Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old November 8 2011, 12:09 AM   #136
Kokomo
Commander

Re: Talk of Bryan Singer's BSG project resurfaces

This may sound like a dumb question, but do you think that Singer & co. will drastically redesign the vipers, raiders, flight suits, etc.?

I for one, would LOVE to see an updated version of the original series flight suit/helmet.
Old November 8 2011, 01:20 AM   #137
stonester1
Rear Admiral

There will probably be some stylistic alterations, but I'm guessing the design work will be closer to the designs used in TOS, which were great.

But then, so were the ones on RDMBSG, but it seems they are moving away from that.
Old November 8 2011, 01:28 AM   #138
Kokomo
Commander

Judging by the unused designs for Singer and DeSanto's version in the early 2000's, I think it is safe to assume that Singer will base his designs more on TOS. The Viper pilot helmets that Global Effects did for the show were awesome!
Old November 8 2011, 05:07 AM   #139
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

There's no reason to think so far that Singer's going to use anything from DeSanto's project even for reference. The writer prefers nuBSG to old, and Singer's not even willing to commit to Starbuck being a male character at this point.

DeSanto was the real oldBSG fan.
Old November 8 2011, 05:47 AM   #140
Kokomo
Commander

John Orloff (the writer of the new movie) had this to say recently,

I’m a huge fan of the original series and of the second show, too. But I always thought the first show was a little too heavily reliant on Star Wars, you know? Whereas I think the second show was really original and really cool.

And I think I’ve come up with a way to write this movie that won’t [frick] any of that up. I’m not sure how much they want me to talk about it. Let’s just say it’s not what you expect. It will all work in the universe that exists. It will not conflict with anything Ron Moore has done. I don't think you can compete with what he's done.

Could this mean that the new movie will be set in the NuBSG universe? I mean, I like NuBSG, but if they are gonna make a BSG movie, I'd like for it to be something fresh and new, ya know?

just my $0.02
Old November 8 2011, 06:25 AM   #141
Harvey
Admiral

This popped up earlier in the thread. I doubt there will be any obvious connections to the RDM version, beyond being influenced by its take on the property.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old November 8 2011, 07:01 AM   #142
Kokomo
Commander

Harvey wrote: View Post
This popped up earlier in the thread. I doubt there will be any obvious connections to the RDM version, beyond being influenced by its take on the property.
I really hope we get a fresh new take on it and not just something that mooch's off of what Ron Moore created.
Old November 8 2011, 07:07 AM   #143
stonester1
Rear Admiral

We are all guessing at this point (yes, even you, Dennis). But if they take anything at all from RDM's version (no point in a direct connection, as it really has all been done, except for prequels, and they are already taking care of that), is that they may borrow some tone.

My guess is that the tone of this will have the fun and adventure of TOS, minus the cheese, but gravitas and seriousness of RDM's, without the unremitting grimmness.
Old November 8 2011, 07:31 AM   #144
Kokomo
Commander

I really hope that is the case, too. I wouldn't even mind a 20-30 years after TOS for a setting. Not necessarily a direct continuation of TOS, but still in the same tone as the NuBSG. It can act as a stand-alone story and have some cool updated designs that are reminiscent of TOS, but also gear towards what we saw in NuBSG.
Old November 8 2011, 05:30 PM   #145
milo bloom
Fleet Captain

If it's not coming from RDM directly, I'd rather it be it's own new thing. Blend the two previous series like others have said, but let it be it's own thing.
Old November 8 2011, 05:42 PM   #146
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I expect that it will be a third variation on the premise, featuring new versions of all of the core elements and characters. Orloff is too ambitious a writer to pass up all of the sophistication and tonal potentials of BSG as it's evolved through nuBSG to want to return to the simpleminded storytelling and characterization of the original, but equally significantly the studio is likely planning to spend enough money on this movie that they also want to thread the needle by avoiding giving direct offense to either the oldBSG or nuBSG fans where they can avoid it.
Old November 8 2011, 08:24 PM   #147
Wereghost
Part-time poltergeist.

Screw the fans. Neither set would make a dent in the box office by staying away, which is not going to happen unless the general buzz around the movie is all kinds of negative. Disappointing the critics who are familiar with RDM's show might be a concern, though, and that can be addressed by having depth and high standards of production and performance. They'll probably also want to make the movie family-friendly in direct proportion to its budget. All things considered, maybe BSG should once again draw from the well of Star Wars (1977).

Having said that, I think I'd like to see the antithesis of NuBSG; a movie to which NuBSG is the evil twin and wherein people faced with tough choices actually make a decent effort to act with wisdom and justice.
Old November 8 2011, 08:31 PM   #148
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Kokomo wrote: View Post
This may sound like a dumb question, but do you think that Singer & co. will drastically redesign the vipers, raiders, flight suits, etc.?

I for one, would LOVE to see an updated version of the original series flight suit/helmet.
He had already come up with an upgraded design called the Mark IV for the original effort back in 2000/2001. I personally don't like it all that much, but it clearly has a TOS pedigree. Don't know about the Cylon designs, though, and I don't know if the Mk IV will be recycled for this new movie.
Old November 8 2011, 08:32 PM   #149
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Scrawny71 wrote: View Post
All things considered, maybe BSG should once again draw from the well of Star Wars (1977).
I think they'd be better off following the 2009 sci-fi hits Star Trek and Avatar. Speaking of the latter, if there's one thing I'd like to see in this third BSG that the second one eschewed, it'd probably be weird-looking planets and crazy looking aliens... although given the writer is a nuBSG fan, I can settle for some nice looking planets.
Old November 8 2011, 08:42 PM   #150
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Scrawny71 wrote: View Post
Screw the fans. Neither set would make a dent in the box office by staying away, which is not going to happen unless the general buzz around the movie is all kinds of negative. Disappointing the critics who are familiar with RDM's show might be a concern, though, and that can be addressed by having depth and high standards of production and performance. They'll probably also want to make the movie family-friendly in direct proportion to its budget. All things considered, maybe BSG should once again draw from the well of Star Wars (1977).

Having said that, I think I'd like to see the antithesis of NuBSG; a movie to which NuBSG is the evil twin and wherein people faced with tough choices actually make a decent effort to act with wisdom and justice.
Blasphemer!