RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,187
Posts: 5,345,277
Members: 24,603
Currently online: 629
Newest member: localyokel

TrekToday headlines

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 10 2011, 05:12 AM   #61
Broccoli
Vice Admiral
 
Broccoli's Avatar
 
Location: Broccoli
Re: Did Supergirl get punched out of her skin?

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I absolutely hated Jon Bogdonove's art...and still do.
__________________
"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2011, 05:15 AM   #62
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Did Supergirl get punched out of her skin?

^ That's kind of awesome though
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2011, 05:48 AM   #63
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Did Supergirl get punched out of her skin?

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
Broccoli wrote: View Post
Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
Supergirl has nice granny panties, I guess. And is that Louis Lane next to her?
Supergirl is wearing a skirt that comes down in a point in the center. Lois wearing a tie, well, in the early '90s, there was a brief period where that was fashionable for women. It didn't really last long.
Well, there's what the skirt is supposed to be, and then there's what it looks like. And the tie is the least bad part of Lois's depiction there.

Also I think this woman has a spinal injury:
Yikes! She has Liefeliosis!
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2011, 05:52 AM   #64
Broccoli
Vice Admiral
 
Broccoli's Avatar
 
Location: Broccoli
Re: Did Supergirl get punched out of her skin?

Jon Bogdonove is to Rob Liefeld as being pin pricked is to being drawn and quartered.
__________________
"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2011, 05:56 AM   #65
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Did Supergirl get punched out of her skin?

I can see that, the woman in that cap above looks like she has elephantiasis of the face.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2011, 05:59 AM   #66
Broccoli
Vice Admiral
 
Broccoli's Avatar
 
Location: Broccoli
Re: Did Supergirl get punched out of her skin?

?
__________________
"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2011, 06:17 AM   #67
sojourner
Vice Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: Did Supergirl get punched out of her skin?

Whofan wrote: View Post
I think it was the Superman animated series (and later JLA) which sort of mixed the original concept with the look of the Linda Danvers version. They of course eventually brought back a post-crisis version of the original Kara (In Batman/Superman) who has become a staple of the post-crisis Superman mythos since, although with the relaunch I think her origin has been altered (Along with Supes himself). I think in Justice League Unlimited, the DCAU version of Kara also started wearing an outfit similar to her comics counterpart.
You've actually got that backwards. The white belly shirt version of the costume originated with the JLU cartoon and was introduced to the comic later on.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2011, 08:27 AM   #68
MLJames
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: Riverbank, CA
Re: Did Supergirl get punched out of her skin?

Yes, but when Supergirl started showing up as a League member in JLU, she wasn't wearing the red, white and blue costume she originally used on TAS. She wore something very close to the Matrix Supergirl's costume, and (if memory serves), they actually commented on the costume change in one of the episodes.
__________________
If a tree falls in the forest and it lands on a mime, does he make a sound?
MLJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2011, 09:09 AM   #69
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral
 
Myasishchev's Avatar
 
Location: America after the rain
Re: Did Supergirl get punched out of her skin?

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
For a story that has mass appeal, The Death of Superman has tons of goofy, unexplained things from the 1990s continuity: Matrix Supergirl, the War Worlders, Jimmy Olsen dressed as a Turtle, Bloodwynd, Redhead Australian Luthor. I can't imagine what Theoretical Casual Buyer thought of it.
Broccoli wrote:
I was that buyer! The Death of Superman got me into comics in the first place when I was a kid. I had no idea what was going on, but I loved every minute of it. Of course, later on, I started to pick stuff up like why Lex Luther was generally liked by everybody and had red hair and a beard.
Hey, me too, sorta. The Death of Superman collection was--to the best of my memory--my first DC comic.

I liked it a lot.

They explain the Supergirl and Luthor things in the book, iirc (at the least, it was clear that Luthor was being viewed as Luthor's illegitimate son but legal heir). Bloodwynd was just kind of a weird mystery that had little impact (SPOILER: it's the Martian Manhunter.)

I think Doomsday's completely unexplained presence was what bothered me the most about it. They did eventually explain it, though, so be careful what you wish for, because that shit was ridiculous.

In any event, the big draw for Death of Superman was two titans punching each other till they both died. That wasn't too hard to get, and was very well-executed.

For what it's worth, I'll take the Matrix Supergirl over the Loeb/Turner/Benes/Churchill/Kelly abortion that came later. Kara Zor-El is a better concept, but I am convinced that is the worst run of comic books DC has ever published. I've never read Cry For Justice, Rise of Arsenal, or Countdown, but I honestly can't imagine them being more inept than the Batman/Superman arc and Supergirl Vol. 3. Heck, I might take the Matrix book over the current Supergirl series, but that jury's still out.

For fun, can anyone think of any comic book character more consistently given to utterly incompetent creatives than Kara Zor-El? Not even Cass Cain or X-family characters, I'd bet.

P.S.: This isn't directly related but Panic in the Sky: also fantastic. Best Brainiac story ever, with the worst rendition of Brainiac ever.
__________________


Last edited by Myasishchev; November 10 2011 at 09:29 AM.
Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2011, 03:15 PM   #70
Agent Richard07
Admiral
 
Re: Did Supergirl get punched out of her skin?

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post


Supergirl has nice granny panties, I guess. And is that Louis Lane next to her?
At first glance, I thought that was Lex II in drag.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2011, 03:26 PM   #71
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Did Supergirl get punched out of her skin?

I'm still fairly certain it is.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2011, 04:38 PM   #72
The Dominion
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Gamma Quadrant
Re: Did Supergirl get punched out of her skin?

Those are some broad shoulders on, uh, Louis.
__________________
A witty saying proves nothing. ~ Voltaire
The Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2011, 04:42 PM   #73
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral
 
Allyn Gibson's Avatar
 
Location: South Pennsyltucky
View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: Did Supergirl get punched out of her skin?

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Yeah, I liked Bogdanove's Superman, too. As you say it had some of Borings look and touch of the Shuster Studio. I beleive Boring was a member of that studio, so maybe thats the same thing.


Supergirl has nice granny panties, I guess. And is that Louis Lane next to her?
Steve, are you sure that a Bogdanove panel?

I mean, yes, Lois has Bogdanovesque hair, but that's a Jurgens face on Supergirl.
__________________
"When David Marcus cited the great thinkers of history -- "Newton, Einstein, Surak" -- Newt Gingrich did not make his list." -- 24 January 2012

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2011, 04:55 PM   #74
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Lost in Moria (Arlington, WA, USA)
Re: Did Supergirl get punched out of her skin?

Good, I wasn't the only one thinking that.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2011, 05:56 PM   #75
Broccoli
Vice Admiral
 
Broccoli's Avatar
 
Location: Broccoli
Re: Did Supergirl get punched out of her skin?

Now that you mention it, it is a Dan Jurgen's panel. It's from Superman #77. Jurgens did layouts and Brett Breeding did finishes.
__________________
"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
supergirl, superman

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.