weight this week?"

"Nope. Gave up on that, when I figured out that it would be easier to change the perceptions of everyone in the world rather than do a dozen push ups in a row."

Such thinking extends well beyond mere vain self help.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2011, 10:46 PM   #153
Chuckling
Lieutenant Commander

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Pragmatism is anathematic to forumlife buddy.

This is from TV.

No idea where...

"Have you lost weight this week?"

"Nope. Gave up on that, when I figured out that it would be easier to change the perceptions of everyone in the world rather than do a dozen push ups in a row."

Such thinking extends well beyond mere vain self help.

Too true, too true!

And infommercials take it all the way to the bank.

Chuckling
Old November 18 2011, 11:42 PM   #154
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Chuckling wrote: View Post
You could contact Simon and Schuster to see whether they accept manuscripts directly or via an agent.
I can already tell you. Yes, you need a recognised literary agent, but you only send a proposal and a few sample chapters. You are asked not to write any more of your novel until contacted by the Pocket editor (and perhaps asked to finish the book incorporating changes that would be needed to have it pass muster with CBS Consumer Products). But this novel is more like a job application, to get you noticed among the hundreds of other new applicants - and then, if you are selected to pitch, it is more likely that the editor will commission a whole new novel with you, rather than the one you suggested with your first manuscript.

You novel should be set squarely within the canonical series you are writing for: ie. a "typical", self-contained Voyager episode. Not a sequel or prequel and not a crossover with other TV series or ST novels/comics. Any new version of a post-Relaunch story would go straight to the Reject pile. (Save that idea for if you get to pitch.) This process is a job interview. If you don't follow the directions, you are seemingly suggesting that you won't play by the boss's rules on future assignments.

When John Ordover was on the editorial staff at Pocket, he also used to say that new writers who already had two original (ie. non Star Trek) science fiction novel sales under their belt were more likely to impress him. They had already proven to him that they had the stamina to finish a whole novel, create original characters, write in the genre and meet deadlines.

The odds are astronomical. There are only 12 slots a year and most of these go to well established, professional writers who are also well established as reliable ST authors with the Pocket staff.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2011, 12:26 AM   #155
Chuckling
Lieutenant Commander

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
You could contact Simon and Schuster to see whether they accept manuscripts directly or via an agent.
I can already tell you. Yes, you need a recognised literary agent, but you only send a proposal and a few sample chapters. You are asked not to write any more of your novel until contacted by the Pocket editor (and perhaps asked to finish the book incorporating changes that would be needed to have it pass muster with CBS Consumer Products). But this novel is more like a job application, to get you noticed among the hundreds of other new applicants - and then, if you are selected to pitch, it is more likely that the editor will commission a whole new novel with you, rather than the one you suggested with your first manuscript.

You novel should be set squarely within the canonical series you are writing for: ie. a "typical", self-contained Voyager episode. Not a sequel or prequel and not a crossover with other TV series or ST novels/comics. Any new version of a post-Relaunch story would go straight to the Reject pile. (Save that idea for if you get to pitch.) This process is a job interview. If you don't follow the directions, you are seemingly suggesting that you won't play by the boss's rules on future assignments.

When John Ordover was on the editorial staff at Pocket, he also used to say that new writers who already had two original (ie. non Star Trek) science fiction novel sales under their belt were more likely to impress him. They had already proven to him that they had the stamina to finish a whole novel, create original characters, write in the genre and meet deadlines.

The odds are astronomical. There are only 12 slots a year and most of these go to well established, professional writers who are also well established as reliable ST authors with the Pocket staff.
Welcome to reality!

You are so right. When people make demands about what "needs" to be written they are forgetting that they are asking others to put their incomes on the line. They are absolutely certain their interest in something will naturally indicate the interests of the rest of the world! Instead of realising the publishers and authors have the actual figures and KNOW whether there is interest or not and are making the necessary financial decisions required.

A famous jazz musician I knew once told me that he would get audience members coming to him and begging him to play this, that or the other song. He'd say to them "Do you really want me to play that?" "Yes!" they'd say. "Do you really love that song?" "Yes!" they'd state. "Do you really think it needs to be played?" he'd ask. "Oh yes!" they'd claim. "Great!" he'd say. "Because I hate that song. If you want it played, you learn how to play and then you play it!"

If Janeway books were selling, they'd be getting written and being published. As they are not (sales and figures are what count here), they are not being created.

If people believe that market may change in the future then their best route is to start now and write for that time but you can't ask those who make their living out of writing to spend their time writing something that every indication says are not going to sell!

Every beginning writer has to start somewhere and the reality is that involves trying to work out where the market is going to lie at the time of them finishing their work. That's the only way you are going to convince an agent or publisher to take on your work.

Oh and BTW, you may have worked out by now that (among other things), I'm a published author of nine books.

And the only way authors get a start is to create something they believe there is a market for and then convince an agent and publisher they are right about that!

In other words, here is a possible market spot for somebody wanting to get their beginning. The publishers and working authors are not interested and are not going to put their time and resources into making it happen. Which creates a possible opportunity for somebody else.

Yes it's a risky venture! Writing and being an author is risky. You may put all that time and effort into something and not have it come off at all.

Welcome to our world!

And BTW, not all publishers are going through Agents these days. You need to check who wants submissions directly and in what form they are asking for them. A polite inquiry letter via their website will usually find out or sometimes their websites already have instructions from them.

Chuckling

Last edited by Chuckling; November 19 2011 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Clarification
Chuckling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2011, 05:07 AM   #156
Therin of Andor
Admiral

And BTW, not all publishers are going through Agents these days.
Fully aware of that, but you specifically asked about Pocket - and they insist on a recognized literary agent. No other publisher can consider a tie-in Star Trek novel because Pocket/Gallery holds an exclusive license.

You need to check who wants submissions directly and in what form they are asking for them. A polite inquiry letter via their website will usually find out or sometimes their websites already have instructions from them.
Or "Writers' Market", if it's still a hardcopy annual book.

And the only way authors get a start is to create something they believe there is a market for and then convince an agent and publisher they are right about that! In other words, here is a possible market spot for somebody wanting to get their beginning
But new authors don't pitch "Relaunch" type ST novels, as I explained earlier.

If Janeway books were selling, they'd be getting written and being published. As they are not (sales and figures are what count here), they are not being created.
No one ever said Janeway novels weren't selling. "Mosaic" and "Captain's Table: Fire Ship" are essentially solo novels about Janeway and they both sold well. But that means that Janeway's early career has been covered ("Mosaic"), and the period where she cut her hair short and lost the "bun of steel" ("Fire Ship"). But "Endgame" moved her character to the Alpha Quadrant and "Nemesis" promoted her to admiral, giving orders to Picard, so the Pocket editors mapped out what they thought was a juicy, ongoing controversy to ensure the new VOY series books got better acclaim than "Spirit Walk", the last Christie Golden duology of VOY's Relaunch. And, thus, "TNG: Before Dishonor" and "VOY: Full Circle" did something fresh and interesting. And controversy gets free publicity. Janeway was just one of numerous main characters in VOY and, as an admiral, she wasn't necessarily an essential ingredient for a return to a shipbound book series.

BTW, Janeway is back in the Michael Martin novel based on the "ST Online" game, in a storyline that takes a different tangent that the regular novels.

Last edited by Therin of Andor; November 19 2011 at 05:37 AM. Reason: more
Old November 19 2011, 06:11 AM   #157
Chuckling
Lieutenant Commander

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
And BTW, not all publishers are going through Agents these days.
Fully aware of that, but you specifically asked about Pocket - and they insist on a recognized literary agent. No other publisher can consider a tie-in Star Trek novel because Pocket/Gallery holds an exclusive license.

You need to check who wants submissions directly and in what form they are asking for them. A polite inquiry letter via their website will usually find out or sometimes their websites already have instructions from them.
Or "Writers' Market", if it's still a hardcopy annual book.

And the only way authors get a start is to create something they believe there is a market for and then convince an agent and publisher they are right about that! In other words, here is a possible market spot for somebody wanting to get their beginning
But new authors don't pitch "Relaunch" type ST novels, as I explained earlier.

No one ever said Janeway novels weren't selling. "Mosaic" and "Captain's Table: Fire Ship" are essentially solo novels about Janeway and they both sold well. But that means that Janeway's early career has been covered ("Mosaic"), and the period where she cut her hair short and lost the "bun of steel" ("Fire Ship"). But "Endgame" moved her character to the Alpha Quadrant and "Nemesis" promoted her to admiral, giving orders to Picard, so the Pocket editors mapped out what they thought was a juicy, ongoing controversy to ensure the new VOY series books got better acclaim than "Spirit Walk", the last Christie Golden duology of VOY's Relaunch. And, thus, "TNG: Before Dishonor" and "VOY: Full Circle" did something fresh and interesting. And controversy gets free publicity. Janeway was just one of numerous main characters in VOY and, as an admiral, she wasn't necessarily an essential ingredient for a return to a shipbound book series.

BTW, Janeway is back in the Michael Martin novel based on the "ST Online" game, in a storyline that takes a different tangent that the regular novels.

Great! Go with that then! Enjoy what's there.

Chuckling
Old December 2 2011, 10:56 PM   #158
Lynx
Rear Admiral

Maybe I buy that Michael Martin novel.

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at:http://www.lynx677.tk/
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2012, 06:17 PM   #159
NeilDouglas
Cadet

Dear Ms. Beyer.

I just want to pass along my thanks for writing such wonderful Voyager novels! They are just fantastic! I love them, hands down Full Circle is the best Star Trek novel I've ever read and I've read a lot. The characters leap off the page, so real, so faithful to them at their best.

I've spent the last hour reading over the comments in this forum and like most others here I want Kathryn Janeway back some day please (and you to write her return!) because she is fantastic, a great character, I love Kate Mulgrew and I love how you write her in Full Circle.

But I agree with you, it was not a mistake to kill her in Before Dishonor because it was gave the characters real meat to chew on, real consequences, real life. Plus it made the Borg such a good threat again, finally. Ever since Before Dishonor came out I've had few words for Peter David, something like 'You suck for killing my favourite character' I'm currently re-reading the post Nemesis novels and you know what- they are fantastic. Peter David I'm sorry to you, you made Janeway the Borg Queen! such terror! such horror! such suspense! such a great story, well written and the consequences provide such rich material I've loved reading each night.

The Voyager fleet was genius. Voyager has a purpose. Must say I didn't care for the first 4 post series Voyager novels all that much. Didn't think Janeway as an admiral in Nemesis was great either-that should have been Admiral Alynna Nechayev. But I love your books.

I've got my brother hooked on Full Circle, he was not a reader at all, but loved Star Trek. Now he's onto Unworthy.

Your books are like a continuation of Star Trek Voyager the series at it's finest. It's new Star Trek! This is all to convey to you Ms. Beyer how much I love your work and thank you for your work. Please keep writing Voyager and I hope Pocket Books realise how good you are and keep you around. Do please bring back Kathryn Janeway and put her where she belongs- on the bridge of her ship.

Off home and soon to enjoy heading to bed because-it's book time!
NeilDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2012, 08:35 AM   #160
Kirsten Beyer
Writer

Dear Neil,

You are most welcome and thanks so much for your kind words. Sorry it has taken me so long to respond but I've been absurdly busy of late.

Best,
Kirsten Beyer
Kirsten Beyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2012, 03:28 AM   #161
Therin of Andor
Admiral

Kirsten Beyer wrote: View Post
You are most welcome and thanks so much for your kind words. Sorry it has taken me so long to respond but I've been absurdly busy of late.
Been busy raising the dead.
Old April 6 2012, 05:33 AM   #162
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

OH I FERVENTLY HOPE SO!!!

:: washes Kirsten's shovel ::

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2012, 10:43 AM   #163
NeilDouglas
Cadet

Just saw the cover for 'The Eternal Tide' CAN. NOT. WAIT!
That's going to be a great birthday present.

From Neil
Dublin, Ireland
NeilDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2012, 11:03 AM   #164
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

INDEED! Gov Kodos just posted this

Photo of Fabulousness

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2012, 08:29 PM   #165
Violet.Phoenix
Commander

teacake wrote: View Post