Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How Would You Grade The Episode?
Awesome 6 25.00%
Above Average 13 54.17%
Average 1 4.17%
Below Average 2 8.33%
Horrible 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 11 2011, 12:09 AM   #91
Let the Good Times Roll!!

Re: American Horror Story (FX) 1x01 Pilot (Grading/Discussion)

I'm glad they explained why tate doesn't know he's dead.

Good old mom...eating brains and stuff.

So is the security guy (the guy from V) dead too?
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2011, 01:00 AM   #92
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

1001001 wrote: View Post
I

I don't think so. He seemed pretty startled when Haydn disappeared from his vehicle last week.

I think he's just who he appears to be: a friendly security guy who is probably looking pretty good to Vivian right now.
Old November 11 2011, 02:33 AM   #93

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I

I don't think so. He seemed pretty startled when Haydn disappeared from his vehicle last week.

I think he's just who he appears to be: a friendly security guy who is probably looking pretty good to Vivian right now.
You're probably right. besides, do ghosts have cars?

I was starting to think that everyone in this damn thing is dead.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old November 11 2011, 10:00 PM   #94
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Just as long as it all doesn't turn out to be a hallucination of Addy's in the end. Speaking of Addy, I hope she's not gone for good. She really adds something to this show with her spunky, buttinsky presence.

Piggy Man was genuinely freaky, even if the ending was rather stupid. I'm disappointed that Tate is "just" a ghost, I was rooting for Frankenbaby. The love story of Tate and Violet is very compelling because the actors sell it. CW should take a look at this show to see how to do angsty teenage romance that doesn't come off as annoying.

Random thought about Tate: is it possible, timeline-wise, for him to be Addy's father? Sure, there's the photo with him and Addy, not looking too far apart in age, but maybe ghosts can have their photos taken. Probably not possible but that plot twist would be so very characteristic of this show's approach to things that I couldn't help wonder...
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2011, 02:23 AM   #95
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Preview of this week's episode. Looks like a good one.
Old November 15 2011, 03:50 AM   #96
God Magnus
Commodore

View God Magnus's Twitter Profile

OsmiumJohnnycake wrote: View Post
The editing is less insane after the first episode but I think part of the show's charm is the ridiculousness of it all. I seriously doubt most people watching are finding it scary or shocking or any of that. At least I'm not. But it's a fun and weird and funny ride.
I just plowed through the first five eps today online (thank you FX for having them online). I don't find the show particularly scary, but some of the subject matter was disturbing in an over-the-top way, which is what I think they're going for. I'm interested in seeing how the backgrounds of the ghosts get fleshed out over time. Witnessing the family's disintegration is kind of like watching a train wreck - in slow motion.
Old November 15 2011, 09:31 PM   #97
Tom
Rear Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Random thought about Tate: is it possible, timeline-wise, for him to be Addy's father? Sure, there's the photo with him and Addy, not looking too far apart in age, but maybe ghosts can have their photos taken. Probably not possible but that plot twist would be so very characteristic of this show's approach to things that I couldn't help wonder...
In the second episode they showed Addy as a liitle girl in 1978 (maybe 6 or so) when the twin boys went in the house and died. So Addy was in her upper 30's when she died in 2011. Tate died in 1994 and he was about 17 or so, making him born in about 1977, that would make Addy older than him by 3 or 4 years.

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2011, 05:45 AM   #98
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

I liked this new episode a lot.

It also revealed a lot, or at least made clear some of the things that I and I'm sure others have been speculating since the beginning of the series. Constance and Moira's relationship, for one, is providing to be a constant joy and I really liked how that dynamic "evolved" in this particular episode. Jessica Lange and her performance is quickly becoming one of my favorite aspects of this show.

I also like the direction of the Tate/Violet storyline. As Temis said, this is how you do teen angst. I think it's fascinating because it's not your typical teenage romance (especially since Violet is essentially dating and as evident in this episode apparently falling in love with a dead guy!). On top of that, I really like the direction of the Violet character, and I'm very curious to see where she is headed. It appears she's becoming or going to become "in tune" with the house and the ghosts that populate it. It's almost like she's becoming attached to the house, mostly because of Tate, because she's sinking deeper and deeper into the whole abyss of the house. It's actually a little scary when you think about it. Violet may become so attached that she doesn't want to leave, and if/when that does happen, the psychological ramifications will be considerable. She might have to have some weekly sessions with her father to cope.

Speaking of Ben and Vivian, I'm not really enjoying what's evolving of their relationship dynamic. It's definitely progressing, but I'm not entirely enthralled or engaged by their incessant relationship problems (even though the sequence in which Vivian was trying to find some "alone time" was effectively unsettling). I like where they are going separately as characters (it appears Ben is becoming a slightly darker character because of the house and Vivian is becoming stronger, but I have a feeling that's going to change after witnessing the preview for next week's episode) but I'm just not a fan of their characters when they are together, if that makes sense.

Anyway, next week's episode looks certifiably intense, and I can't wait. Besides The Walking Dead and Boss, American Horror Story has become one of my favorite shows currently on television.
Old November 17 2011, 10:19 PM   #99
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Another fun ep. The Frankenbaby flashback was mega-creepy!

Did the preview for next week actually show Zach Quinto in the rubber suit? Woo-hoo, Christmas is coming early this year!

Also looks like we'll get to see who's in the suit next week. If/when they unmask the guy, it's gotta be some immediately shocking thing, which means it's one of the actors already on the show (because a new actor would be meaningless).

My money is on Tate, or more precisely, Tate's twin brother. There's still one child of Constance's that we haven't yet been introduced to, right? I think Tate had a frakked-up twin who now is in his mid-30s. (He's not a ghost; he's simply been hiding and living in the house all this time.) Evan Peters could easily play a guy of that age, maybe scarred or deformed or whatever. He wears the gimp suit because he's insane and to cover his deformities. Tate never knew his twin brother existed, but now his brother is fathering his girlfriend's half-siblings! Hilarious sick fun!

Furthermore, I believe that Frankenbaby survived in the house by himself and grew up, and that he (probably the original gimp-suit wearer to cover up the suture marks) fathered all four of Constance's children, which is why they all turned out "wrong."

When Constance was talking about her family being in the house, I think she means three of her children, two ghosts and one living (Addy has apparently escaped to a heavenly afterlife), and their daddy.
Old November 18 2011, 12:17 AM   #100

I just cannot believe how messed up this show is.

They moved the narrative along quite nicely. I like the twist with burn-faced guy.

And that poor Persian dude...all he wanted was a little land to develop, a blowjob, and a sandwich. Was that too much to ask?

Old November 18 2011, 01:49 AM   #101
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

He was Armenian! Which I guess didn't help him in the end.

Anyway, when are the cops going to get suspicious? That's two people who've visited the house and disappeared lately. I guess the neighbors aren't very curious, but sooner or later, someone is going to see something.
Old November 18 2011, 04:10 AM   #102
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Anyway, when are the cops going to get suspicious?
Never. The woman vanished in the cop car two weeks ago and the security guy was just like, "Eh, oh, well."
Old November 18 2011, 07:01 PM   #103
Tom
Rear Admiral

So if you die in the house you get your spirit gets trapped in the house, Contance wanting Larry to finish killing the Armenian guy elsewhere so he would be another spirit in the house. I guess on Halloween your spirit can leave the house, Tate going on a date with Violet for instance and Moira going to see her mother.

I wonder though if your remains have to be on the property to be attached to the house? It seems that is Moira case with her bones buried in the back yard. I can't imagine all the other ghosts we have seen are buried there beyond Moira, Hayden and the burgurlar trio.

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2011, 07:46 PM   #104
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

My guess is "Rubber Man" is the son of the original owners Dr. Charles and Nora Montgomery. When Charles resurrected the child a la Frankenstein, Nora said the baby wasn't human anymore. What if he survived all these decades and was the one who murdered the gay couple?
Old November 18 2011, 07:59 PM   #105
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

And that poor Persian dude...all he wanted was a little land to develop, a blowjob, and a sandwich. Was that too much to ask?

Could have been worse. At least he didn't die on the premises.

Who wants to spend eternity as a castrated ghost?