RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,598
Posts: 5,404,533
Members: 24,869
Currently online: 464
Newest member: michiko

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek: Gold Key Archives Vol. 2 Comic
By: T'Bonz on Oct 1

Cumberbatch In War Of Roses Miniseries
By: T'Bonz on Oct 1

Trek 3 Filming Location Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Oct 1

October-November 2014 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Cho Selfie TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

TPTB To Shatner: Shhh!
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 28 2011, 01:44 AM   #646
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral
 
Herkimer Jitty's Avatar
 
Location: Dayglow, New California Republic
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty
Re: Star Ship Polaris

Vektor wrote: View Post
What, no Mac or Linux jokes?
I was actually going to make a 2001 joke, but decided against it. Y'know,

"Open the pod bay door, Vek."
__________________
STAR TREK: 1965-1965½, 1966-1969, Jan. 21-23 1972, 1979-2001, 2003-2005, 2009-?
Herkimer Jitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2011, 04:17 AM   #647
Vektor
Rear Admiral
 
Vektor's Avatar
 
Location: Spokane, WA, USA
Re: Star Ship Polaris

You want a scale reference? How about this?



Or this?



Vektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2011, 05:57 AM   #648
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Star Ship Polaris

Christ, that's awesome!

Next, on Twilight Zone: "Geezer At 20,000 Feet," starring William Shatner.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2011, 06:54 AM   #649
Venardhi
Vice Admiral
 
Venardhi's Avatar
 
Location: Constant transit
Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: Star Ship Polaris

Those missiles are very, very large.

I think I mentioned that before.

Looking great.
__________________
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2011, 07:55 AM   #650
Psion
Commodore
 
Psion's Avatar
 
Location: Lat: 40.1630936 Lon: -75.1183777
View Psion's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Ship Polaris

That's very cool ... but aren't they standing the wrong way?

__________________
Twinkies are back. I knew they couldn't stay away from me for long.
Psion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2011, 12:29 PM   #651
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Star Ship Polaris

Venosferatu wrote: View Post
Those missiles are very, very large.

Well, you haven't seen what they're supposed to blow up.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2011, 04:41 PM   #652
Vektor
Rear Admiral
 
Vektor's Avatar
 
Location: Spokane, WA, USA
Re: Star Ship Polaris

Psion wrote: View Post
That's very cool ... but aren't they standing the wrong way?

Technically, yes, but they're not puffing up like overfed ticks with their eyes bugging out from vacuum exposure either, so let's hear it for creative license!
Vektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2011, 05:39 PM   #653
Vektor
Rear Admiral
 
Vektor's Avatar
 
Location: Spokane, WA, USA
Re: Star Ship Polaris

Venosferatu wrote: View Post
Those missiles are very, very large.
But not without precedent. These missiles are 6 meters long by 0.8 meters in diameter, which puts them in a similar class with many real-world anti-ship missiles (that's essentially what these are in an outer space context). These are probably a little bulkier on average, but they are required to operate in an airless environment where they must provide all of their own propulsion for both thrust and maneuvering, often over vast distances. Also, these are intended for use against much larger ships, so the warheads are probably bigger.

Though probably not as big as the crew would like.
Vektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2011, 07:39 PM   #654
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Star Ship Polaris

Duncan would like them much, much bigger and dirtier.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2011, 08:04 PM   #655
Psion
Commodore
 
Psion's Avatar
 
Location: Lat: 40.1630936 Lon: -75.1183777
View Psion's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Ship Polaris

Vektor wrote: View Post
Psion wrote: View Post
That's very cool ... but aren't they standing the wrong way?

Technically, yes, but they're not puffing up like overfed ticks with their eyes bugging out from vacuum exposure either, so let's hear it for creative license!
Curses! I'll get you next time, Vektor!
__________________
Twinkies are back. I knew they couldn't stay away from me for long.
Psion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2011, 09:24 PM   #656
Mysterion
Rear Admiral
 
Mysterion's Avatar
 
Location: SB-31, Daran V
Re: Star Ship Polaris

Vektor wrote: View Post
Venosferatu wrote: View Post
Those missiles are very, very large.
But not without precedent. These missiles are 6 meters long by 0.8 meters in diameter, which puts them in a similar class with many real-world anti-ship missiles (that's essentially what these are in an outer space context). These are probably a little bulkier on average, but they are required to operate in an airless environment where they must provide all of their own propulsion for both thrust and maneuvering, often over vast distances. Also, these are intended for use against much larger ships, so the warheads are probably bigger.

Though probably not as big as the crew would like.
for what it's worth, that's around the same size as the Pershing missiles deployed by the US which were 1.02 meters in diameter, and 10.5 meters long.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MGM-31_Pershing#Missile
__________________
USS Galileo Galilei, NCC-8888
Prima Inter Pares

Last edited by Mysterion; October 28 2011 at 10:26 PM.
Mysterion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2011, 02:03 AM   #657
JES
Captain
 
Location: Ocoee, Florida
Re: Star Ship Polaris

Vektor wrote: View Post
Venosferatu wrote: View Post
Those missiles are very, very large.
But not without precedent. These missiles are 6 meters long by 0.8 meters in diameter, which puts them in a similar class with many real-world anti-ship missiles (that's essentially what these are in an outer space context). These are probably a little bulkier on average, but they are required to operate in an airless environment where they must provide all of their own propulsion for both thrust and maneuvering, often over vast distances. Also, these are intended for use against much larger ships, so the warheads are probably bigger.

Though probably not as big as the crew would like.
Actually, it is probably a good thing that they aren't any bigger, since the bigger they are, the easier they are to hit.

What are they supposed to be, small thermonuclear warheads? I'm no engineer, but I'd imagine that if they get hit while in their silos, that wouldn't be a good thing. I'm almost a little surprised that they don't have any hatches to conceal them now that I think of it...
JES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2011, 03:08 AM   #658
Vektor
Rear Admiral
 
Vektor's Avatar
 
Location: Spokane, WA, USA
Re: Star Ship Polaris

If Polaris had been built as a warship, they probably would have, but you make do with what you have when the chips are down.
Vektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2011, 03:54 AM   #659
Mysterion
Rear Admiral
 
Mysterion's Avatar
 
Location: SB-31, Daran V
Re: Star Ship Polaris

JES wrote: View Post
What are they supposed to be, small thermonuclear warheads? I'm no engineer, but I'd imagine that if they get hit while in their silos, that wouldn't be a good thing.
Even present day nuclear warheads are designed in such a way that a "one-point detonation" is pretty-much impossible (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swan_(n...One-point_Safe ) (and) by whatever time-period Polaris takes place, there are probably even better safety measures in place). You would possibly destroy the weapon, but you would not get a full-yield from the wepoan's warhead. Getting a full nuclear yield from a warhead requires a precise set of events to occur in a precise sequence. Most likely, you could hit the conventional explosive component of the warhead and cause the nuclear pit to shatter, spreading plutonium (or whatver fissile material they use in the 24th and a half century) all over the place.

Now, you might still have to go out and decon the hull of your starship. but you'd still have a hull to decon.
__________________
USS Galileo Galilei, NCC-8888
Prima Inter Pares

Last edited by Mysterion; October 29 2011 at 04:30 AM.
Mysterion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2011, 04:44 AM   #660
sojourner
Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: Star Ship Polaris

^If it stood up to the blast from all the conventional explosives in the warheads. Remember, if one goes off, all of the others are going to cookoff as well. That would still be a pretty big yield even without it going nuclear.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.