Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 3 2011, 02:54 PM   #31
Christopher
Writer

Re: X-Men (2000): still a darned good flick

One of the main problems for me about X-Men: The Last Stand was how Dark Phoenix basically contributed nothing to the climactic battle, but in retrospect, I think it kinda works. I mean, the idea behind Dark Phoenix in the movie was that she was evolving beyond really caring about the affairs of lesser mortals. Magneto wanted Phoenix as a weapon for his cause, but she didn't really care about his cause and that's why she didn't do anything.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2011, 03:09 PM   #32
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

I also liked 3, me and Ebert's agree on why: it had an actual story that was socially relevant.
Social relevance doesn't makes something good. In fact it usually ends up fairly ham fisted without the story to back it up thereby making the whole product come off the worse.

But anyway FSM, all the reasons X3 sucks/doesn't suck have already been covered here.
Old November 3 2011, 03:27 PM   #33
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

You're right. Messages can be ham fisted, but the X-men was always traditionally an allegorical message story from the beginning
Old November 3 2011, 03:31 PM   #34
RoJoHen
Awesome

What bothered me about Phoenix was that X2 already established what was happening to Jean. Magneto's mutant machine from X1 had affected Jean and was causing her powers to mutate. Cyclops says in X2 that she has been acting weird ever since Liberty Island.

Then X3 came along and ignored that. I really liked the idea that Phoenix was a result of a new mutation better than the idea that Phoenix had been in Jean's head all along and was being supressed by Xavier.
Old November 3 2011, 03:32 PM   #35
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Hmm interesting
Old November 3 2011, 03:52 PM   #36
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Though I do wonder why Sabretooth's appearance remained more or less constant for over 100 years, only to dramatically change during the comparatively short span of time between X-Men Origins: Wolverine and X1. ]
Magneto tried out his machine on Sabretooth first.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2011, 04:48 PM   #37
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

It could be a different guy with the same name. The only time we hear the name Sabertooth is when Xavier mentions it. I don't recall it being spoken in the origins film. In any case, I thought Tyler Mane was perfect for the role and missed him in the origins film. Leiv Shrieber was quite good, and he is a trained actor so it wasn't a big deal. i thought his galloping looked silly.
Old November 3 2011, 06:50 PM   #38
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
One of the main problems for me about X-Men: The Last Stand was how Dark Phoenix basically contributed nothing to the climactic battle, but in retrospect, I think it kinda works. I mean, the idea behind Dark Phoenix in the movie was that she was evolving beyond really caring about the affairs of lesser mortals. Magneto wanted Phoenix as a weapon for his cause, but she didn't really care about his cause and that's why she didn't do anything.
I always thought that Jean really took to Magneto's line about pawns going first, and that she saw Magneto and the others as pawns to her.

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
What bothered me about Phoenix was that X2 already established what was happening to Jean. Magneto's mutant machine from X1 had affected Jean and was causing her powers to mutate. Cyclops says in X2 that she has been acting weird ever since Liberty Island.

Then X3 came along and ignored that. I really liked the idea that Phoenix was a result of a new mutation better than the idea that Phoenix had been in Jean's head all along and was being supressed by Xavier.
I think it can still work. Xavier suppressed the alternate personality successfully, never to be seen again. Then Magneto's machine cracked and undid the mental barriers that Xavier put in place. I think the problem, if it could be called that, is that no one ever linked it directly back in X3 to Magneto's machine.
Old November 3 2011, 07:11 PM   #39
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

I LOVE the Xmen. Its tone and low key approach to their powers was brilliant and the cast was perfect. My only criticism would be that the final battle seemed a bit stilted and anti-climactic.

X2 was a slightly better film but I would have liked it more if they'd stuck with low key powers instead of ramping up the explosions quite so much.

I agree with Christopher that the biggest criticism is that it totally wasted the Phoenix plot, which should have been the A-plot without a doubt. I thought it was unnecessary to have such a large crowd of mutant cannon fodder at the end too. Apart from that, I really liked the X-group dynamic at the end and I thought that the Beast's plot was a very good, self-contained arc.

I'm totally up for an X4.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2011, 07:44 PM   #40
RoJoHen
Awesome

Team Broccoli wrote: View Post

RoJoHen wrote: View Post

I think it can still work. Xavier suppressed the alternate personality successfully, never to be seen again. Then Magneto's machine cracked and undid the mental barriers that Xavier put in place. I think the problem, if it could be called that, is that no one ever linked it directly back in X3 to Magneto's machine.
Yeah, it can work if you want it to. I just wish they had made the connection clear.
Old November 3 2011, 08:02 PM   #41
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

So; about the first film. Much of what i gather from it matches what others have said. The low-key tone and attention to powers suits the film. Singer was dealing with a film that should have had a bigger budget but didn't. Instead of giving up he probably said to himself... "they want me to make an action movie featuring a diverse group of heroes with superpowers, but they are constantly cutting corners of an already tight budget so screw them! I'm going to make a character story, with some action thrown in. And not just perfunctory action.' He knew that his action scenes could never really live up to fans' expectations with the film's budget so he went down fighting and made the best film he could.
Old November 3 2011, 08:17 PM   #42
captcalhoun
Admiral

the only thing i hate about X2 and X3 is the waste of Cyclops.

the only thing i hate about Wolverine is the ruination of Deadpool

i don't think i actually hate anything in X1 or FC.

i rationalise the second item as: it's not Wade, it's a clone. the clone is called Deadpool, Wade isn't. Wade can later claim the name in the Deadpool movie.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2011, 08:19 PM   #43
RoJoHen
Awesome

Makarov wrote: View Post
the only thing i hate about X2 and X3 is the waste of Cyclops.
I hate this more about X3. A movie about Phoenix should have Scott in the middle of all the action, not dead 10 minutes in.
Old November 3 2011, 08:25 PM   #44
captcalhoun
Admiral

EXACTLY!
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2011, 08:28 PM   #45
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

Yeah, Cyclops was by far the most screwed-over character in a series that's screwed over a lot of characters. I kind of wish the X-Men rights would revert to Marvel, just because I think they'd probably produce a more faithful film adaptation (though I'm sure even they would still make Wolverine a prominent character, given his popularity). But I don't think that's going to happen any time soon, if ever. Oh well.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote