Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old September 22 2011, 05:18 PM   #91
Trekker82
Lieutenant

Re: Re-booting TNG For TV?

The new Abbram's Trek was a hit because of what I said earlier, unfortunately it seems that's what viewers want. I personally want a movie or TV show that has intelligence, good technical conversations, debates or morality, problems dealing with other races ethics, etc. I do enjoy the occasional explosion, action, etc but when a movie is based solely on that it washes the Trek feel away.

I think continuing on the continuity of the prime universe would be fine. Basing the series on the Romulan's, maybe the Iconions or at least their technology or at least their technology.

I don't have Showtime or HBO but I have read a lot of their TV shows, and it seems like because they are aired on those stations its required to have sex scenes, profanity and a lot of gore- is that how we really want Star Trek to be portrayed? Just look at how Stargate SG-1 started out, with a nude scene, albiet not a gratuitous one but a nude scene that doesn't really fit in with the show.
Trekker82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2011, 05:26 PM   #92
OverJoyJackson
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Trekker82 wrote: View Post
The new Abbram's Trek was a hit because of what I said earlier, unfortunately it seems that's what viewers want. I personally want a movie or TV show that has intelligence, good technical conversations, debates or morality, problems dealing with other races ethics, etc. I do enjoy the occasional explosion, action, etc but when a movie is based solely on that it washes the Trek feel away.

I think continuing on the continuity of the prime universe would be fine. Basing the series on the Romulan's, maybe the Iconions or at least their technology or at least their technology.

I don't have Showtime or HBO but I have read a lot of their TV shows, and it seems like because they are aired on those stations its required to have sex scenes, profanity and a lot of gore- is that how we really want Star Trek to be portrayed? Just look at how Stargate SG-1 started out, with a nude scene, albiet not a gratuitous one but a nude scene that doesn't really fit in with the show.
Going back to the prime-universe would be a mistake. Star Trek XI was successful because it was fun; pure and simple and it appealed to my generation. We may not be as all knowing as older generations but theres nothing I can do about that.

What I meant about Dexter and The Walking Dead? Those shows are written for adults. They have well written characters and everything that happens on those shows happens for a reason. They are tightly written and are, gasp, HIP with all kinds of people. TREK needs to expand from the typical Star Trek fanbase if it wants to survive.

Trek XI did that. Nemesis did not. Enterprise did not.
OverJoyJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2011, 05:35 PM   #93
Trekker82
Lieutenant

I don't know how much I can argue this as it's always going to be back and forth but I too in in my twenties and probably could be considered the genration I'm writting about, or at the very least the tail older end of it.

To me, Star Trek has and always should be about exploration, science and technology. I saw nothing new in the new movie. That is my major problem with it. Even some of the things such as phasers were slightly off in the movie. You can't turn an apple into an orange and call it an apple. How can you take such a young crew and put them in command of Starfleet's flagship? The Prime Universe can be fun, why can't there be a balance between the two? Why can't the "canon" be respected?
Trekker82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2011, 10:12 PM   #94
Uxi
Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, I've always said Abrams Trek was good sci-fi and a fun movie, but a bad Trek. Nemesis was both bad Trek and bad Sci-Fi and a bad movie.
Old September 23 2011, 01:32 AM   #95
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

And Insurrection was a bad movie, but good Trek.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2011, 03:36 AM   #96
OverJoyJackson
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Trekker82 wrote: View Post
I don't know how much I can argue this as it's always going to be back and forth but I too in in my twenties and probably could be considered the genration I'm writting about, or at the very least the tail older end of it.

To me, Star Trek has and always should be about exploration, science and technology. I saw nothing new in the new movie. That is my major problem with it. Even some of the things such as phasers were slightly off in the movie. You can't turn an apple into an orange and call it an apple. How can you take such a young crew and put them in command of Starfleet's flagship? The Prime Universe can be fun, why can't there be a balance between the two? Why can't the "canon" be respected?
You are confusing what you want to see in a movie with what they (the producers) believed would make a hit film. You're not wrong, but niether was JJ; It was a hit film.
OverJoyJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2011, 04:06 AM   #97
xortex
Commodore

Bringing back the pseudo yet original universe on the big screen was bound to be a hit film. It would have been a hit tv show too hopefully. It was a direct remake of a classic. How could it not be at least as it tryed to resemble it if sidestepping it. Also for the first time almost since Kirk there was sex appeal from an eligible batchelor. Women define reality.

