RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,932
Posts: 5,389,908
Members: 24,720
Currently online: 426
Newest member: MrSpock

TrekToday headlines

New Trek-themed Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Aug 21

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 25 2011, 05:06 PM   #406
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral
 
Samurai8472's Avatar
 
Re: "James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

Even with QOS's running time of about 1 hour and 47 minutes it didn't feel short.

Everything had a purpose. There was no unnecessary scene.
__________________
"Inception" is a layer cake.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2011, 05:24 PM   #407
Saul
Rear Admiral
 
Saul's Avatar
 
Location: 東京
Re: "James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

QOS was too short, when they got to the big action ending I was wondering "is this the big ending?". A bit anticlimatic. Shit just started to blow up and then the end.
__________________
"It's not that you can see the strings, it's that 40 years later you're still looking at them." - Steven Moffat
"This movie was big. Imagine how big it could have been with me in it?" William Shatner
Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2011, 09:47 PM   #408
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Paddling...
Re: "James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Even with QOS's running time of about 1 hour and 47 minutes it didn't feel short.

Everything had a purpose. There was no unnecessary scene.
True, and after CR I liked that it was pacier. Still would have liked to see what the film might have been if they'd been able to work the script over a couple more times.

The end of QoS is at least as action packed as CR's, and there'd been more action in the 15 minutes that preceeded it than in the hour that preceeded the Venice bits of CR (not that action is everything!)
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Guardians of the Galaxy review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2011, 02:46 AM   #409
Aldo
Admiral
 
Aldo's Avatar
 
Location: Somewhere Out there beneath the pale moonlight.
Re: "James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

I was waiting till someone over here would pick up the "scaled back action" story."

Personally I find it a bit of nonsense. Not that I don't believe there is no truth to it, but that I don't believe Mendes is really going to rock the boat too much with his entry. EON knows people (I'm not mainstream folks here, not the hardcore fans who are guaranteed at least two or three tickets) have certain expectations when it comes to Bond.

What I think the story means, is that Mendes is probably scaling the action back a bit, but we're still going to get something along the lines of Casino Royale.
__________________
Don't believe everything I say.
Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2011, 03:23 AM   #410
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: "James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Alidar Warlock wrote: View Post
If they replace the action scenes with actual spying, I'd be OK with it. Some of the old Bond movies had a bit of a slower pace. I think From Russia with Love should be the ideal balance. But that still has a couple of cool action scenes (the Gypsy fight and the Train scene). I'm sure those won't go out the window.

That is, assuming there's any truth to these statements at all.
Agreed. I could accept them scaling back the action scenes in reasonable measure. Sometimes I think they can carried away and go too far. On second viewing Quantum Of Solace wasn't bad, but some of the action went too far.
Well, I think the problem with the movie was lack of many scenes besides the action scenes (there were a couple of cool ones in South America, but that's about it).

Recently watched Dr. No and there's a lot of good stuff in it although some of the action now seems rather dated. But From Russia With Love and Casino Royale each have a nice balance and I wouldn't mind seeing more of that.
I thought Casino Royale had a good balance. One of my favorite parts was where Bond was essentially stalking his target (I can't think of a better word, the part with airline flights and a trip to Florida, iirc). It was slick and fast-paced, but it involved some decently clever thinking, which worked. The theater scene in QoS was similar, but much flashier.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2011, 03:29 AM   #411
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral
 
Samurai8472's Avatar
 
Re: "James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

Stalkers wrote: View Post
Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Even with QOS's running time of about 1 hour and 47 minutes it didn't feel short.

Everything had a purpose. There was no unnecessary scene.
True, and after CR I liked that it was pacier. Still would have liked to see what the film might have been if they'd been able to work the script over a couple more times.

The end of QoS is at least as action packed as CR's, and there'd been more action in the 15 minutes that preceeded it than in the hour that preceeded the Venice bits of CR (not that action is everything!)
Casino Royale

I found the ending battle in the venice house much more compelling.

Quantum of Solace

Bond storming a hotel in the middle of the desert fell flat for me.
__________________
"Inception" is a layer cake.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2011, 07:23 AM   #412
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gotham
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: "James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

I think both films so far have done a good job of balancing the action scenes with the psychological character study aspect of Bond the Craig films seem to have been going for. It would be interesting to see a Bond film with little action, although I doubt very much that will happen in 23 or "Skyfall" or whatever they end up calling it.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2011, 08:51 AM   #413
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Paddling...
Re: "James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Stalkers wrote: View Post
Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Even with QOS's running time of about 1 hour and 47 minutes it didn't feel short.

Everything had a purpose. There was no unnecessary scene.
True, and after CR I liked that it was pacier. Still would have liked to see what the film might have been if they'd been able to work the script over a couple more times.

The end of QoS is at least as action packed as CR's, and there'd been more action in the 15 minutes that preceeded it than in the hour that preceeded the Venice bits of CR (not that action is everything!)
Casino Royale

I found the ending battle in the venice house much more compelling.

Quantum of Solace

Bond storming a hotel in the middle of the desert fell flat for me.
But it was an exploding hotel!!

Alidar Warlock wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
Alidar Warlock wrote: View Post
If they replace the action scenes with actual spying, I'd be OK with it. Some of the old Bond movies had a bit of a slower pace. I think From Russia with Love should be the ideal balance. But that still has a couple of cool action scenes (the Gypsy fight and the Train scene). I'm sure those won't go out the window.

That is, assuming there's any truth to these statements at all.
Agreed. I could accept them scaling back the action scenes in reasonable measure. Sometimes I think they can carried away and go too far. On second viewing Quantum Of Solace wasn't bad, but some of the action went too far.
Well, I think the problem with the movie was lack of many scenes besides the action scenes (there were a couple of cool ones in South America, but that's about it).

Recently watched Dr. No and there's a lot of good stuff in it although some of the action now seems rather dated. But From Russia With Love and Casino Royale each have a nice balance and I wouldn't mind seeing more of that.
I thought Casino Royale had a good balance. One of my favorite parts was where Bond was essentially stalking his target (I can't think of a better word, the part with airline flights and a trip to Florida, iirc). It was slick and fast-paced, but it involved some decently clever thinking, which worked. The theater scene in QoS was similar, but much flashier.
Yeah it is good, although 007 is so obvious at times he might as well have been wearing a raincoat and peering over a copy of the Times! The only thing that lets the scene down is the whole Elipse nonsense which is all a bit too convinient (much like Bond going to the country club and handily finding CCTV footage of Dimitios sending a text). I like the Austrian bits of QoS, Bond doing what he does best, provoking and confronting
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Guardians of the Galaxy review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2011, 11:20 AM   #414
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: "James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

LOL. "Less" action only means that it will be on the level of, I dunno, The Living Daylights or GoldenEye. The amount and intensity of action scenes in James Bond movies has increased exponentially.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2011, 01:25 AM   #415
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral
 
Rush Limborg's Avatar
 
Location: The EIB Network
Re: "James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

QoS, I remember as being the most fast-paced film I'd ever seen at that point (now, that honor goes to X-Men Origins: Wolverine).

It was so fast that, come the end credits, I blinked, staring at the screen, and went, "That's it? It's done? I'd have thought another hour..."

Check my watch--"DANG! That went by quick!"
__________________
"I have been wounded but not yet slain. I shall lie here and bleed awhile. Then I shall rise and fight again."

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2011, 04:40 PM   #416
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral
 
JacksonArcher's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: "James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

I remember watching Quantum of Solace in the theater, back in the fall of 2008, and I distinctly remember pinching myself, thinking, "I can't believe I'm watching another James Bond film in the theater- the last one only came out two years ago..." and then of course, ninety minutes later, the movie was over.

The wait for the next James Bond movie has been pretty lengthy, and had I known it would be some time before the next one (four years), I would have treasured watching Quantum of Solace in theaters more. However, I did manage to catch it two times in theaters (each time in a different state, I might add) so it's not that bad.

I just know I'm pretty excited to watch another James Bond movie in the theater again.
__________________
"Please... We need you to hope again... " - Professor Charles Xavier, X-Men: Days of Future Past
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2011, 04:52 PM   #417
Technobuilder
Commodore
 
Technobuilder's Avatar
 
Location: Nashville, TN
Re: "James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

You know, it's odd. I've always enjoyed the James Bond franchise, but I wouldn't call myself a fan.

Still haven't seen Quantum of Solace but I did enjoy Casino Royale.

Will Dame Judi Dench be returning as "M"?
__________________
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"

Last edited by Technobuilder; October 27 2011 at 09:41 PM.
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2011, 04:58 PM   #418
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral
 
JacksonArcher's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: "James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

Technobuilder wrote: View Post
Will Dame Judi Dench be returning a "M"?
Yes.
__________________
"Please... We need you to hope again... " - Professor Charles Xavier, X-Men: Days of Future Past
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2011, 04:06 AM   #419
StarTrekGT
Cadet
 
Re: "James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

Enough will all this shrouded in secrecy stuff....just make the damn film already!
StarTrekGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2011, 01:32 PM   #420
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral
 
JacksonArcher's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: "James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

According to ComingSoon's official Twitter page, the Bond 23 press conference announcing the commencement of principal photography will take place next Thursday in London. The cast and crew should be in attendance. Hopefully we'll get confirmation on some things, like the title, etc.
__________________
"Please... We need you to hope again... " - Professor Charles Xavier, X-Men: Days of Future Past
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
007, james bond

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.