Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 31 2011, 07:50 AM   #181
Borgminister

Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

sojourner wrote: View Post
Shot him in the leg. A head shot might have led to him not being as attractive to the zombies.
Why? Sushi?
Borgminister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2011, 10:35 AM   #182
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Whoa! Shane threw Otis under the bus? This I've got to see.

propita wrote: View Post
Any idea which tablet or column? Or when in the story, approximately? You got me hauling out my copy of it.
Unfortunately, I do not. It was just a quote they threw up on the screen. I'll go back to my tape and see if they give a reference and post it tonight if they do.
Old October 31 2011, 12:38 PM   #183
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

I think what it came down to for Shane is that taking the chance to save Carl was more important to him than the life of the man who shot Carl. Otis kept saying he was trying to do right by Carl. So Shane made sure Otis paid that debt.

And in the back of Shane's mind, not that he would be ready to admit it, he wanted to be Lori's hero. The problem is Shane is basically a good man, and now he will have to figure out if he can live with his decision.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2011, 02:59 PM   #184
Borgminister

They could've actually gone the 'easy' way out and have Otis be the 'hero' by sacrificing himself for the boy. It was an interesting decision to have it be decided for him by Shane. Definitely a WTF moment.
Borgminister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2011, 03:14 PM   #185
Agent Richard07
Retired

What did they tell whatsherface when Shane got back without Otis? Did she just assume he was there or did they lie about his whereabouts? Something about that part didn't ring true. And speaking of Shane cutting his hair, all I could think of is how he was wasting water by leaving the shower running.

By the way, I saw Zombieland the other night and loved it. A great zombie apocalypse movie with some good humor mixed in. Check it out if you haven't already.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2011, 03:40 PM   #186
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Solid episode. I'm glad they returned to the Zombies. Dale is irritating and his paternalism towards Andrea would annoy anyone.

The safe house seems to have power. Presuambly they are running a generator.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2011, 04:08 PM   #187
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
And speaking of Shane cutting his hair, all I could think of is how he was wasting water by leaving the shower running.
Fresh bread, hot water, that farmhouse doesn't seem to be lacking for anything.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2011, 04:15 PM   #188
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Fresh bread, hot water, that farmhouse doesn't seem to be lacking for anything.
Yea. There sure is a lot of unaswered questions on how they are so well stocked with foodstuffs and other creature comforts.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2011, 04:30 PM   #189
Agent Richard07
Retired

Last night I thought... Why don't they just stay there?
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2011, 04:31 PM   #190
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

The previews for next episode suggest the reason why not.

As to the question of where the power is coming from and so on: obviously they could have a generator running, or the water could be gas-heated, or both. But in either case, there's the question of fuel.

It's possible to set up a remote home with an inverter, a device that takes battery power and turns it into line power. That's the industry I work in. Renewable energy could keep the batteries charged to power the inverter. A place of that size might have a creek or river with a DC microhydro turbine, which would charge the batteries 24/7. That would explain being able to run lights at all hours, electric shavers, and running water (assuming there's an electric well pump somewhere). The only thing you have to worry about is running down the batteries-- and they will get recharged.

But it still doesn't explain the hot water. Electric water heaters are power HOGS and would run down the batteries pretty fast. The water would need to be heated by something else. Someone, somewhere, should have been carping about wasting some kind of fuel.

Maybe they have a solar thermal water heater?

Last edited by Silvercrest; October 31 2011 at 04:45 PM.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2011, 05:58 PM   #191
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Anyone find the picture quality kind of lousy? I actually checked to make sure my TV didn't go into some odd picture mode.
Yeah, the picture quality was rather bad this week on my end too. At first I thought I had accidentally recorded the SD channel.

Shot him in the leg. A head shot might have led to him not being as attractive to the zombies.
On first thought this seemed possible (perhaps the instinct is to only eat food they've killed), but it doesn't seem like it would track with the guy who hanged himself.

Borgminister wrote: View Post
They could've actually gone the 'easy' way out and have Otis be the 'hero' by sacrificing himself for the boy. It was an interesting decision to have it be decided for him by Shane. Definitely a WTF moment.
That was what I initially expected when Shane showed back up at the farm without Otis, and would've felt more or less in line with what little we knew about the television version of the character. But, yeah, it was definitely a more dramatically interesting decision to have him betrayed by Shane.

What did they tell whatsherface when Shane got back without Otis? Did she just assume he was there or did they lie about his whereabouts? Something about that part didn't ring true.
I'd assume they simply didn't say anything to her, and allowed her to assume Otis was outside with the others. She did stay in the room with Carl, after all, preparing him for the surgery when Shane returned, and I would assume Herschel went right to work when he went back inside.

If they incorporate a point from the comics (and there's been some foreshadowing on this front, or at least I've taken it as such), then I think a very good reason will present itself in the next episode or so.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2011, 06:06 PM   #192
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
If they incorporate a point from the comics (and there's been some foreshadowing on this front, or at least I've taken it as such), then I think a very good reason will present itself in the next episode or so.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2011, 06:06 PM   #193
sojourner
Admiral

PsychoPere wrote: View Post

On first thought this seemed possible (perhaps the instinct is to only eat food they've killed), but it doesn't seem like it would track with the guy who hanged himself.
A living screaming person is a better distraction for the zombies than a dead body. Shane was trying to distract as many as he could.
Old October 31 2011, 06:14 PM   #194
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Ah, for some reason I didn't think about it from the most obvious perspective... Yes, that's an incredibly good point.

Also, for anyone who is interested in comparisons and contrasts with the comics: Otis did not die nearly this quickly after his introduction, nor through betrayal, in the comics. He was with the group for a decent amount of time before meeting his end.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2011, 06:18 PM   #195
Dark Gilligan
Writer

propita wrote: View Post
So he was eaten sometime after he hanged himself but before he zombied? That doesn't sound right on timing either.
It's quite possible that the hanging didn't kill him. Botched hangings have left a good many alive and kicking while still in the noose. Imagine if he was still alive and choking when the zombies came upon him and ate his legs, only to die sometime later.