Last edited by xortex; September 23 2011 at 05:57 AM.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2011, 09:39 AM   #98
DeadmeatDiggory
Commander

Maybe in the reboot, Picard could actually be French.
Old September 23 2011, 10:05 AM   #99
Jetfire

DeadmeatDiggory wrote: View Post
This.
Old October 29 2011, 03:44 AM   #100
Jetfire

I still can't believe people don't like this idea...we do have TOS re-booted on the big screen...why not re-boot TNG on the small screen?
Old October 29 2011, 09:40 AM   #101
Mike Have-Not
Captain

Location: SF Bay Area, North American Continent, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy

Twilight Sparkle wrote: View Post
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Nah, I'd keep Picard male but give him hair. And make him evil.

I'm still going back and forth about the goatee.
^ Played by James Marsters.
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^ I read an interview with Marina Sirtis where she reckoned that they should've got Marsters to play Shinzon in Nemesis. There is certainly a sort of resemblance between his and Stewart's bone structure.
Holy crap, I've always thought the same thing. That Marsters should've played Shinzon!
Old October 29 2011, 04:31 PM   #102
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

DeadmeatDiggory wrote: View Post
This.
Agreed.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2011, 07:20 PM   #103
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I still can't believe people don't like this idea...we do have TOS re-booted on the big screen...why not re-boot TNG on the small screen?
The TOS characters (as distinct from the actors) have a lot of oomph to them. Even re-cast, they still have a great deal of appeal.

But the TNG characters just aren't like that. Maybe some rewriting could improve them, but if you're going to put that much work into things, why not just invent new characters? The TNG characters as such really aren't that compelling. Data is the only really iconic one of the bunch.

But the real problem is that to Hollywood, TNG = old stuff that failed and Abrams' Trek = new stuff that makes shitloads of money. You are never going to be able to get them interested in TNG again, because looked at simplistically (and it goes without saying that's Hollywood's mindset), TNG is what killed Trek and TOS resurrected it.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2011, 05:18 PM   #104
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Temis the Bleeding Aorta wrote: View Post
But the TNG characters just aren't like that. Maybe some rewriting could improve them, but if you're going to put that much work into things, why not just invent new characters? The TNG characters as such really aren't that compelling. Data is the only really iconic one of the bunch.
Picard is also pretty darn iconic, and I think there's a pretty open and shut case to be made for Worf. It's harder to argue for the iconic value of the rest of the cast, sure, but then the TOS films (and series) rested themselves squarely on the shoulders of the Big Three more often than not so I do not see that as a problem.
Old October 30 2011, 06:46 PM   #105
xortex
Commodore

Picard was an old fart. there's something very detached about English people even the guy who played bond. There's something wierd about them. Even the guy from dune laughed at Stewart when he referred to himself as an ass in the desert. He's a nincompoop. Compounded by Brannon Braga also being detached and the rest just being greedy and power hungry. Sex appeal and magnitism is what Shat had in spades. avery Brooks was emotionally unavailable. His wife was killed horribly by the Borg, Picard's people, and he had a teenage whinny and emotionally needy kid and his hands full. Janeway was lost and loved holographic characters. the chemistry of enterprise sucked. T'Pol was incredibly uninteresting. they should have made her T'Pau at least. It's the tiniest of things that make the biggest difference. They didn't want the legal expense. They got 9000 lawyers working for them. No, Not Hal 9000. Braga is just stupid in many ways. Nobody can do everything. Berman was hamstringing him, bringing in Coto the clown over him. I mean how much can you take even if you are a genius. The rug was pulled over even his head by the power hungry political juggernaut politics in hell entrenchment that was Rick Berman.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote