RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,744
Posts: 5,215,819
Members: 24,215
Currently online: 834
Newest member: rpoe0728

TrekToday headlines

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 16 2011, 10:40 PM   #1
Bixby
Lieutenant Commander
 
Bixby's Avatar
 
The Cage\Menagerie oddities

1) the 1960's european beachwear outfits on a male and a female as Captain Pike walks along a corridor at the beginning...

2) John Hoyt's completely tragic comb-over

3) Majel Barret's lack of screen credit at the end of Menagerie, part 2
Bixby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2011, 10:52 PM   #2
mb22
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: The Cage\Menagerie oddities

A female extra is wearing the same outfit in the opening recroom scene in "Where No Man Has Gone Before".
mb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2011, 11:11 PM   #3
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer
 
GSchnitzer's Avatar
 
Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA, Terra
Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer
Re: The Cage\Menagerie oddities

Bixby wrote: View Post
1) the 1960's european beachwear outfits on a male and a female as Captain Pike walks along a corridor at the beginning...

2) John Hoyt's completely tragic comb-over

3) Majel Barret's lack of screen credit at the end of Menagerie, part 2
Majel Barret (a.k.a "M. Leigh Hudec") is indeed credited at the end of both "The Menagerie" Parts 1 *and* 2. She's credited using her actual name--M. (for "Majel") Leigh Hudec--instead of her stage name of Majel Barrett.

In the credits for the original pilot of "The Cage," she's listed as "Majel Barrett."
__________________
Greg Schnitzer
Co-Executive Producer
Star Trek Phase II
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2011, 11:37 PM   #4
scotpens
Vice Admiral
 
scotpens's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: The Cage\Menagerie oddities

^^ Didn't Majel Barrett also use the name Lincoln at some point? I believe that's why Gene Roddenberry's fledgling Star Trek merchandising operation was first called Lincoln Enterprises (later changed to Star Trek Enterprises).
__________________
“All the universe or nothingness. Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?”
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2011, 11:40 PM   #5
Bixby
Lieutenant Commander
 
Bixby's Avatar
 
Re: The Cage\Menagerie oddities

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
Majel Barret (a.k.a "M. Leigh Hudec") is indeed credited at the end of both "The Menagerie" Parts 1 *and* 2. She's credited using her actual name--M. (for "Majel") Leigh Hudec--instead of her stage name of Majel Barrett.
Really? well, whaddaya know...thanks, G...
Bixby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2011, 11:57 PM   #6
foxhot
Fleet Captain
 
foxhot's Avatar
 
Re: The Cage\Menagerie oddities

Another oddity......the presence of a future PLAYGIRL centerfold (John Hoyt, 1983) in the cast. It seems bizarre to me, too, but TV GUIDE said it was true.
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2011, 12:18 AM   #7
BillJ
Admiral
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: The Cage\Menagerie oddities

foxhot wrote: View Post
Another oddity......the presence of a future PLAYGIRL centerfold (John Hoyt, 1983) in the cast. It seems bizarre to me, too, but TV GUIDE said it was true.
Eww... He had to have been at least sixty at that point.
__________________
I'm not popular enough to be different! - Homer Simpson
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2011, 12:32 AM   #8
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Lost in Moria (Arlington, WA, USA)
Re: The Cage\Menagerie oddities

Another oddity: Spock shouting. Not because it's Spock, but because my reaction is, "All right already, I'm checking the circuit! And dude, I'm like RIGHT HERE NEXT TO YOU."
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2011, 01:33 AM   #9
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: The Cage\Menagerie oddities

scotpens wrote: View Post
^^ Didn't Majel Barrett also use the name Lincoln at some point? I believe that's why Gene Roddenberry's fledgling Star Trek merchandising operation was first called Lincoln Enterprises (later changed to Star Trek Enterprises).
Neither IMDb nor Memory Alpha indicates that she ever went by that name. I assume Roddenberry called his company Lincoln Enterprises because Abraham Lincoln was his hero (he wrote "The Savage Curtain," remember).
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2011, 01:43 AM   #10
Kamdan
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: The Cage\Menagerie oddities

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
Another oddity: Spock shouting. Not because it's Spock, but because my reaction is, "All right already, I'm checking the circuit! And dude, I'm like RIGHT HERE NEXT TO YOU."
I guess that was Nimoy's acting style until they told him to tone it down. I remember Shatner once saying that Nimoy "took it upon himself to smile a lot" in the hopes that he would come across as charming. I guess at first he thought that was the best way to carry himself as an actor too.
Kamdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2011, 01:50 AM   #11
Redfern
Commodore
 
Redfern's Avatar
 
Location: Georgia, USA
Re: The Cage\Menagerie oddities

I reasoned the "shouting" was meant to suggest an "old school" navy atmosphere. Since the "Hornblower"comparison is often mentioned, maybe Nimoy was going the "first mate" schtick, you know, "Hoist the main sail, Mr. Christian!" (Yes, I know that's "Mutiny on the Bounty", but I think it gets the point across.)

Sincerely,

Bill
__________________
Tempt the Hand of Fate and it'll give you the "finger"!

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2011, 02:34 AM   #12
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer
 
GSchnitzer's Avatar
 
Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA, Terra
Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer
Re: The Cage\Menagerie oddities

foxhot wrote: View Post
Another oddity......the presence of a future PLAYGIRL centerfold (John Hoyt, 1983) in the cast. It seems bizarre to me, too, but TV GUIDE said it was true.
List of all the Playgirl centerfolds is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playgir...8centerfold.29

(John Hoyt is not among them.) Born in 1905, in 1983, Hoyt would have been 77 or 78 years old.
__________________
Greg Schnitzer
Co-Executive Producer
Star Trek Phase II
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2011, 05:25 AM   #13
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Lost in Moria (Arlington, WA, USA)
Re: The Cage\Menagerie oddities

Kamdan wrote: View Post
Silvercrest wrote: View Post
Another oddity: Spock shouting. Not because it's Spock, but because my reaction is, "All right already, I'm checking the circuit! And dude, I'm like RIGHT HERE NEXT TO YOU."
I guess that was Nimoy's acting style until they told him to tone it down.
Never heard that one before.

Redfern wrote: View Post
I reasoned the "shouting" was meant to suggest an "old school" navy atmosphere. Since the "Hornblower"comparison is often mentioned, maybe Nimoy was going the "first mate" schtick, you know, "Hoist the main sail, Mr. Christian!"
Actually that was my assumption too. I was just exaggerating the point a little.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2011, 07:49 AM   #14
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral
 
Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...
Re: The Cage\Menagerie oddities

Christopher wrote: View Post
scotpens wrote: View Post
^^ Didn't Majel Barrett also use the name Lincoln at some point? I believe that's why Gene Roddenberry's fledgling Star Trek merchandising operation was first called Lincoln Enterprises (later changed to Star Trek Enterprises).
Neither IMDb nor Memory Alpha indicates that she ever went by that name. I assume Roddenberry called his company Lincoln Enterprises because Abraham Lincoln was his hero (he wrote "The Savage Curtain," remember).
Actually, the company was already named that when he bought it (presumably for the mail order operation, making it easier to sell his Star Trek goodies).
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2011, 12:58 PM   #15
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Re: The Cage\Menagerie oddities

foxhot wrote: View Post
Another oddity......the presence of a future PLAYGIRL centerfold (John Hoyt, 1983) in the cast.
Hoyt didn't appear in Playgirl, but someone else did.



T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.