Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 6 2011, 02:24 PM   #31
Servo
Rear Admiral

Re: Red Dwarf series 9 (or is it 10?) in 2012 confirmed by Craig Charl

Pingfah wrote: View Post
Servo wrote: View Post

Although that bit about series X being technically correct (since BTE was series 9) is wrong, since in BTE they mentioned that series 9 had already aired, making BTE series 10 and this series 11
But wasn't the statement that series 9 had already aired made as part of the joy squid's hallucination anyway, so can't really be considered to be true?
Oh, yeah that is a good point. I'd actually forgotten it was all a hallucination, probably because they already did that idea 20 years ago

On the plus side though, at least it airs before the end of the world.
Sweet. I get to see Batman, The Avengers, and new Red Dwarf. I'll be able to die happy

I am interested to see what they do about Holly, though. Judging by his statements at the time Back to Earth aired, it's doubtful Lovett will sign on, so unless they can get Hattie Hayridge back, they're in a bit of a pickle. Unless they're just going to say the Skutters still haven't dried him out.
Old May 6 2011, 02:25 PM   #32
Pingfah
Admiral

^ I could not work out if he was joking or not, it seemed very bitter.

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
They should do a Roseanne thing with Claire and Chloe in the same episode. Actually, I quite like Chole's Kochanski. I think she gets a bit of stick because the show became a bit less anarchic and a bit more mainstream when she came on board but it was still hugely enjoyable.
Grogan had more of a minx thing going on, I found Annett's Kochanski to be too serious.

- Richard "Richie" Richard
Pingfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2011, 04:22 PM   #33
Pauln6
Commodore

In fairness, Chloe is from an alternate universe. It might be fun for 'our' universe's Kochanski to make an appearance and for Lister to pipe up that he hadn't realised before how little alike they look.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2011, 04:36 PM   #34
Servo
Rear Admiral

^ I could not work out if he was joking or not, it seemed very bitter.
Yeah, I got the impression that he was genuinely annoyed about how the situation had been handled. Seems like it may have been a case of six of one, half a dozen of the other though. Naylor probably should have been more forthcoming about whether Lovett would get a part, and Lovett probably should have been a bit more patient and less demanding when asking. Either way, unless something has changed over the last 18 months, I can't see him appearing in the new series.
Old May 7 2011, 01:07 AM   #35
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
In fairness, Chloe is from an alternate universe. It might be fun for 'our' universe's Kochanski to make an appearance and for Lister to pipe up that he hadn't realised before how little alike they look.
I had wondered somewhere (this thread or another) if the nanobots had reincarnated the "pile of albino mouse droppings" that was the original Kochanski.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2011, 02:41 PM   #36
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Red Dwarf lost its mojo when Rob Grant left and never recovered, despite a brief flicker of life in a few scenes of Series VIII. I couldn't bear the underlying concept of Back to Earth, so have still only seen partial scenes of it. Can't say I feel I've missed anything interesting.

I'll probably tune in to a new proper series though. Provided it's set in deep space on the mining ship Red Dwarf, empty apart from the old core cast playing Lister, Rimmer, Kryten and Cat. I don't mind if Kochanski is there or not, though. Her inclusion would be OK. Holly can be played by either Lovett or Hayridge, I don't care.

Most importantly, Doug Naylor just cannot write Red Dwarf on his own, or in a large majority role. That's probably my biggest reservation about the new series. He just lacks the more acerbic bite of Rob Grant's sharper sense of humour. Naylor seems good with concepts and his humour comes across as different/softer which is fine some of the time but Dwarf also needs edge.

PS. Pingfah: Claire Grogan's understandably lost that youthful minxyness these days. More naughty suburban mum. Still wouldn't complain, though, she still looks pretty great...
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2011, 02:05 PM   #37
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Here are the filming dates for series X. They're recruiting members for a live audience.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/11/...udio-audience/

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2011, 02:53 PM   #38
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

And another article that covers pretty much the same thing.

http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/2011/...r-red-dwarf-x/
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2011, 04:06 PM   #39
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Here are the filming dates for series X. They're recruiting members for a live audience.
I'm glad they're going to have an audience; the laughter really does add something to the seasons they used one in. I know it's not a particularly popular opinion to like a laugh track, but a good one makes the world of positive difference to how a show comes across.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2011, 09:32 PM   #40
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Yeah, BtE and the parts of S8 without any laugh track or audience seemed really forced of the parts of the actors.

Added to the fact those eras of the show weren't as good as the earlier ones, I prefer the laughter of a live audience. Now we hope it's funny enough to make the people laugh.
Old December 19 2011, 03:34 AM   #41
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

A (very) short clip posted of the Cat & Kryten in makeup-
Old December 19 2011, 06:32 AM   #42
23skidoo
Admiral

Holdfast wrote: View Post
I'm glad they're going to have an audience; the laughter really does add something to the seasons they used one in. I know it's not a particularly popular opinion to like a laugh track, but a good one makes the world of positive difference to how a show comes across.
People only object to a laugh track if there was never an audience there to begin with. "Laugh tracks" that are actual live recordings of an audience viewing the performance are fine, although as the DVD commentary on RD Series 7 mentions, the cast didn't care for the fact the SFX-heavy season was filmed with no audience and later shown to an audience whose laughter was recorded. I think Craig Charles mentions that without an audience it was hard to get joke timing right.

But with an actual filmed-in-front-of-an-audience scenario, even though there's a trade-off with reduced ability to do SFX or really extravagant stories (though I thought RD did quite well regardless), there's still an obvious relationship developed between the actors and the audience. Watch, for example, the smeg ups where we see the cast joking with the audience, playing off them. You don't get the same atmosphere when it's just a camera crew present.

I don't know the background of how Season 9/10 came to be commissioned, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the actors made "live audience" a condition of their involvement.

Alex
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2011, 08:32 AM   #43
Bob The Skutter
Admiral

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

^Actually Doug Naylor said he wanted the audience, but what he was unsure about is this day and age all the spoilers and pics that would leak on to the internet. In the end they decided it was worth it.
Old December 19 2011, 08:39 AM   #44
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

And the audience has to decide if the strip search and full body cavity excavation is worth it.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2011, 09:39 AM   #45
Bob The Skutter
Admiral

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

^Yep, that's the one. But it's Red Dwarf, I'm sure people will consider it to be worth it.