Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate To Brave the Storm.
Outstanding 8 11.11%
Above Average 24 33.33%
Average 26 36.11%
Below Average 9 12.50%
Poor 5 6.94%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 7 2011, 01:24 AM   #91
Reanok
Commodore

Re: Enterprise: The Romulan War: To Brave the Storm review thread

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
Are there any more Enterprise books scheduled?
No not right now. Micheal Martin asked the editors if he could write another Enterprise novel.He hasn't heard back from them yet. It depends on how well To the brave storms books sales.In his recent interview Micheal said never say never he wants to write more Enterpise era fiction.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2011, 02:18 AM   #92
Trippy
NaNoWriMo Victim

View Trippy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Trippy Send a message via Yahoo to Trippy

Got my e-book copy on Kobo this morning and read it before I went out for lunch. It was a quick, short read and as has been said above, it did seem rushed at the end.

I am glad Trip and T'Pol had some closure (literally as it was the last chapter!) and that it was a happy ending for them, but I sure wish we'd gotten the how.

LJ

LJ2
Trippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2011, 02:22 PM   #93
dispatcher812
Commander

Caution Spoiler below.

Finished my Kindle copy this weekened. I gave this an above average. Like most people here I looked forward to this book and found it lacking. Not being an big fan of the Enterprise series as a whole, I was excited to find something worth the read in Beneath the Raptors Wing and that delevered. However, To Brave the Storm was rushed, and incomplete. Too may plot lines like Trip's rescue not explained.

Because of this "rushed" feel I actually missed a part and would like to ask a question. How did T'Pau give up the katra of Surak? I remember the part when T'Pol realizes T'Pau has it and then the katra is killed in the explosion at Mount Seleya. When did she give it up and how?

Again, overall a decent book. It is one I did not want to put down. Hopefully not the end of the Enterprise series. These past two books have given me an interest in this series.

Kevin
dispatcher812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2011, 03:29 PM   #94
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

^ Your comments don't seem to support an "above average" rating.

In reading reviews at Amazon of both Romulan War books, however, I've noted several positive reviews that still point out serious flaws.
Old November 8 2011, 03:38 PM   #95
dispatcher812
Commander

MatthiasRussell wrote: View Post
^ Your comments don't seem to support an "above average" rating.

In reading reviews at Amazon of both Romulan War books, however, I've noted several positive reviews that still point out serious flaws.

Exactly. What was there was a very good read, hence the rating. My issue wasa with the rushed feel of this book, not with what was actually in the book.
dispatcher812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2011, 07:32 PM   #96
GalaxyClass1701
Captain

View GalaxyClass1701's Twitter Profile

I'm really trying hard to finish this. lol I'm finding it very difficult and I'm 213 pages in.

The way he writes its like you don't get to see anything happening. The ENT goes to the Kuiper belt and finds the problem. Then the chapter ends and you find out what happened but you don't get to see it!

Anyone else feel like this?
GalaxyClass1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2011, 08:30 PM   #97
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Would it be possible for Mr. Martin to post here or link to a blog indicating what got cut?
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2011, 08:48 PM   #98
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

GalaxyClass1701 wrote: View Post
I'm really trying hard to finish this. lol I'm finding it very difficult and I'm 213 pages in.

The way he writes its like you don't get to see anything happening. The ENT goes to the Kuiper belt and finds the problem. Then the chapter ends and you find out what happened but you don't get to see it!

That was the chief complaint in my review.
Old November 9 2011, 05:18 AM   #99
JD
Admiral

^And in pretty much ever review of one of his solo books that I've seen on here. I haven't read any of them yet to judge for myself, but it definitely is a common trait in the comments I've read.
Old November 9 2011, 06:16 AM   #100
Chris McCarver
Lieutenant Commander

MatthiasRussell wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
^The refit seen in the Ships of the Line calendar is just conjectural, Doug Drexler's attempt to rework the design into something closer to what he would've preferred if he hadn't had to answer to the producers' requirements. There's no reason to assume that the books would include it, though of course they could if they chose to.

But if the book is ambiguous on that count, then you could certainly imagine it as the refitted version in your own mind.
And the ending of this book doesn't exactly set the fate of the ship in stone. Who knows when or why that refit happened. In fact, the ENT novels don't mention an NX class past Endeavor (NX-06) but IFM mentions Intrepid (NX-07).

So I imagine the NX line wasn't shut down permanently during the war, just until it made economical sense to start the line again. Perhaps after the war, the Daedaluses were retired again and the NX line restarted. Perhaps with more time, the NXs were refit just as the Constitutions and Mirandas would be in the next century.

In a similar vein, wasn't the "Ship of the Line" picture of the crashed Columbia published before Destiny was written?
Picard mentions in IFM that there were roughly 15 or 16 NX-class ships built before the class was retired, so at least eight or nine were built after Intrepid.
Chris McCarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2011, 03:58 PM   #101
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

Excellent point. However, Picard is going by memory and may be off but being a historian I doubt by much if at all.

There is a large gap between the NX and the Constitution and I think Drexler's refit is a perfect fill in. The nx refit could also be a test bed for incorporating Tellarite, Andorian, and Vulcan technology into Starfleet design whereas the Constitution becomes the integrated and mature cruiser.

I think a tale about integrating UFP species and navies into Starfleet would make a great story as well as a reflection of modern social issues.
Old November 9 2011, 07:29 PM   #102
The Caprican
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I finished TBTS yesterday and wanted to let it sit for a day before I commented. (MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD)

First of all, I loved the continuation of Trip's storyline. However, the rest of the book fell flat for me. And that's painful to say for me considering how much I LOVED the previous ENT relaunch novels and Martin (and Mangels') work in the past on other titles. To me, we spent far too much time with Admiral Valdore and with T'Pau and not enough with our core characters. Perhaps since (I am assuming) this book was rushed from Book 2 of 3 to 2 of 2, there was a lot left out. It seems most of the events on Enterprise happened "off camera" and we would only catch up with them every few months. Reed, Phlox, and Mayweather were all but forgotten. (Mayweather's reunion with Archer could have been very dramatic and heartwarming in such a hollow and depressing story) Hoshi gets a bit to do, but even though she begins a relationship with Major what's-his-name, we never SEE it. We get some foreshadowing in decon, a casual reference from T'Pol, and then they're married 25 years later. Bing bang done. The same with Archer's rise to the presidency, T'Pol and Trip's relationship, and Trip's eventual rescue from Romulan space. I feel like a good 300 pages were cut from what ended up to be another botched hatchet job of a finale. The crew of Enterprise deserved better. As this is most likely the last outing for this crew (unless we have some "Lost Years" books later on to fill in the gaps), then once again the crew received their Swan Song with the focus being on other characters. (As with the disasterous These Are the Voyages... being a Riker holodeck episode.)
I find it hard to blame Mister Martin as it was most likely the powers that be that ordered the end of ENT in print format. But with the destruction of the DS9 novel line scattering the characters to all corners of the quadrant (Rough Beasts of Empire was the only flawed entry in the absolutely EPIC Typhon Pact series) and now ENT, there doesn't seem to be a lot to offer the passionate Trek reader. The focus seems to be shifting to TNG and Titan books (which, granted, have been amazing to date!!) and TOS books that don't do much in terms of storytelling (The Children of Kings was the only book I have ever started and then put down because I was bored). With the exception of Unspoken Truth and Cast No Shadow, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of continuity of epic storytelling. So, all in all, a sad day for the continuation of the Star Trek print franchise. IMHO.
The Caprican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2011, 07:33 PM   #103
toughlittleship
Fleet Captain

Rough Beasts of Empire was the only flawed entry in the absolutely EPIC Typhon Pact series
I actually liked RBOE a lot more than Seize the Fire and Paths of Disharmony, but to each his own.
toughlittleship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2011, 01:54 AM   #104
The Caprican
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Rough Beasts of Empire SPOILERS

toughlittleship wrote: View Post
Rough Beasts of Empire was the only flawed entry in the absolutely EPIC Typhon Pact series
I actually liked RBOE a lot more than Seize the Fire and Paths of Disharmony, but to each his own.
I think my biggest problem with RBOE was the treatment of Sisko, Kira, and company. I felt like all of the story that had been built with the last (was it nearly 20?) novels for the DSN relaunch, were taken and thrown away like so much garbage. Break up Sisko and Kassidy, make Kira a Vedek, kill off Vaughn. I just felt it was gratuitous slashing of an entire novel series in the span of 40 pages. I don't think I ever gave the rest of the story a fair shake after that.
Old November 10 2011, 01:56 AM   #105
The Caprican
Lieutenant Junior Grade

toughlittleship wrote: View Post
GalaxyClass1701 wrote: View Post

Yes!! That was my biggest problem with the novel. All of the events were terribly interesting. I wish I had seen them, instead of reading the after-action reports.