Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 7 2011, 10:44 AM   #301
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Borgminister wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Temis the Bleeding Aorta wrote: View Post
The idea that it's important for people to "hold onto their humanity" is a romanticized notion that doesn't actually hold up to an examination of the shit people do get up to, and whether they are rewarded or punished for it.
This is called "nihilism." It's a horrible idea in real life and it's a horrible premise for a TV show.
The Donner Party Chronicles...

No?
The Donner Diaries. This Fall on the CW.

* Cue melancholy folk guitar. *
Old November 7 2011, 04:20 PM   #302
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

^^ FTW

Great episode, except that I missed the last 15 minutes thanks to changing the clocks back and being really tired.. Oh well.. That's what On-demand is for!!

I know Shane is mentally wrestling with the things he's done, but what's with the "local yokel" accent he's developing. I know he's wearing Otis's clothes now (isn't that a real kick in the teeth), but all of a sudden he's gone all "Sling Blade" it seems with his looks and mannerisms.. I found that to be very distracting.
Old November 7 2011, 04:30 PM   #303
Borgminister

He'll start making the zombies line dance playing a banjo soon...

A seriously good exploration of the human condition with some fun and scary brainless carnage thrown in--what more could you want in a show?

And that girl? She's got to be dead, as implied by the flower.... although some stuff indicating signs of life was found at that big farm structure by Mr. Crossbow.

Hm.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2011, 05:11 PM   #304
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

timothy wrote: View Post
remmber this is a different setting than in the comics. shane should be dead right now and there would be more than just the one black guy. but I can't wait to see if they keep what's in the barn. from the comics to the show.
The implication is that they will. In last night's episode Herschel told Rick there was no need to go towards the barn and would consider that they could stay if they "followed the rules." Also, why else would he insist they disarm unless something else was going on around the farm?
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2011, 05:29 PM   #305
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Borgminister wrote: View Post
He'll start making the zombies line dance playing a banjo soon...

A seriously good exploration of the human condition with some fun and scary brainless carnage thrown in--what more could you want in a show?

And that girl? She's got to be dead, as implied by the flower.... although some stuff indicating signs of life was found at that big farm structure by Mr. Crossbow.

Hm.
I kind of think Sophia encountered a one handed Merle in the woods and he's protecting her now.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2011, 05:50 PM   #306
sojourner
Vice Admiral

^Merle's a head trauma hallucination of Daryl's. There is a commercial that aired during Hell on Wheels showing him take a fall with a good crack to the head while out doing his solo searching thing.
Old November 7 2011, 05:52 PM   #307
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

I hope Sophia's not in the barn.

Am I the only one thingking that there was an awful lot of filler in this episode? I understand that not EVERY week can feature hordes of zombies (nor would I want this show to be all running and gunning - we have Resident Evil movies for that), but the only valuable storyline was Lori confirming her suspicions, and the growth of the "Glaggie" relationship. I'd think that the Lori / Glenn stuff could have been part of another episode and we'd have little to carry the show forward this week. I hope that future "breather" episodes can still move the individual plot lines along.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2011, 06:11 PM   #308
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
I hope Sophia's not in the barn.

Am I the only one thingking that there was an awful lot of filler in this episode? I understand that not EVERY week can feature hordes of zombies (nor would I want this show to be all running and gunning - we have Resident Evil movies for that), but the only valuable storyline was Lori confirming her suspicions, and the growth of the "Glaggie" relationship. I'd think that the Lori / Glenn stuff could have been part of another episode and we'd have little to carry the show forward this week. I hope that future "breather" episodes can still move the individual plot lines along.

Mark
Actually, there is a bit more going on in this episode then what it looks like. A few of the seeds for what happens to the group next were sewn (as long as they are still loosely following the comic).
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2011, 06:19 PM   #309
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
^Merle's a head trauma hallucination of Daryl's. There is a commercial that aired during Hell on Wheels showing him take a fall with a good crack to the head while out doing his solo searching thing.
I didn't watch Hell on Wheels, so I mostly likely missed it. So he didn't survive after all?

Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2011, 06:48 PM   #310
the G-man
Commodore

DarthTom wrote: View Post
remmber this is a different setting than in the comics. shane should be dead right now and there would be more than just the one black guy. but I can't wait to see if they keep what's in the barn. from the comics to the show.
The implication is that they will. In last night's episode Herschel told Rick there was no need to go towards the barn and would consider that they could stay if they "followed the rules." Also, why else would he insist they disarm unless something else was going on around the farm?
Haven't read the comics so if I'm right this isn't a spoiler but I'm guessing Hershel's zombie wife is out there. He mentioned losing her to the plague and his "don't give up hope" and comment early on about how wrong, in hindsight, it was to ostracize AIDS patients would seem to indicate he doesn't believe they're just walking corpses.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2011, 06:55 PM   #311
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

the G-man wrote: View Post
Haven't read the comics so if I'm right this isn't a spoiler but I'm guessing Hershel's zombie wife is out there. He mentioned losing her to the plague and his "don't give up hope" and comment early on about how wrong, in hindsight, it was to ostracize AIDS patients would seem to indicate he doesn't believe they're just walking corpses.
Good catch as well. If they really want to be cruel and go out there, Sophia will be zombie food for Herschel's zombie wife if you're right. That might be too intense though for a TV audience.

Edited to add: isn't this whole thread known to contain 'spoilers,' since it's labeled that way? So anyone that reads it should expect spoliers in the conversation?
Old November 7 2011, 07:02 PM   #312
Scout101
Admiral

The point is that it contains spoilers to those that haven't seen the show. Intent is to try and keep spoilers from those that have read the comics a bit more under wraps. Kinda a two-tiered spoiler system here
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2011, 07:05 PM   #313
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Scout101 wrote: View Post
The point is that it contains spoilers to those that haven't seen the show. Intent is to try and keep spoilers from those that have read the comics a bit more under wraps. Kinda a two-tiered spoiler system here
I see. Well, unless one of the posters is part of the acting, writing, or production staff it's all speculation since the show is straying off the comic book storyline.
Old November 7 2011, 07:19 PM   #314
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Scout101 wrote: View Post
I see. Well, unless one of the posters is part of the acting, writing, or production staff it's all speculation since the show is straying off the comic book storyline.
I believe Kirkman has said in interviews that they are using the comics as a roadmap, but that there will be detours.

I could list off the names of the current characters still alive in the comic as of issue 90, and while not a spoiler for the show, it's a good indicator of where things are headed.

"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2011, 07:45 PM   #315
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

remmber this is a different setting than in the comics. [...] there would be more than just the one black guy.
Actually, no, there would still just be one, though Tyreese was quite a bit different than T-Dog has been portrayed.

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
Am I the only one thingking that there was an awful lot of filler in this episode?
I didn't think it was filler. We saw the overt beginnings of a relationship between Glenn and Maggie; we learned that Lori is pregnant; we saw the early stages of Shane wrestling with killing Otis;. we learned that there's still a chance Sophia is alive; we learned that at least one zombie has gotten to the farm, despite Otis's prior claims that none had been there; we heard hints that Otis is likely hiding something (disarming Rick's group, "follow the rules" and so on); we got good character moments between T-Dog and Dale, between Daryl and Carol, and between Rick and Otis; and we saw the group starting to settle into a new environment. I think this was all worth an entire episode.

Obiwanshinobi wrote: View Post
So [Meryl] didn't survive after all?
Based on comments from the producers, Meryl is definitely still alive and out there somewhere.

isn't this whole thread known to contain 'spoilers,' since it's labeled that way? So anyone that reads it should expect spoliers in the conversation?
Please read this post. The basic point is that spoilers for what has aired is fair game, as is typically the case in any other series or movie discussion thread. Speculation on future events based on what we've seen in the show is, of course, also fair game. Spoilers for the comics, however, should be kept in spoiler code, because there are plenty of people watching this show and posting in this thread who have not read the comics. It would be incredibly rude, in my opinion, to spoil those people on potential future events.

Vendikarr wrote: View Post
I believe Kirkman has said in interviews that they are using the comics as a roadmap, but that there will be detours.
Not just Kirkman, but Darabont and Gale Anne Hurd as well. I haven't read any interviews with Glenn Mazzara, but I imagine he'd echo that line as well.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote