Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old November 2 2011, 08:21 AM   #31
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

Re: GTA V Announced

Just 40 minutes from when i make this post until they release the trailer...

-- Death makes a career move (Terry Pratchett, Hogfather)
Rincewiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2011, 08:37 AM   #32
NCC1701
Commodore

Really? According to the Rockstar site the trailer is still 8 and a half hours away from being released, which means I don't get to see it until tomorrow morning here.
NCC1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2011, 11:46 AM   #33
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

Hm, they changed it, for me it now says over 5 hours...

Old November 2 2011, 03:37 PM   #34
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Remember how Rockstar paid some TV station in the US to air a countdown clock all night, every night for a month in the run-up to GTA4's first trailer?

I remember staying up that night to watch that trailer, and how Rockstar's server crashed and it took me another hour and a half to find a working stream. Good times.
Old November 2 2011, 05:11 PM   #35
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Wow, the site actually worked this time!

Old November 2 2011, 05:16 PM   #36
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Los Santos. Nice.

Also featuring something that was sorely lacking in Grand Theft Auto IV: Color.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2011, 06:34 PM   #37
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

The original trailer for San Andreas only showed Los Santos, so it's possible that this game will feature San Fierro and Los Venturas too but they're holding them back for future trailers. IGN are saying that Rockstar confirmed the game is in San Andreas, but I wouldn't be too surprised if there were mixed wires there.

Either way, the game looks amazing, particularly that mountain range. Here's hoping that we're able to climb that and it's not just scenery, like the cliffs that surrounded the world in RDR.

Speaking of RDR, there was a dog on the beach in the trailer, so hopefully they'll be taking some more animal models and AI from RDR and putting them into the game. Gunning down bears with an attack helicopter is the revenge I'm looking for after all the times they snuck up on me up in Tall Trees.
Old November 2 2011, 07:25 PM   #38
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Looks quite a bit better. Have they changed their engine or is it just improved, I wonder? It looks like it's capable of higher res. Speaking of RDR, I just finished it this weekend. It would be quite fun to see the RDR world in a GTA game to see how it's evolved since the old west.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2011, 07:40 PM   #39
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Looks quite a bit better. Have they changed their engine or is it just improved, I wonder? It looks like it's capable of higher res. Speaking of RDR, I just finished it this weekend. It would be quite fun to see the RDR world in a GTA game to see how it's evolved since the old west.
Nah, it's still the RAGE engine, just as Grand Theft Auto IV and Red Dead Redemption used. We're near -- or at -- the dusk of this console generation, and it wouldn't make sense for Rockstar to put the resources into developing an entirely new engine that would only be used for one game.

I just hope that V can strike a better balance between the character's story and the actual gameplay. Niko's constant moaning of "I killed people, so many people, I want to get away from that life" followed by shooting ten dudes for a hundred bucks was incredibly inconsistent, and it's why I still like Vice City the most out of the Grand Theft Auto series -- Tommy Vercetti was an unrepentant psychopath, much like the protagonist in the Saints Row series.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2011, 09:00 PM   #40
Garak
Talk to me, like lovers do

Trailer looks absolutely fantastic. I was a bit disapointed with the last GTA sbut really have my hopes up here.

Still no word on the release date, eh?
Old November 2 2011, 09:03 PM   #41
Jax
Admiral

Garak wrote: View Post
Still no word on the release date, eh?
I'd imagine next fiscal year so anywhere between October 2012 and April 2013.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2011, 10:04 PM   #42
Kronos
Admiral

Excited, more excited then I was for 4, which as Timby said, lacked color
Old November 2 2011, 11:50 PM   #43
Lonemagpie
Writer

Looks fantastic. So long as they don't have anybody as annoying as fucking Roman this time out, I'll be more than happy.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2011, 05:23 AM   #44
General_Phoenix
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to General_Phoenix Send a message via AIM to General_Phoenix Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to General_Phoenix Send a message via Yahoo to General_Phoenix

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Looks fantastic. So long as they don't have anybody as annoying as fucking Roman this time out, I'll be more than happy.
Yeah, and leave out friends calling you wanting to go bowling or going out to eat. I have pigeons to kill, don't wanna waste time hanging with Lil Jacob, though some of them had some nice perks once you got a high enough percentage in the friendship rating.

I'd be surprised if this game is as big as San Andreas was, with all the county areas and such, not to mention the desert and all that, but would be extremely happy if it did.
Old November 3 2011, 10:43 AM   #45
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

Looks good.
Some speculation:

The Grand Theft Auto 5 trailer dropped this morning (you saw it already, of course, unless you were stuck somewhere hiding out from the mob) and of course it didn't take long until the Speculation Train got itself a'rollin' around the Internets. First things first, that wasn't Ray Liotta you heard speaking in the trailer, Rockstar has confirmed, but of course that doesn't mean Tommy Vercetti is out of the picture entirely -- it is still a Grand Theft Auto game, after all.

PC Gamer has gone even further out on a limb to suggest that the trailer may indicate multiple playable characters in the game: We saw of course the older gentleman who was presumably doing the voiceover, but also a younger guy with a shaved head in the middle of a car chase, and an African American dude running from police choppers. All three were in the middle of that heist seen in the video, so presumably, if the speculation is true, the story will revolve around a heist that connects these three characters and their stories.

And could multiple playable characters mean GTA 5 might make for some co-op campaign gameplay? Roll on, Speculation Train, roll on!
I do hope there is some crossover with GTA4, like seeing or getting missions from some of the GTA4(main and expansion game) characters...