RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,679
Members: 24,827
Currently online: 422
Newest member: Sb118_James

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old October 31 2011, 02:28 AM   #31
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Re: TOS in glorious . . . black and white

HGN2001 wrote: View Post
And of course, the first time we all saw "The Cage" in the '80s, some of the scenes from Gene's workprint were in black & white. Those survive on the DVD's and Blu-Rays to this day.
“The Cage” was restored to its original, full-color version sometime back in the ’90s. I recall reading somewhere that the bits that were cut from the original color negative to make the two-part ep “The Menagerie” were found at Paramount in a mislabeled can.

jayrath wrote: View Post
I'm not a moderator, but I did start this thread. Please, no personal attacks, and no sidetracks to Shatner's weight, uniform cloth, etc.
Well, someone mentioned the color and cut of Shatner’s wraparound tunic, so I think a few words regarding the actor’s weight and fitness level are relevant to the topic at hand. I mean, it’s not like anyone was hijacking the thread to discuss Shatner’s toupee.
Old October 31 2011, 03:26 AM   #32
Warped9
Admiral

I initially started watching TOS in B&W and only saw it in colour maybe a year later. I thought it looked fine in B&W. Indeed once in awhile I'll tone the colour down for a bit of a retro experience and it's kinda fun.

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
I actually made the attempt to watch a couple of episodes in black and white. And I liked it a lot better. But that's just me, since I don't like the ultra colorful and camp look of TOS.
Old October 31 2011, 03:30 AM   #33
RAMA
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
I saw it in black and white--family didn't have a color tv till 1980--there was nothing glorious about it.
Please. Watching TOS in black and white was fun. I've been known to dial down the color and watch in b&w from time to time.

I miss childhood, when it was about the stories not whether or not you watched it on the latest gadget.

We can tell, nostalgia seems to be your most identifiable trait.
Old October 31 2011, 03:36 AM   #34
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

When I was growing up, my parents had a color TV upstairs, while my brother and I shared a black and white one downstairs. We didn't exactly refuse to watch Star Trek just because we had to watch it in black and white. On the contrary, we were elated.
Old October 31 2011, 03:56 AM   #35
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

When "Tin Man" was first broadcast I watched it with my family, coauthor and some friends.

Later in the evening I put in the tape, turned the color adjustment on the set all the way down, and watched it in black and white. Then I believed that I'd worked for Star Trek.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2011, 05:23 AM   #36
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

RAMA wrote: View Post

We can tell, nostalgia seems to be your most identifiable trait.
Maybe...

But I feel sorry for you, you seem unable to simply enjoy something for what it is. I've watched Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation on pretty much every type of display from 12" black and white to a 40" LCD. Five minutes in I'm so engrossed in the actual story being told I take little notice of the display or format.

It's why most people aren't as mesmerized by the new effects as you are... they simply enjoy the stories first and foremost. Everything else is just gravy.
Old November 1 2011, 04:01 AM   #37
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Gee, I go away to a Trek convention for a few days...

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2011, 01:18 AM   #38
Navigator_NCC2120
Captain

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
What, 47 isn't old enough to remember the late 60's?
Of course it is old enough to remember the late 1960s, I am 48 and I remember it too. But to be fair I think NBC used that catch phrase ("in living color") and the animated peacock image until about 1974, so I may be remembering it from the early 1970s. I also remember when I went to my first Star Trek convention in August 1978 I got to see TOS blooper reels for the first time and I think the blooper reels had the NBC catch phrase and peacock at the beginning of the reels. I think at one point a hand held phaser is fired and then the NBC peacock is shown, which was supposed to mean the phaser fired on the peacock. So I could be remembering the NBC catch phrase from August 1978.

Navigator NCC-2120 USS Entente
/\
Harvey Holroyd: [to himself] God, I miss that show. (Source: "Serial", 1980.)

Last edited by Navigator_NCC2120; November 2 2011 at 01:52 AM.
Navigator_NCC2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2011, 01:02 PM   #39
HGN2001
Commander

For anyone feeling nostalgic about STAR TREK in black & white, here are a few DVD screen captures with the color saturation removed:

Harry
HGN2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2011, 01:22 PM   #40
Warped9
Admiral

Well, that's what my first exposure to Star Trek Looked like. And one thing you can say is that it helped hide some production sins. Of course the biggest aide to obscuring production sins in those days was the poor resolution of the era's television sets.
Old November 2 2011, 03:57 PM   #41
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I think that looks a lot better.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2011, 08:19 PM   #42
Patrickivan
Fleet Captain

Born in the early 70's, I too had the B&W and colour TV Trek experience. Of course the transmissions weren't as clear either, and that was a huge factor when taking into account how poorly some of the sets transfered over to HD.

Now you can see every little flaw, and that's a bit of a shame.

That said, I wouldn't want to watch it in B&W. I see the world in colour and that's how I want to watch TV. With the exception of shows filmed in B&W before colour became widely used. I don't like movies and shows where colour has been added, primarily because it detracts from the artist and technical aspects of filming in B&W.

Good topic!

40 Years and ticking. Damn, that's too old fashioned.
40 years and still processing!
Patrickivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2011, 12:22 AM   #43
vulcan8630
Cadet

Wow, you guys are really touching a "nostalgic" nerve....I remember my family having a black annd white set during the 60's... In the 70's my dad picked up a 24" stereo/color combo (frame and covering real wood)....That sucker was heavy!....Strange, even with a color TV, we kids did not hang around to watch...we were usually outside riding our bikes, rough housing, playing tackle football, baseball, occasionally listening to our favorite music.....Star Trek was the rare occasion to sit for a while and enjoy the future.

Last edited by vulcan8630; November 3 2011 at 12:25 AM. Reason: misspelled words
vulcan8630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2011, 12:34 AM   #44
Warped9
Admiral

vulcan8630 wrote: View Post
Wow, you guys are really touching a "nostalgic" nerve....I remember my family having a black annd white set during the 60's... In the 70's my dad picked up a 24" stereo/color combo (frame and covering real wood)....That sucker was heavy!....Strange, even with a color TV, we kids did not hang around to watch...we were usually outside riding our bikes, rough housing, playing tackle football, baseball, occasionally listening to our favorite music.....Star Trek was the rare occasion to sit for a while and enjoy the future.
Yep, them were the days...

Today: "What! You want me to go outside? But there's nothin' to do outside!"
Old November 3 2011, 12:34 AM   #45
Navigator_NCC2120
Captain

HGN2001 wrote: View Post
For anyone feeling nostalgic about STAR TREK in black & white, here are a few DVD screen captures with the color saturation removed:

Harry
Thanks HGN2001/Harry. I do recognize that last picture from the episode "The Naked Time", it is just before they break away from the Psi 2000 planet and go back in time 3 days because they used the warp drive while the engines were still cold. Kirk's torn tunic on his right shoulder, where McCoy injected him as he entered the bridge, gave it away for me. I watched Star Trek in black and white too, until the early 1980s.

Navigator NCC-2120 USS Entente
/\
Harvey Holroyd: [to himself] God, I miss that show. (Source: "Serial", 1980.)

Last edited by Navigator_NCC2120; November 3 2011 at 01:44 AM.
Navigator_NCC2120 is offline   Reply With Quote