TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 22 2011, 08:50 PM   #211
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Re: Buffy season nine discussion thread

Video interview with A&F writer Christos Gage and artist Rebekah Isaacs
http://buffyfest.blogspot.com/2011/1...gel-faith.html

First IDW and now Dark Horse are doing it. It makes me laugh when they bring in these writers and artists and they all make out they're huge fans. Then when you read and watch interviews like this you realise that's a bit of an exaggeration.

Christos Gage is asked to name some favourite moments from Angel. Not his favourite episode, mind you. Or even his favourite season. No, all he has to do is think of a moment or a scene in an episode that stood out in his mind... and he literally can't think of any. In fact both of them have to mention things from Buffy to shut the interviewers up.
Yeah, huge fans of Angel.

I mentioned IDW, as after Brian Lynch they brought in Kelly Armstrong and then Bill Willingham, both of who claimed they were fans of the show. Yet from anyone who's read their arcs, it seemed clear neither had seen more than three minutes of Angel ever.
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2011, 09:27 PM   #212
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

That's funny. I'm not the biggest Angel fan in the world but off the top of my head I can think of several moments that I really enjoyed from that show. Including Angel and Connor singing Jasmine to the tune of Mandy. Lorne killing Lindsey. Angel going batshit when he realizes he won't be able to save Darla's life. And that's just scratching the surface for what's memorable on that show.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2011, 09:56 PM   #213
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

best angel moment was were angel was turned into a pupet and gets used as a toy by werewolf nina.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2011, 10:00 PM   #214
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Just goes to show you don't have to be a huge fan or a fan at all... sometimes to still understand how to write the characters. It would appear that the creative team was chosen based on their talent rather than any knowledge of the series or characters which is a fresh way to pick a team. I've enjoyed Angel and Faith a lot more than I have Buffy Season Nine so far.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2011, 10:28 PM   #215
Ethros
Vice Admiral

He also says that watching them in a rush all the seasons blur together. Mmm... I kinda know what he means, having done that for some shows via DVD.

Maybe if you did that to standalone centric shows like The X-Files, or TNG, the Simpsons, etc, I could see how it would be hard to think of an episode and try and remember what exact season it was from.

However I always felt that was a cool thing with Buffy & Angel, that each season always had a distinctive feel. Helped by the cast changes a lot, but also by the Big Bads, esp with Buffy.
eg. when I think of Buffy Season 3 I think of the Mayor & Faith, Season 5- Glory, Season 4- Adam, etc.

Angel is fairly easy too, seasons 1 & 5 are so different in look to the others, Season 4 was very arc heavy with the Beast/Jasmine/Faith stuff, I guess s2 & 3 could blur a bit with all the Wolfram & Hart stuff, but even that... Lindsey & Darla- season 2, Holtz & Connor- season 3
Old October 23 2011, 02:26 PM   #216
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Ethros wrote: View Post
Video interview with A&F writer Christos Gage and artist Rebekah Isaacs
http://buffyfest.blogspot.com/2011/1...gel-faith.html

First IDW and now Dark Horse are doing it. It makes me laugh when they bring in these writers and artists and they all make out they're huge fans. Then when you read and watch interviews like this you realise that's a bit of an exaggeration.

Christos Gage is asked to name some favourite moments from Angel. Not his favourite episode, mind you. Or even his favourite season. No, all he has to do is think of a moment or a scene in an episode that stood out in his mind... and he literally can't think of any. In fact both of them have to mention things from Buffy to shut the interviewers up.
Yeah, huge fans of Angel.

I mentioned IDW, as after Brian Lynch they brought in Kelly Armstrong and then Bill Willingham, both of who claimed they were fans of the show. Yet from anyone who's read their arcs, it seemed clear neither had seen more than three minutes of Angel ever.
You're being too harsh on Gage over an interview, I bet that a lot of people would be having a blank moment if you asked them an interview What is your favorite moment from [one of their favorite shows]" if they hadn't thought of it before. Fans online get to think about it and make lists, but if someone just came up to me and asked me what my favorite moment from BtVS or AtS or DS9 or BSG is, I would quite likely be like: "Just one moment? Let me think about it".

Gage says he hadn't seen AtS or BtVS when he was first asked to do the job, but that he watched all the seasons in a quick succession since, and apparently he knows the comics including the IDW stuff as well (even if the canon status of IDW comics is unclear). So far he's done a pretty good job referencing things from AtS, plus this answer he gave to me on Twitter seems to show he knows his stuff:

Christosgage Christos Gage
A: Angel fought Nazis in WWII, saved someone in the 20s, John Byrne drew him in World War I...he did good stuff before Buffy.
29 Sep
In that reply he referenced Orpheus, Why We Fight and an IDW comic I didn't even know about since I haven't read most of their stuff. He seems to know AtS pretty well, whether he can name his favorite moments or not. (Though I found it disturbing to learn that he's us trying to emulate The Girl In Question in #5. )

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2011, 12:16 AM   #217
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Angel and Faith #3. Simply awesome. I don't have enough words to express how much joy this book brings me. I love the banter and dynamic between Faith and Angel. They really have become friends with one another. I think that Faith sees Angel as a mentor. There were tons of great quotes in this issue as well. Pearl and Nash the psycho twins are back as well.

Old October 27 2011, 11:22 AM   #218
ReadyAndWilling
Fleet Captain

wait, is buffy season 9 a comic or a book?

An obsessive Science-Fiction Geek at heart with a touch of Muscle Nerd on top.
ReadyAndWilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2011, 01:10 PM   #219
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Sorry, but

There are only 8 pages of discussion on it in this thread.
It's a comic, dear
Old October 27 2011, 05:09 PM   #220
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

ReadyAndWilling wrote: View Post
it's a comic book. all so @ admiral young I agree angel & faith has been better than buffy the vampire slayer. do you think angel and faith will become friends with benifits?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2011, 05:11 PM   #221
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ As we've already covered in the thread...no. There have been interviews in the thread explaining what Angel and Faith's dynamic is timothy.

Old October 28 2011, 04:07 AM   #222
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

timothy wrote: View Post
ReadyAndWilling wrote: View Post
it's a comic book. all so @ admiral young I agree angel & faith has been better than buffy the vampire slayer. do you think angel and faith will become friends with benifits?

And I disagree. Even though I have some problems with #1 and though #2 is a bit too straightforward in its dialogue, Buffy season 9 has been a lot more interesting and layered. I can think of several scenes and panels that really make you think and try to analyze what's been said, try to figure out the underlying feelings and motivations. Even with all the narrations by Buffy, there is still some mystery about how Buffy feels about herself and the people in her life; and that's even more so the case with the other characters; we may know that Willow thinks that breaking the Seed was bad, while Spike thinks it was the right thing to do and he's there to help Buffy, but beyond that, we're left to speculate on how Willow, Spike, Xander or Dawn feel and how their future will shape up. The new characters and potential villains have all been ambiguous. How did the new vampire-killer get his powers, and is he really such a great guy, or is there something ominous about him? What's the deal with the demon released from the mystical prison, and does he want to kill Buffy, to thank her, or something else? Are the cops going to be Buffy's enemies or allies? And so on.

Whereas in Angel & Faith, everything is laid out openly in the dialogue: it's very straightforward and plot-driven and leaves very little unexplained. The villains are all one-dimensional, obvious bad guys (with the exception of Whistler; I hope we'll see more of him, he was one of the reasons why #1 was interesting). Angel's characterization is fine, but Faith's is a bit off, and her idealization and justifications of Angel are getting annoying (and she went especially far in this issue, with her "there will be no more apocalypses thanks to you and Buffy" statement, which makes about as much sense as "I signaled her with my eyes"). We're constantly being told (by Faith) that Angel is the best thing since sliced bread, instead of actually seeing it. I liked issue 1 the best, but I feel that the subsequent issues have not been as good.

The one area where Angel & Faith is clearly superior over Buffy is the art. Issacs > Jeanty. One of my LJ friends just said that Isaacs does a great characterization of Faith; Gage, not so much. And I agree with that.

The best things in Angel & Faith so far have been the revelations about the new post-Seed world - the auctions of Mohra blood, the fact that the remaining magical artefacts and people with inherent magical abilities have become very sought-after, the new high status of vampires in the demon world, their mainstream acceptance and sexual allure to the humans... And the revelation about Whistler's role. Like I said, I want to find out more about him and his connection to Twilight, and what was the role of the PTB in it all.

edit: However, I have to say one thing: if the villains are one-dimensional, at least our heroes are morally ambiguous - and both doing stupid things! While Angel is preparing to resurrect Giles, Faith seems to be preparing to use the Mohra blood to make Angel human; in order words, she wants to do something similar to Angel that he did to Buffy in season 8 and that he's preparing to do to Giles now: make a crucial decision about him without asking him about it, and violate his bodily integrity and make him into something different than what he is, assuming that she knows what's best for him and that he'd be happy and grateful once she managed to do it - even though there is a huge possibility and some clear signs that he would actually hate it.

And is she thinks that Angel's biggest problem is that he's a vampire and that all his problems would go away if he just became human... then she really doesn't understand him. He should explain to her, as he did to Buffy in Amends, that the real problem isn't the vampire, it's the man. Twilight got to him using his human flaws, and a human Angel would still feel the same guilt, he would just find it more difficult to fight if he didn't have vampire powers, which he pretty much tells her in this issue as well.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch

Last edited by DevilEyes; October 28 2011 at 04:18 AM.
Old October 28 2011, 04:27 AM   #223
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

That's the thing though about Faith's thinking about Angel...she doesn't understand him the way Buffy does. Faith can't. She has a very different relationship with Angel than Buffy did, and Angel hasn't exactly been open with her. Remember that everyone has shunned Angel and Faith was the only one to see him through his catatonic state and now working with him. Like I said I think she has a very naive and idealistic view of Angel. This is what makes their dynamic so interesting.

Old October 28 2011, 04:52 AM   #224
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

Oooh, I've just read a great remark by a poster on BF who was replying to another poster's idea that there would be nothing wrong with keeping the Mohra demon in captivity and draining its blood to cure people. It hadn't occurred to me, but this makes humans a bit like vampires, doesn't it? Draining the blood of another sapient being, against its will, to fulfill their own needs?

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
Old October 28 2011, 04:56 AM   #225
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Indeed it would.