Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old October 27 2011, 03:46 PM   #31
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: NaNoWriMo 2011

TheBoo wrote: View Post
Know what? I want to give it a shot this year. I think the most I have written before has been 5k words, so any tips? How should I prepare?
To prepare? No.

Just don't stop writing. Don't overthink. Don't edit as you're going (this is the hardest part for me).

The goal is not to write a perfect novel. The goal is just to write and write and write. It does help, though, to set up goals for word count so you don't get behind.
Old October 27 2011, 07:44 PM   #32
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Know what? I want to give it a shot this year. I think the most I have written before has been 5k words, so any tips? How should I prepare?

I suggest downloading the NaNoWriMo Report Card. It's a great spreadsheet tool that greatly helped me last year. You input the amount of words you've done each day and it will calculate how many more words you've got to go and words per-day. Typically, it would tell me I'm good when I'd hit 1700 words each day. It will then either tell you if you're ahead or behind the curve, which I used to plan my focus appropriately. Using this tool, I panicked a lot less as I was able to figure out the pace I needed. With the help of this tool, I was able to hit the 50k mark with 5 days left to spare, and when I knew I was going to make it near the end, I relaxed a little. In short, it will track your progress. I can't recommend this enough.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/forum_comments/4583
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2011, 11:56 PM   #33
Danoz
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
To prepare? No.

Just don't stop writing. Don't overthink. Don't edit as you're going (this is the hardest part for me).

The goal is not to write a perfect novel. The goal is just to write and write and write. It does help, though, to set up goals for word count so you don't get behind.
I personally have a story outline, some character sketches, and a goal to type 2000 words a day. You don't want to get bogged down, but no way I can do 50k without some kind of plan--- still, lots of people do it!

From the website:
Outlines and plot notes are very much encouraged, and can be started months ahead of the actual novel-writing adventure. Previously written prose, though, is punishable by death.

If you want to lightly prepare for fun, come up with a character--- and then start taking personality quizzes from that character's perspective! (That's always fun... I have a Miers Briggs for 3 characters now haha).

Also D.C. area probably has an awesome community with a lot of write-ins and meetups. Worth checking out!!
Danoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2011, 12:00 AM   #34
Maestro
Vice Admiral

Count Zero wrote: View Post
Maestro wrote: View Post
I tried to reimagine Enterprise, but not really. It was sort of a collision of Star Trek, Enterprise, and BSG. I was pleased with it. Vulcanians, androids, jump drives, it was pretty cool.
Sounds interesting. Can it be read somewhere?
It might be interesting in concept, but like many NaNo novels, I suspect it's awful.

I've not posted it. I might.
Old October 28 2011, 12:04 AM   #35
RoJoHen
Awesome

Danoz wrote: View Post
To prepare? No.

I personally have a story outline, some character sketches, and a goal to type 2000 words a day. You don't want to get bogged down, but no way I can do 50k without some kind of plan--- still, lots of people do it!

From the website:
Outlines and plot notes are very much encouraged, and can be started months ahead of the actual novel-writing adventure. Previously written prose, though, is punishable by death.
Yeah, some planning is definitely not going to hurt you. I've got many of my characters already figured out in my head, and I have a rough mental outline of some random parts of my story, but beyond that I have nothing.

I did spend the last part of my work day making my own little NaNo Report Card to track my progress, though. To get to 50,000 words, you need to write 1,667 words per day. It just makes it a lot easier in the long run to bump that up to 2,000, just incase you miss a day or start to fall behind.
Old October 28 2011, 12:14 AM   #36
Danoz
Rear Admiral

Count Zero wrote: View Post
I tried to reimagine Enterprise, but not really. It was sort of a collision of Star Trek, Enterprise, and BSG. I was pleased with it. Vulcanians, androids, jump drives, it was pretty cool.
Sounds interesting. Can it be read somewhere?
It might be interesting in concept, but like many NaNo novels, I suspect it's awful.

I've not posted it. I might.
I see it as more of a personal challenge. For me, it's to get down on paper a first draft of a story concept I've had for a long time. The entire idea behind NanoWriMo is that so many people get so caught up into whether something is "good" that they put off writing it or plan themselves into never writing it. This gives you an intense deadline with loads of encouragement and community to boot! This is my second year... I came in short last year

This year it's mine!! NOVEMBER IS A GOOD MONTH TO DIE
Old October 28 2011, 06:00 PM   #37
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

I am wide awake and my wheels are spinning. I wish I could start writing now!
Assuming you have the basic story idea, characters, settings, and such in place, what's stopping you from doing a prequel now? Maybe a related short story with some of the characters before the events of your main story?

I'm debating doing nano this year. Something always comes up whenever I do this, and this year's isn't looking so hot - three-day convention, book signings, Thanksgiving and Black Friday, book club, convention planning meetings - but maybe if I double up a few days, I could make it this time.

The problem is narrowing down which story to write ... I have two main story ideas, and combining them won't work.

Good luck everyone who is participating!
Old October 28 2011, 07:45 PM   #38
sojourner
Admiral

^Work on both ideas and alternate days. It might help the creativity.
Old October 28 2011, 08:02 PM   #39
Vulcan Princess
Rear Admiral

View Vulcan Princess's Twitter Profile

I'm going to do NaNoWriMo this year. I've tried twice before and I haven't finished yet. Third time's a charm! (Last year, I foolishly tried and had to abandon the project in order to do a rewrite on my thesis.)

My challenge is that I like to edit as I write; I'll have to remember quantity over quality.
Old October 28 2011, 08:15 PM   #40
RoJoHen
Awesome

Vulcan Pumpkin wrote: View Post
My challenge is that I like to edit as I write; I'll have to remember quantity over quality.
Exactly. November is for writing. You can edit in December!
Old October 28 2011, 08:27 PM   #41
Robert Maxwell
beep

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

When I did my JulNoWriMo, I spent about a month writing notes on story and character, making sure I had enough material for a solid novel and that I knew where I was going with it. That bit of preparation enabled me to hit my daily goals easily, because I never got stuck or had to think too hard about what was next. I was able to just focus on writing the chapter in front of me, as I already had the basics worked out on paper.

If nothing else, planning can help you avoid an unexpected block halfway through!
Old October 29 2011, 06:08 AM   #42
Danoz
Rear Admiral

Voice of God wrote: View Post
When I did my JulNoWriMo, I spent about a month writing notes on story and character, making sure I had enough material for a solid novel and that I knew where I was going with it. That bit of preparation enabled me to hit my daily goals easily, because I never got stuck or had to think too hard about what was next. I was able to just focus on writing the chapter in front of me, as I already had the basics worked out on paper.

If nothing else, planning can help you avoid an unexpected block halfway through!
That's what I've done! At the moment, I really just want to start writing now!
Old October 31 2011, 02:05 AM   #43
Danoz
Rear Admiral

Countdown to midnight!!!!
Old October 31 2011, 03:59 AM   #44
RoJoHen
Awesome

Oh, I forgot you were in Japan. I still have a whole day to go!
Old October 31 2011, 04:08 PM   #45
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

Hmm... I should start to think about this if I am going to start. Probably something sort of auto-biographical would be a good place to start. Y'know, 'write what you know'.

Which means I am looking at writing something in the vein of 50/50 (the movie).
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote