TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old November 16 2011, 10:40 PM   #1
Bixby
Commander

The Cage\Menagerie oddities

1) the 1960's european beachwear outfits on a male and a female as Captain Pike walks along a corridor at the beginning...

2) John Hoyt's completely tragic comb-over

3) Majel Barret's lack of screen credit at the end of Menagerie, part 2
Bixby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2011, 10:52 PM   #2
mb22
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The Cage\Menagerie oddities

A female extra is wearing the same outfit in the opening recroom scene in "Where No Man Has Gone Before".
mb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2011, 11:11 PM   #3
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

Bixby wrote: View Post
1) the 1960's european beachwear outfits on a male and a female as Captain Pike walks along a corridor at the beginning...

2) John Hoyt's completely tragic comb-over

3) Majel Barret's lack of screen credit at the end of Menagerie, part 2
Majel Barret (a.k.a "M. Leigh Hudec") is indeed credited at the end of both "The Menagerie" Parts 1 *and* 2. She's credited using her actual name--M. (for "Majel") Leigh Hudec--instead of her stage name of Majel Barrett.

In the credits for the original pilot of "The Cage," she's listed as "Majel Barrett."
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2011, 11:37 PM   #4
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral

^^ Didn't Majel Barrett also use the name Lincoln at some point? I believe that's why Gene Roddenberry's fledgling Star Trek merchandising operation was first called Lincoln Enterprises (later changed to Star Trek Enterprises).
Old November 16 2011, 11:40 PM   #5
Bixby
Commander

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
Majel Barret (a.k.a "M. Leigh Hudec") is indeed credited at the end of both "The Menagerie" Parts 1 *and* 2. She's credited using her actual name--M. (for "Majel") Leigh Hudec--instead of her stage name of Majel Barrett.
Really? well, whaddaya know...thanks, G...
Bixby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2011, 11:57 PM   #6
The Cubed Ho
Fleet Captain

Another oddity......the presence of a future PLAYGIRL centerfold (John Hoyt, 1983) in the cast. It seems bizarre to me, too, but TV GUIDE said it was true.
The Cubed Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2011, 12:18 AM   #7
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

foxhot wrote: View Post
Another oddity......the presence of a future PLAYGIRL centerfold (John Hoyt, 1983) in the cast. It seems bizarre to me, too, but TV GUIDE said it was true.
Eww... He had to have been at least sixty at that point.
Old November 17 2011, 12:32 AM   #8
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Another oddity: Spock shouting. Not because it's Spock, but because my reaction is, "All right already, I'm checking the circuit! And dude, I'm like RIGHT HERE NEXT TO YOU."
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2011, 01:33 AM   #9
Christopher
Writer

scotpens wrote: View Post
^^ Didn't Majel Barrett also use the name Lincoln at some point? I believe that's why Gene Roddenberry's fledgling Star Trek merchandising operation was first called Lincoln Enterprises (later changed to Star Trek Enterprises).
Neither IMDb nor Memory Alpha indicates that she ever went by that name. I assume Roddenberry called his company Lincoln Enterprises because Abraham Lincoln was his hero (he wrote "The Savage Curtain," remember).

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2011, 01:43 AM   #10
Kamdan
Lieutenant Commander

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
Another oddity: Spock shouting. Not because it's Spock, but because my reaction is, "All right already, I'm checking the circuit! And dude, I'm like RIGHT HERE NEXT TO YOU."
I guess that was Nimoy's acting style until they told him to tone it down. I remember Shatner once saying that Nimoy "took it upon himself to smile a lot" in the hopes that he would come across as charming. I guess at first he thought that was the best way to carry himself as an actor too.
Kamdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2011, 01:50 AM   #11
Redfern
Commodore

I reasoned the "shouting" was meant to suggest an "old school" navy atmosphere. Since the "Hornblower"comparison is often mentioned, maybe Nimoy was going the "first mate" schtick, you know, "Hoist the main sail, Mr. Christian!" (Yes, I know that's "Mutiny on the Bounty", but I think it gets the point across.)

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2011, 02:34 AM   #12
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

List of all the Playgirl centerfolds is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playgir...8centerfold.29

(John Hoyt is not among them.) Born in 1905, in 1983, Hoyt would have been 77 or 78 years old.
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2011, 05:25 AM   #13
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Kamdan wrote: View Post
Silvercrest wrote: View Post
I guess that was Nimoy's acting style until they told him to tone it down.
Never heard that one before.

Redfern wrote: View Post
I reasoned the "shouting" was meant to suggest an "old school" navy atmosphere. Since the "Hornblower"comparison is often mentioned, maybe Nimoy was going the "first mate" schtick, you know, "Hoist the main sail, Mr. Christian!"
Actually that was my assumption too. I was just exaggerating the point a little.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2011, 07:49 AM   #14
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Christopher wrote: View Post
scotpens wrote: View Post
Neither IMDb nor Memory Alpha indicates that she ever went by that name. I assume Roddenberry called his company Lincoln Enterprises because Abraham Lincoln was his hero (he wrote "The Savage Curtain," remember).
Actually, the company was already named that when he bought it (presumably for the mail order operation, making it easier to sell his Star Trek goodies).
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2011, 12:58 PM   #15
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

Another oddity......the presence of a future PLAYGIRL centerfold (John Hoyt, 1983) in the cast.
Hoyt didn't appear in Playgirl, but someone else did.

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote