Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old November 3 2011, 04:50 AM   #496
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty
Re: Mass Effect 3

Hey guys, guess what?

Better have a good internet connection, and XBLive or Origin. Or you won't be playing this game.

At all.
Old November 3 2011, 05:11 AM   #497
Skywalker
Admiral

I have XBL, but I still think this is super lame.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2011, 05:29 AM   #498
6079SmithW
Vice Admiral

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
Hey guys, guess what?

Better have a good internet connection, and XBLive or Origin. Or you won't be playing this game.

At all.
Perhaps I'm just having a dumb moment, but do you mean to say that in order to play ME3 (including the single player) you will have to have an internet connection and XBL? Please tell me I just misunderstood cause that would be unfortunate.
Old November 3 2011, 05:54 AM   #499
Saquist
Commodore

So stupid...
Saquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2011, 01:52 PM   #500
bullethead
Fleet Captain

6079SmithW wrote: View Post
Hey guys, guess what?

At all.
Perhaps I'm just having a dumb moment, but do you mean to say that in order to play ME3 (including the single player) you will have to have an internet connection and XBL? Please tell me I just misunderstood cause that would be unfortunate.
You don't need XBL for the singleplayer, but the co-op requires it unless Bioware announces that they've added splitscreen/local co-op.
Old November 3 2011, 07:56 PM   #501
6079SmithW
Vice Admiral

^Ok. Thanks. Single-player-only me was slightly worried. That's still lame, though.
Old November 3 2011, 08:07 PM   #502
Reverend
Rear Admiral

What! A multiplayer mode that requires an internet connection!? Well that's just utterly unprecedented!!!

Seriously though, didn't ME2 require online activation, if only on first install? I think most games these days require an internet connection, so this is hardly a surprise.

Oh and I think we all knew Origin was going to be a requirement for this one. Indeed, I suspect EA are hoping that this game will do for Origin what HL2 did for Steam. Who knows, maybe it will.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2011, 12:20 AM   #503
HotRod
Commander

While I have no real problem with Mass Effect multiplayer, I'm just hopfull that they include an offline mode for playing this whole "galaxy at War" thing. I don't have to many friends who game and I have even less friends who care about Mass Effect near as I do. Therefore, I'm really hoping they include an option to play with bots ala L4D. I'd really feel like I'm missing something if I can't play every part of the game.
HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2011, 12:24 AM   #504
Skywalker
Admiral

I'm sure there are at least three other people around here who might be willing to play with you.
Old November 4 2011, 12:50 AM   #505
Steven
Admiral

Hey guys, guess what?

At all.
I really hope that's only for the multiplayer component and not the same sort of bullshit that Ubisoft pulled with Assassin's Creed II, requiring an active internet connection all the time, even with singleplayer mode.
Old November 4 2011, 08:44 PM   #506
MNM
Captain

HotRod wrote: View Post
While I have no real problem with Mass Effect multiplayer,
Personally it just comes across to me as something that has been shoe horned into a game that didnt need it for reasons other than making it a better game.

Actually I read an interview the other day where they described the multiplayer missions as you going in to finish what Shepard started. The single player game seemed secured the objective, but the multipl player goes in as it is clearly not over. I didnt actually like that as it gave the impression that the single player left things unfinished.
MNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2011, 03:12 AM   #507
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I don't think anyone imagines that the SP campaign will involve Shepard personally fighting every engagement of a galaxy wide war single handedly. The way they've been explaining the narrative conceit is that the MP matches are a cross-section of the countless little skirmishes by commando strike teams happening all over the place. I don't see a problem with that.
Old November 5 2011, 03:17 AM   #508
Skywalker
Admiral

Yeah, that makes sense to me. Shepard can't be everywhere. At least they're using the multiplayer in a creative manner.
Old November 5 2011, 04:29 PM   #509
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Tons of new ME3 info thanks to a leak by Microsoft.
I like most of what I see aside from the health and shield bar being permanently on screen.
Old November 5 2011, 04:47 PM   #510
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I doubt any UI at this stage is final. I remember seeing early ME2 footage that had the old ME1 setup as well as something in between that and what they ended up using. I like they that they've apparantly fixed Anderson's mutant potato head. Not digging what they've done to Ashley though, she looks like a totally different person and it's not an improvement. Oh and the high heels and the miniskirt don't exactly help either.

Last edited by Reverend; November 5 2011 at 05:20 PM.