MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 8 2011, 05:26 PM   #331
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Heh, when I said I wanted "something for Glenn to do", that's not quite what I had in mind. But, hey, Congrats dude, glad you took her up on it, who knows when your next offer may come along, and you sure can't count on you both being as clean and fresh as you were in this encounter.

I enjoyed this episode, sure it was more set up then anything else, but, you can't have payoff, without the set up. And yea, they really need to find the child and put that thread to rest, or let it simmer in the background, until they revisit it to resolve it one way or another. Can't keep having the search take front stage week after week.

Good stuff with Shane's hallucinating/remembering/reflecting.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2011, 05:42 PM   #332
Scout101
Admiral

Just feels like we've been "setting up" for 4 weeks in a row, though, without a lot going on.

Again, look at what we've got so far: Sophia wandered off, they went looking for her. Carl got shot, they took him to the farm. Shane went to go get supplies to patch Carl up (Shane being really the only big development this season), then he got patched up. Looked for Sophia some more, still nada.

Been a few more small things, but hasn't that really been it so far this season? Sure they have some big reveals for later, but right now, not much. Counting the time you need in the premiere to try and get back up to speed and hook new people, that really doesn't feel like more than 2 episodes, max, worth of storytelling. That's why it feels like it's dragging to me.

Heck, outside of Shane and the school bit, haven't had much for zombies even since the herd in the opener. One wandering in the woods, one hanging from a tree, one in the well, did I miss any?

I don't want a Resident Evil shoot-em-up show, and recognize that the characters need breaks between flights of terror, but just feels like it's gone on long enough, time to get moving again (plot-wise, if not physically). Find out more about what's going on, hear about someplace to go, go on another supply raid that doesn't work out very well, something. Wouldn't even mind a little backstory about how the hell the world got like this. We've got characters that lived through that period, wouldn't mind a little storytime there. Seems like the sort of thing Rick should probably be curious about at some point, no?
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2011, 05:50 PM   #333
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
TheBrew wrote: View Post

Those didn't really "find" the farm, being related to the occupants.
Well, it would have the same effect since it would destroy the peace. So I would count it.

I think the biggest pacing problem is Sophia's absence. Everything else is a fine build up, but I am starting to get a bit annoyed with her missing at it just drags.
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2011, 09:04 PM   #334
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

So am I the only one who was singing, "the zombie in the well, the zombie in the well, high-ho the derry-o, the zombie in the well"?

Amazing how good this episode was, when it was about, well what was it about? Just moving several plotlines forward, but everything is interesting and the well scene also shows they can be grossly, scarily comic when they want to be.

So they going for the soapy "who's the daddy" plotline huh? Eh, was hoping for anything but.

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
There's definitely something weird going on at the farm. They don't want our people armed or near the barn and there was a funny reaction when they discussed what to do if Sophia was bitten. They're also very religious. Are they trying to faith heal zombies, and is Sophia one of them (or suspected to be one of them)?
Yeah, it's irrational that they wouldn't want to welcome a group of sensible, competent (well, except for the well ) well-armed folks who can help find supplies and fend off walkers. In fact, Rick should have made that point. But that might have been too much of a tipoff for the audience.

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
And it's especially relevant to the character given her previously stated feelings on bringing up a kid in Zombie Apocalypse world.
Hopefully they'll play up that angle and not the who's the daddy angle.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2011, 10:14 PM   #335
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
So am I the only one who was singing, "the zombie in the well, the zombie in the well, high-ho the derry-o, the zombie in the well"?
I'm the only one making "Lassie" jokes. I think henceforth I'll refer to Well Zombie as Timmy.

Amazing how good this episode was, when it was about, well what was it about? Just moving several plotlines forward, but everything is interesting and the well scene also shows they can be grossly, scarily comic when they want to be.
The Timmy subplot may have been grossly comic, but it was also kind of pointless. Nothing was accomplished. The whole thing screams "filler!". And I agree with numerous posters that something needs to happen with Sophia.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2011, 10:17 PM   #336
Scout101
Admiral

Honestly, i don't really want her BACK, as she wasn't adding anything as a character beforehand, I just want them to stop spending so much screen time looking for her, or talking about looking for her.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2011, 10:51 PM   #337
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Eh, Timmy the Zombie was fun filler. Everything doesn't have to be purposeful in this show, just entertaining.

Also, it shows that the gang is coming together as a team! To fuck things up royally!
Old November 8 2011, 11:04 PM   #338
Kytee
Commander

I would like the Sophia story line wrapped up next episode too, by last night I was sick of hearing about it, but , with so much time invested in that story line, they can't just drop it or stop mentioning it. Its gotta be sorted out one way or the other.
The well really bugged me too, suggesting that if the body came out kicking they would actaully be stupid enough to drink the water was mind boggling. I mean, if they genuinely think the water is drinkable so long as they don't shoot the thing in the well, why bother removing it at all ?

I couldn't figure out why Shanes clothes looked so weird until someone mentioned he's in Otis's clothes now, good catch

Overall I'm really enjoying this season , I do feel like they have dragged out the Sophia thing a bit to much, I dont think I felt that way about anything last season,
hopefully next week brings some closer,

Kytee
Kytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2011, 11:16 PM   #339
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Their entire approach to the Timmy issue was hilariously irrational. In what universe is it preferable to use a human as live bait vs just writing off that well and using one of the other five (didn't Maggie say there were that many?) They're in Georgia, not Arizona. Water can't be that damn precious!

I'd be more leery of shooting Timmy because of the possibility that the gunshot will attract more walkers. They seem to be living in some kind of largely walker-free bubble there on the farm (suspiciously so...) They should do everything possible not to upset that, for instance, waiting for Darryl to get back to the farm and use the crossbow.

Anyway, they better treat Glenn like a prince from now on. What a trooper!
Old November 8 2011, 11:25 PM   #340
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Yeah, it's irrational that they wouldn't want to welcome a group of sensible, competent (well, except for the well ) well-armed folks who can help find supplies and fend off walkers. In fact, Rick should have made that point. But that might have been too much of a tipoff for the audience.
I would guess that the farm can only support so many people plus the religious leanings of the group there.
Old November 8 2011, 11:27 PM   #341
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Then they need to start clearing more land for more farming. Does double duty: gives you more defensible space. Woods BAD open space GOOD!

But I'm sure the "real" reason will manifest itself soon...
Old November 9 2011, 12:05 AM   #342
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Eh, Timmy the Zombie was fun filler. Everything doesn't have to be purposeful in this show, just entertaining.

Also, it shows that the gang is coming together as a team! To fuck things up royally!
Next up: Zombie catapult contests, aka "walker chunkin'."
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2011, 12:15 AM   #343
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Hopefully they'll play up that angle and not the who's the daddy angle.
I think it's inevitable that they do. It seems like a confrontation between Rick and Shane will happen at some point, and that will probably be the motivator.

And if this show had any decent sort of realism, the baby would more than likely be Shane's. It might seem like it's been a long time since they were together, but I think Rick has only been back with Lori for a little over a week. That's not really enough time for a pregnancy test to be effective.

Plus, it just makes sense with Lori asking Shane to stay around and everything.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2011, 12:36 AM   #344
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Kytee wrote: View Post
I couldn't figure out why Shanes clothes looked so weird until someone mentioned he's in Otis's clothes now, good catch
With those clothes and haircut I thought he looked like he stepped out of Of Mice And Men. I half expect him to ask to see the rabbits.
Old November 9 2011, 12:58 AM   #345
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

I'm guessing that the farm hasn't been attacked because the family has largely kept to themselves, in a house on a large tract of empty land surrounded by forest. Zombies aren't strictly attracted to anything except sound (and POSSIBLY light) and it doesn't look like they tend to pick big empty spaces to sit down and wait for the next bit of meat to wander along. Perhaps zombies have agoraphobia as a certain level of instinct?

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote