IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Closed Thread

Old October 27 2011, 07:11 PM   #751
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
gaghyogi49 wrote: View Post
As the person who originally took those screenshots I feel qualified to upload them here: ;-)

Image 1

Image 2
Why did they even bother to do this? It's the same angle, the same lighting.
Because this is a static screenshot of a moving image? It's possible that the ship/camera movement is different in the video, but the screenshots were chosen so that the ships looked identical to compare the models.
Old October 28 2011, 03:19 PM   #752
Screamy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Screamy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Screamy

No. TNG never got that creative. They're pretty much static screenshots of the same static fx.
Old October 28 2011, 09:04 PM   #753
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Screamy wrote: View Post
Wasn't there supposed to be a ring of observation lounges around the rim of the saucer?
The rim of the saucer was supposed to be one deck high with the windows above and below sunk into the ceiling/floor to create a "wall of stars" effect with the wall between the windows (which housed the sensor strip on the outside of the ship. This area was supposed to basically a long hallway with chairs, tables and other gathering spots. I guess the budget didn't allow for even a portion of this set to be done given the budget limitations and the space limitations of the studio. IIRC this is one of the reasons why the rim of the saucer (in universe, at least) has unlit windows, this corridor was supposed to be dimly lit for atmosphere.

Ten-Forward was designed as a compromise with the slightly increased budget in S2 to the "grand corridor", even though it didn't fit into the design of the ship it was fudged to.
Old October 29 2011, 01:34 AM   #754
The Fiend
Torturing Savage Dragon

I didn't know that. That would have been very cool but I can see why they didn't end up doing it.
Old October 29 2011, 01:49 AM   #755
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Zombie Seeker wrote: View Post
I didn't know that. That would have been very cool but I can see why they didn't end up doing it.
HERE'S a design sketch by Andrew Probert on what the original idea was behind the E-D's saucer rim and and ARTICLE on his original design intent.

While I think Ten-Forward served the role of the lounge nicely for story telling purposes and for the "atmosphere" the ship was supposed to have of civilians, officers and such living together in a flying space city -something I love about TNG- I think Probert's original idea would've been quite awesome to see and would've given the ship and even greater atmosphere. Would've been awesome to have seen something in the ship like is suggest to have existed that was basically like a mall with shops, restaurants and such to give the ship a real city-like feel.
Old October 29 2011, 12:17 PM   #756
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Its pretty certain the 4 ft model is one of the more unpopular additions to STNG, even as the latter seasons improved qualitatively...I'm not a huge fan of it, but if we step back a bit, the 4 ft model made it easier to film a wider variety of angles and I appreciate it for that. That said, I really would have liked ONE version of the ship, even if the ten-forward area was inaccurate for the STNG-R. There's still a chance they might change the 4-foot shots in the actual series releases after the sampler...well let's hope.
Old October 29 2011, 01:13 PM   #757
Elvira
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Would've been awesome to have seen something in the ship like is suggest to have existed that was basically like a mall with shops, restaurants and such to give the ship a real city-like feel.
A concept that eventually was realized as DS9's promenade. But if you think about it, the idea of having such in the Enterprise would have dated the show heavily to the 1980's.

I mean come on ... a "mall?"

Old October 29 2011, 01:26 PM   #758
Flake
Commodore

Dracula's Castle wrote: View Post
Would've been awesome to have seen something in the ship like is suggest to have existed that was basically like a mall with shops, restaurants and such to give the ship a real city-like feel.
A concept that eventually was realized as DS9's promenade. But if you think about it, the idea of having such in the Enterprise would have dated the show heavily to the 1980's.

Why not? Its a biiiiiiiiiig ship. You can fit a lot in there! I wonder what the total square ft-age is and then we can compare it to a skyscraper.
Old October 29 2011, 04:15 PM   #759
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Dracula's Castle wrote: View Post

Well maybe not a "mall" per se, but the ship was supposed to be about 20% civilian population so some sort of community gathering area would've been nice to see, or at the very least was there and we just never got to see it.
Old October 29 2011, 05:40 PM   #760
Screamy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Screamy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Screamy

Thanks Trekker. Wasn't Trek Online supposed to expand on the interior of the Galaxy Class? Like the "sick bay" we saw was only a tiny portion of an entire section of the ship.
Old October 29 2011, 07:09 PM   #761
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Thanks Trekker. Wasn't Trek Online supposed to expand on the interior of the Galaxy Class? Like the "sick bay" we saw was only a tiny portion of an entire section of the ship.
I think that was the plan under the original developer, but that went away when Perpetual went under and Cryptic started over on development.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
Old October 29 2011, 07:42 PM   #762
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

HERE'S a design sketch by Andrew Probert on what the original idea was behind the E-D's saucer rim and and ARTICLE on his original design intent.
I'd love to see that sketch, but I get this message when I click the link:
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /forgottentrek/images/TNG/Ob-Deck2.jpg on this server.

Thanks,
Doug
Old October 29 2011, 10:01 PM   #763
mswood
Rear Admiral

I think the exaggerated relief on the 4 footer will look horrible in HD. You just have to take a look at a few screen shots of the 6 footer from Generations to know that there is plenty of detail in it. http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...11/gen0636.jpg

Granted the 4 footer probably looked better on a small standard definition TV that was not able to pick up the subtleties of the 6 footer.
You do realize that new shots of the 6ft model in Generations are going to look better then the original ILM, let alone Image G, effects shots. They did a lot of detailing work and a different paint job, then what was originally done for tv.
Old October 29 2011, 10:39 PM   #764
Prologic9
Lieutenant Commander

mswood wrote: View Post
I think the exaggerated relief on the 4 footer will look horrible in HD. You just have to take a look at a few screen shots of the 6 footer from Generations to know that there is plenty of detail in it. http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...11/gen0636.jpg

Granted the 4 footer probably looked better on a small standard definition TV that was not able to pick up the subtleties of the 6 footer.
You do realize that new shots of the 6ft model in Generations are going to look better then the original ILM, let alone Image G, effects shots. They did a lot of detailing work and a different paint job, then what was originally done for tv.
I much prefer the original paint job. There was plenty of detail to it, and it felt much more appropriate to the design.

The Generations scheme tried to replicate the aztecking from the refit-E era (something ILM was never good at), and ends up looking like its covered in plaid.

Physically there's very little added detail, with the phaser stripes being the major upgrade.
Old October 30 2011, 02:28 AM   #765
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

IIRC, the originally the on-line game was supposed to pretty much let you roam the entire damn ship! Which, yeah, included the much larger sickbay area which on the blueprints suggested comprised of an entire deck as basically one huge hospital with the sickbay we normally saw just basically being a quick-care/triage center. There were dental offices, surgery suites, patient rooms, therapy rooms and pretty much everything you'd expect to see in any other hospital.

Doug Otte wrote: View Post
I'd love to see that sketch, but I get this message when I click the link:
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /forgottentrek/images/TNG/Ob-Deck2.jpg on this server.

Thanks,
Doug
Sorry about that, probably a flood control or image-stealing control by the host and my own image host is having issues right now so I can't share the image myself. But if you click on the second link, the article, the image is viewable from it's own thumbnail link. Right sidebar, under the headline "Illustrations" should be the second image under a sketch of officers looking out a window at the Bussard Collector on the starboard nacelle.
Closed Thread