Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 16 2011, 10:20 PM   #1
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

full-length trailer debut: BRAVE (Pixar)

here we go...

Anyway, for a studio with a near perfect record, this one seems a matter of taste. I like the idea of a female heroine in a story like this, but some of the comic beats are a bit to obvious, and it seems that Pixar still has problems doing real people. they are exaggerated caricatures, not characters, at least to me. Alas, the main character seems the most interesting out of all of them.
Old November 16 2011, 10:52 PM   #2
Seven of Five
Commodore

Re: full-length trailer debut: BRAVE (Pixar)

It's weird. I just started watching Game of Thrones, which has a young female character in it that is going against the female sterotype of the era by wanting to fight. I really enjoy her spunky character!

And then I saw this trailer today, which made me think of it all again. Yeah, I know. Young girl wanting a different life to the one that is expected of her is in no way original, but I like that it will be Pixar's take in this new film. And I agree that this girl's character seems to be the most interesting.

I think that the rest of the trailer seems a bit flat though. The Cars films have been the only disappointments that Pixar have made thus far. (Well, for me anyway!) So, with this track record, I have faith that this could turn out alright in the end. Perhaps the Brave world is a more fantastical world than anything else Pixar have done, and the film will build itself as such?
Old November 16 2011, 11:07 PM   #3
Christopher
Writer

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
...and it seems that Pixar still has problems doing real people. they are exaggerated caricatures, not characters, at least to me.
Do you mean visually or in personality? If it's the former, I can't buy that. Saying they have "problems" implies that they're trying to do realistic human characters but somehow lack the skill to succeed. And that just doesn't make sense. These are brilliant artists with an extraordinary eye for design and detail. But they're not interested in photorealism. They choose to embrace caricature as an art form, just as many great cartoonists before them have done.

And I can't believe you could possibly mean the latter, since the personalities of Pixar's characters are routinely more believable and nuanced than those of most live-action film characters.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2011, 11:14 PM   #4
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

is it wrong of me to not care such visually exaggerated people? It has always been hard for me to get involved with animated characters with exaggerated features.
Old November 17 2011, 01:12 AM   #5
davejames
Vice Admiral

Hmm. I really loved the teaser trailer, but this is looking more like just another one of those slapsticky Dreamworks cartoons.

In fact the wacky characters feel like they were ripped straight out of How to Train Your Dragon.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2011, 01:15 AM   #6
Christopher
Writer

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
is it wrong of me to not care such visually exaggerated people? It has always been hard for me to get involved with animated characters with exaggerated features.
Well, you're entitled to your own tastes, of course. I'm just saying that it's bizarre to put it in terms of "having problems," as if they were trying to be realistic but somehow accidentally ending up with caricatures. They're not having any problems doing what they want to do. If you don't like it, you're entitled to that preference, but they're achieving exactly what they're aiming for.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2011, 01:24 AM   #7
Jetfire

As I said in the thread for BRAVE in the TV/Media forum...

Jetfire wrote: View Post
That movie looks really good...I am looking forward to it as well.
I think the character models are fine.
Old November 17 2011, 01:36 AM   #8
Manticore
Rear Admiral

I, for one, cannot wait.
Old November 17 2011, 02:28 AM   #9
RoJoHen
Awesome

Meh. I've been the poster for this at the theater for months and months now, and I've been really intrigued by it. But now that I'm seeing the trailer, I'm a lot less excited. It doesn't look bad. I just doesn't look like anything special.