Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old November 5 2011, 05:31 PM   #511
MNM
Captain

Re: Mass Effect 3

Reverend wrote: View Post
I don't see a problem with that.
Whether it's a problem or not is probably just a personal perspective. For myself, if I know the single player part is only a small part of that mission, the feeling of incompleteness grows.

If I did a bunch of missions but knew that with each one the stuff I did was but a small part of it and there is more to do, but you can only do that through a different type of play (one that I have no intention of playing), that would lessen the game for me.

We'll see obviously.
MNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2011, 05:33 PM   #512
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Action Mode sounds ridiculous, making choices that impact the story is one of the main features of ME. I understand why it's there, but anyone that picks it over story or RPG mode needs a good talking to.
Old November 5 2011, 07:28 PM   #513
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Given how many people skip through the dialog entirely and given how binary the choices really are (will I be nice or mean?), I can see a case for turning it on anyway.
But either way, those seem to just be guidelines, since after that screen, you are allowed to select the game difficulty and the dialog choice settings.

What concerned me was that a lot of the game is still linear corridors with shooting. The only difference is that now you can climb ladders, so they add in a bit of verticality, but it's not like it suddenly opens up the maps or anything - you aren't climbing up in order to get a better sniping vantage point or something like that.

Add the fact that, right after Gears 3, it's very clear that the game just doesn't play well was a TPS. It's functional, as much as say Uncharted 3 is functional, but it just doesn't "feel" as good as Gears. I only got to play the multiplayer mode for a few minutes, but it shows how clunky everything feels from how you move from cover to cover to how your character moves through a map in general.

And, of course, given that the story is basically yet another BioWare standard tale (imagine Dragon Age 1 in space), and I'm much cooler on this than I was before the beta leaked. The fact that they tarted up Ashley to make her more appealing to men is sort of icing on the cake.

But hey, there's the Mansell soundtrack at least!

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2011, 07:39 PM   #514
Skywalker
Admiral

Epic face_plain at Action Mode. Screw the lazy gamers. They can go play Call of Duty if they don't want to bother actually playing their character. But then again, a friend of mine would probably choose Story Mode as she's less interested in the combat aspects, so hey, at least they made an option for both.
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2011, 07:41 PM   #515
bullethead
Fleet Captain

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
What concerned me was that a lot of the game is still linear corridors with shooting. The only difference is that now you can climb ladders, so they add in a bit of verticality, but it's not like it suddenly opens up the maps or anything - you aren't climbing up in order to get a better sniping vantage point or something like that.
To be fair, I think its too early to say anything about that. The beta only includes the Earth opening and Sur'kesh, two levels repeatedly shown off at every convention BioWare goes to. Since the Earth level doesn't let you have a long arm until the very end and Sur'kesh is set in a cramped facility with enemies dropping in from the air, there aren't a lot of opportunities to show off the type of verticality you want. You might be better off looking at footage of the MP stuff, since I've heard that those maps are based of campaign maps.

Lord Vader wrote: View Post
Epic face_plain at Action Mode. Screw the lazy gamers. They can go play Call of Duty if they don't want to bother actually playing their character. But then again, a friend of mine would probably choose Story Mode as she's less interested in the combat aspects, so hey, at least they made an option for both.
I really don't think that's a fair assessment, especially since you do get a whole menu full of options so you can tweak things to how you want it. Sure, there might be some people who breeze through on autopilot through the dialogue, but I can see this being useful for those who want to see a full paragon/renegade playthrough after they've replayed the game a few times.
Old November 5 2011, 08:46 PM   #516
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

I only got the chance to play one MP map before EA pulled down the servers, but the one I played seemed like a variant of the warehouse levels from ME1. It just felt very cramped compared to either a Gears map or an Uncharted map.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
Old November 5 2011, 10:34 PM   #517
6079SmithW
Vice Admiral

It looks fantastic and I can't wait to play this! I don't care about the multiplayer, though.
Old November 7 2011, 04:00 PM   #518
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Well, it seems that we've got our first taste of Clint Mansell's work as the composer in what appears to be the game's main theme.

End of first mission (mild spoilers): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF_KX6U0YDk&t=21m26s

Music without the spoilers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sLWrTsbRQs

I don't know about you guys, but I think this Mansell fellow may just have a future as a composer.
Old November 8 2011, 12:11 AM   #519
HotRod
Commander

Mother of God! Dammit! Is it march yet!?!?
HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2011, 12:14 AM   #520
Skywalker
Admiral

Dude, it's November 2012. You slept for an entire year and missed ME3.
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2011, 12:15 AM   #521
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Even in a rough state that's a hell of an impressive intro! Have they said at all how much time is supposed to have past since ME2?

Speaking of which, do we know how much of a span of time--post-epilogue, of course--ME2 was supposed to cover? If we assume the Cerberus Daily News thing was on a 1:1 timeline then it could have been as much as a year from the Lazarus Station to the Alpha Relay.

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Yeah and he completely missed out on that 'Blasto the Hanar Spectre' DLC. Nowhere near as good as the 'Revenge of Armistan Banes' one IMO.

Last edited by Reverend; November 8 2011 at 01:51 AM.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2011, 12:24 AM   #522
HotRod
Commander

Skywalker wrote: View Post

HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2011, 12:26 AM   #523
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Umm, well, if you care about ME3 spoilers, you should basically turn off your internet now. The entire script is out there on the internet, and apparently NeoGAF got hit by a cease and desist, which means that it has to be a real script.

Old November 8 2011, 12:34 AM   #524
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

[spoilers=ME3 Beta] [...] [/spoilers]
FYI: No "s" at the end of "spoiler" for the tags to work correctly.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2011, 02:02 AM   #525
Reverend
Rear Admiral

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
Umm, well, if you care about ME3 spoilers, you should basically turn off your internet now. The entire script is out there on the internet, and apparently NeoGAF got hit by a cease and desist, which means that it has to be a real script.
Well that sucks. The people at Bioware (Casey Hudson in particualr) must be having a very bad week.

While I admit I haven't been as strict with myself as I should have been with avoiding spoilers, there's no way I'd go looking for the script. I mean what's the point?

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
[spoilers=ME3 Beta] [...] [/spoilers]
FYI: No "s" at the end of "spoiler" for the tags to work correctly.
Serves me right for not double checking! Fixed now though.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote