Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old October 30 2011, 09:30 AM   #16
Newton
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I am really keen to play this but I may wait a while. If previous Bethesda games are anything to go by they'll need to release a couple of patches to fix the bugs. Sorry if that's a bit pessimistic but I'm sick of being Bethesda's play tester. I might pick up AC: Revelations while they sort things out.
Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2011, 11:32 AM   #17
clint g
Admiral

I'm on the fence with this one. While I love open world games as a concept, very rarely do I wind up getting hooked. I tend to get over whelmed with all their is to do. While I played a decent bit of Morrowind, I barely scratched the surface of Oblivion before I put it down. Same thing with Fallout 3, yet New Vegas hooked me (different developer, I know).
Old October 30 2011, 11:45 AM   #18
Newton
Lieutenant Commander

The open-world sandbox type games are my favourite. I'm sick of games ending after ten hours of gameplay and how they tend to force me to take a particular course of action. I like the freedom and re-play value that sandbox games provide, and I'm sure I will be playing Skyrim for quite a while.

I played Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas for over 250 hours each and I'm sure they will both get re-played in the future. I didn't play Oblivion for that long but I still got a good 70 hours out of it. I'm sorry to say I haven't played Morrowind.

I think I heard somewhere that when Skyrim comes out the bulk of the Bethesda team will start working on Fallout 4, which is pretty exciting. But knowing how long these things take to develop, I'm not holding my breath for a release date before 2013.
Old October 30 2011, 09:34 PM   #19
6079SmithW
Vice Admiral

I've never played any of the Elder Scrolls games but I like fantasy, open worlds and rpgs so I might get this. Maybe I'll even get Oblivion too. The only thing I find off putting about these games is the amount of time to complete. I hear it takes several hundred hours to do everything in these games and I just don't have that kind of time. I'm a completionist who likes to complete every single quest. I consider 50+ hours to be ideal for an rpg (ME2, DA2) and am happy with 20+ (FC2, KOTOR 1 & 2).

Then again, I did spend 100 hours on AC:B doing mostly nothing so maybe I do have that kind of time to waste.
Old November 1 2011, 01:32 AM   #20
Niorah
Fleet Admiral

View Niorah's Twitter Profile

I don't mind about the time it takes to finish a game, as long as it is enjoyable. Good story, good graphics, simple fighting controls.

I hated the gates in Oblivion and hope to never have to go through one again. Dragons I can handle.

I have pre-ordered Skyrim on the strength of all the happy hours I have spent playing Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas. I hope they won't let me down.
Old November 1 2011, 01:42 AM   #21
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept

yeah I didn't really care for the oblivion gates . . . I only went in the main quest ones on successive playthroughs
it got a lot boring after a while . . . islands in a sea of lava . . . fight your way to the top of gory towers etc . . .
it would have been great if they went to different types of worlds
Old November 1 2011, 01:45 AM   #22
Skywalker
Admiral

I love these games, but after thinking it over, I'm going to wait on Skyrim until I can get a new computer that'd be able to handle the PC version. TES games just aren't the same without the awesome modding community.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2011, 02:07 AM   #23
6079SmithW
Vice Admiral

Which is the best race/class for sword fighting? I like melee classes that rely on dishing out physical damage with high hit points. I looked at the races and I think Nord fits that but what do you guys think? What race are you going to play as?
Old November 1 2011, 03:43 AM   #24
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept

I'm probably going to play a Nord, Orc or Argonian
the thing about Skyrim is that there are no classes. You can be a giant hulking Orc mage, or a short Bosmer(wood elf) warrior with heavy two handed hammers
whatever skills you use most level up quicker, and the more you level your skills the closer you get to the next level where you get a perk, and you can pick whatever perks you want. When you level up you get to increase Health, Magicka or Stamina instead of a ton of different skills like luck, agility, strength etc like in oblivion
your play style determines your class . . . I like to use two handed swords, and also sneak and I can

so to answer your question: all of them
Old November 1 2011, 06:40 AM   #25
6079SmithW
Vice Admiral

backstept wrote: View Post

so to answer your question: all of them
I think I'll just play one of the human races because the rest are too damn ugly imho. I don't like playing as a non-human.
Old November 2 2011, 01:09 PM   #26
Josan
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Josan

Newton wrote: View Post
I think I heard somewhere that when Skyrim comes out the bulk of the Bethesda team will start working on Fallout 4, which is pretty exciting.
Pretty bloody terrifying is what I call it. Bethesda doesn't know a thing about FO. They really should let Obsidian, aka Black Isle MKII, do FO4.
Nationalism, brotherhood, 'pop' culture and puppy love
Josan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2011, 01:33 PM   #27
Newton
Lieutenant Commander

Josan wrote: View Post
Newton wrote: View Post
I think I heard somewhere that when Skyrim comes out the bulk of the Bethesda team will start working on Fallout 4, which is pretty exciting.
Pretty bloody terrifying is what I call it. Bethesda doesn't know a thing about FO. They really should let Obsidian, aka Black Isle MKII, do FO4.
True, Bethesda's story writing leaves a lot to be desired. They are, however, one of the few games developers that are at least attempting vast, open-world games (even if their games are buggy as hell).

I do hope that Obsidian have a part in creating the game, considering how much better FNV was than F3, but I doubt they will. Well, maybe they'll develop F4.5.

Either way, I know I will have fun with Fallout 4, considering I spent over 500 hours playing F3 and FNV. Yes, I have also played the first two.
Old November 2 2011, 03:42 PM   #28
Skywalker
Admiral

Ideal scenario: Obsidian writes the story/dialogue/what have you, but neither they nor Bethesda do any of the actual programming.

I like both companies, but damn if their games aren't always bugged to hell. Especially Obsidian's.
Old November 2 2011, 05:01 PM   #29
Josan
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Josan

Having been friends with several of the old BIS developers, some of whom are obviously at Obsidian, I'll defend them: Obsidian lack the capital to be publishers. As such, they can't always test out their games entirely or patch what needs fixing. That's the decision of the publishers.

Wonderful case in point is Bethesda pulling the support plug after the last DLCs (Lonesome Road and the two item DLCs). Hello? What? You're releasing three DLCs and not a final patch. You always release a patch after a DLC, especially three.

Support is the publisher's responsibility and IMO, Bethesda really screwed the pooch and a damned enjoyable game from Obsidian.
Nationalism, brotherhood, 'pop' culture and puppy love
Josan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2011, 05:19 PM   #30
Skywalker
Admiral

Thanks for the knowledge.

I guess that also explains KotOR II. Damned LucasArts rushing that game just because they wanted it out by Christmas...