RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,663
Members: 24,815
Currently online: 463
Newest member: AlphaZero

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 4 2011, 09:35 AM   #46
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: What SF/F Book Are you Reading? .. Redux

^
That's one hell of a cover.

I finished Cryoburn (and thus the Vorkosigan series) a few days ago. Was pretty satisfying overall.

Just started Old Man's War, three chapters in. It's a good read so far, although half dozen of the senior citizens Scalzi's thrown at me speak with almost interchangeable snark/scientific speculation. He wrotes both pretty darn well, though, so one will see.
Old November 4 2011, 04:20 PM   #47
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Klaus- Try The Coming of the Quantum Cats by Fred Pohl. If you liked The Big Time you'll like that. Or try the short story by Poul Anderson The Nest.

BTW-love your sig. Here it goes now, the circular motion-Rub it!

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2011, 04:22 PM   #48
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
^
That's one hell of a cover.

I finished Cryoburn (and thus the Vorkosigan series) a few days ago. Was pretty satisfying overall.

Just started Old Man's War, three chapters in. It's a good read so far, although half dozen of the senior citizens Scalzi's thrown at me speak with almost interchangeable snark/scientific speculation. He wrotes both pretty darn well, though, so one will see.
Hate to double post but missed this at first. Scalzi does good-he's VERY reminiscent of Heinlein in style. Old Man's War was like a breath of fresh air in a stale market when it came out...

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2011, 07:48 PM   #49
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

I have Old Man's War in the queue as well, just having fun working through unread things from the old masters first.

ty for the recommendations, the only Pohl I've read are the Heechee books IIRC... and I need to read more Poul Anderson in general, whatever I've read of his is lost in the misty depths of time.

Mistral wrote: View Post
BTW-love your sig. Here it goes now, the circular motion-Rub it!
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2011, 01:40 AM   #50
Lowdarzz
Captain

I just started The People of the Black Circle by Robert E. Howard.
Lowdarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2011, 12:40 PM   #51
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Mistral wrote: View Post
Hate to double post but missed this at first. Scalzi does good-he's VERY reminiscent of Heinlein in style.
Old Man's War does have a vague Starship Troopers/Forever War vibe but I figured this comes with the genre. I'm not wild about Heinlein.

Klaus wrote: View Post
I have Old Man's War in the queue as well, just having fun working through unread things from the old masters first.
Conversely, I've realized that so many of the science fiction authors I've read were either dead or wrote the works I was reading decades before I was born. When most of the 'recent science fiction' I read as a teenager was either the later Arthur C. Clarke novels (or novels he 'co-wrote', like The Light of Other Days or the Rama sequels) that does say a fair bit... so I resolved to read more actually living writers this year, preferably those who may have actually written books after I was born.

This said:

ty for the recommendations, the only Pohl I've read are the Heechee books IIRC...
Try Space Merchants, which he wrote with Kornbluth, and also Jem. Both are great. Space Merchants has a wickedly deadpan satire of Madison Avenue and Jem has some of the best alien species I've come across in literature for a long while (the passage where Pohl patiently tries to explain how Sharn-igon saw himself is a highlight of the book). One disgresses...
Old November 5 2011, 10:16 PM   #52
Valin
Rear Admiral

Lowdarzz wrote: View Post
I just started The People of the Black Circle by Robert E. Howard.
A classic. One of the best Conan stories.

I just finished reading "Changes" by Jim Butcher. Excellent Dresden novel. And I'm about 100 pages into "Ghost Story" by Butcher.
Old November 6 2011, 02:34 AM   #53
stj
Rear Admiral

Jack McDevitt's Time Travelers Never Die
Old November 8 2011, 07:00 PM   #54
Kegg
Rear Admiral

So I finished Old Man's War.

The bad first:
Scalzi learns his Heinlein lessons a little too well.

It's no Forever War. It's not even close, but it is - overall - a fine damn read, a very quick one, and I've already found myself plunging into the sequel. Scalzi's got an excellent sense of pacing and quite confident prose, he has genuinely clever and fun ideas about the applications of medical science to warfare (the basic conceit of the novel of septugenarians as draftees never gets old, if you'll forgive the horrible pun) and overall it's damn fine sci-fi war stuff.
Old November 8 2011, 10:53 PM   #55
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Finally reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and wishing that instead of a Blade Runner remake, someone would make an attempt at a closer adaptation. The stuff about people being nostaglic about animals and them representing a kind of status symbol is both intriguing and sad.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2011, 11:10 PM   #56
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Finally reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and wishing that instead of a Blade Runner remake, someone would make an attempt at a closer adaptation. The stuff about people being nostaglic about animals and them representing a kind of status symbol is both intriguing and sad.
Yeah. There's a lot of details from the book I miss in the film - the omnipresent Buster Friendly and Mercer, for example. I also prefer Luba Luft as an opera singer compared to being a snake handler, but eh.
Old November 15 2011, 04:50 AM   #57
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

Finished Jack of Eagles by James Blish, which was very interesting, about a guy who develops the ability to see the future which wrecks his life and then things get strange lol, including alternate universes. It would actually make an interesting TV/movie plot, though the climax is a little esoteric for anyone except maybe Terry Gilliam to wrestle with.

And as I began to suspect, it had absolutely nothing to do with that lovely orange Chris Foss cover I posted above! Gotta love the 70s publishing industry.

Based on recommendations above and what I read about it, now on to lots more alternate realities in The Coming of the Quantum Cats by Frederick Pohl.

Last edited by Klaus; November 15 2011 at 09:35 PM.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2011, 04:57 AM   #58
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Loved Old Man's War and Time Travelers Never Die. Two of my favorites reads this year.
Old November 15 2011, 03:45 PM   #59
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
The stuff about people being nostaglic about animals and them representing a kind of status symbol is both intriguing and sad.
The film touched on that to some slight extent.
Old November 15 2011, 09:27 PM   #60
nickyboy
Fleet Captain

Reading The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons, it is really good so far.

Romo Lampkin - The Son Also Rises

Last edited by nickyboy; November 15 2011 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Spelling
nickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote