Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 24 2011, 04:33 PM   #31
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: 'Paranormal Activity 3' Gets 2011 Release Date!

^^^
That thought did cross my mind but what are the odds that the biological dad would ALSO be into the 'recording fad'. Setting up 8mm or 16mm film about the house just starts to make it all seem contrived. Even then the girls would likely be infants or toddlers who would the action center on then Julie? Lois babysitting when the coven drops by?
Any further back pre-70s and there just isn't a commercially viable recording system to continue with the saga's gimmick.

As for moving forward I can't see how you don't bring in a third party investigating the deaths that occurred in pt.2. With our media savvy culture that follows missing baby cases of the bizarre this could work easily and in a believable manner, imo.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2011, 04:36 PM   #32
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Yep. I have had fan fic ideas for both police involvement and media coverage for a fourth one. Originally it was for Paranormal Activity 3 continuing the story from two but I've kind of since pushed it to a fourth movie. The involvement of "outsiders" would bring an epic feel to the franchise that I don't know is right for it if that make sense. It will be interesting to see what happens next.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2011, 10:46 PM   #33
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

^^ I can see it working.... Kind of like one of the ideas proposed for Cloverfield 2?... A mix of mini-cams from soldiers' helmets, police dash-cam video and news footage...

Dash-cam video is getting better and better these days, so it would be believable to see more high-def footage rather than the "World's Most Dangerous Police Chase" crap from a few years ago.

Just as long as they don't try to make an actual "movie" out of it, ala Blair Witch 2...
Old October 24 2011, 10:50 PM   #34
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ They've promised that they will avoid the mistakes that Blair Witch 2 made...this was made before 2 came out and I think they've adhered to it. I think the secret to their success is that they continue to shoot with a low budget and keep it relatively self contained. It will be difficult and tempting I think if they wrap up the Demon Katie arc to go beyond this simple formula and make it epic but I could see it happening.

Old October 25 2011, 12:23 AM   #35
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I was talking to a friend today and my thought is I really don't see anything past a PA4 with this family? What with Katie being the last 'known' surving member.
I really would have zero interest in a PA5 where the demon just jumps to a new family. IMO, the 'filming' schtick is tied to this family and it strains what credibility the concept has to offer beyond that.
Old October 25 2011, 04:46 AM   #36
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Same. A lot of hardcore fans feel that way it seems. At least ones I want to...but as long as these movies continue make money Oren Peli and company will bust out a new story. The fans are a huge part of the success of these films and if they don't want to piss us off I think they'll resolve this original story.

Old October 26 2011, 10:21 PM   #37
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I found this link over at BOM and the link FULLY lays out the plot points in ALL 3 films to date. I've only seen each movie once so I enjoyed the summary and there were little moments I had forgotten that are important, or potentially important. There clearly are some discrepancies but nothing so severe that it couldn't be waiting for sequels to fill in the gaps or clarify the discrepancies.

It even mentions 2 things I missed in PA3 and I can now see how if handled correctly there could at least be a PA4 and PA5.

SPOILERS at that link. If you haven't seen the films then DON'T read the link.
Old October 26 2011, 10:24 PM   #38
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Very nice find Captain Craig. Will have to read this when I come back home later tonight. I do feel like 4 should wrap up the original arc before moving on to anything else.

Old October 26 2011, 10:27 PM   #39
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Curious on your thoughts once you read it Admiral.
I to was of the opinion a 4th should wrap it up but after reading all the points in the link can see where at least two more films could work.
Old October 27 2011, 05:13 PM   #40
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Spoilers...

Well I just saw it today. Yeah, I've just gone back and watched that full trailer near the start of this thread. Ha, pretty much all of it isn't in the film!
I wonder if they were just filmed to lure us in, or are gonna be deleted scenes on the DVD, or on an Extended/directors cut thing

As for the movie, yeah, loved it. I can't believe no one has mentioned it yet here...

The Oscillating Fan!!!

curse that thing. I could barely watch every time it would pan round

Anyone else feel the ending was a little too close to last year's The Last Exorcism too? What with the twist of the devil worshippers, standing round a bonfire, etc

I'd also give the two girls kudos for some great performances, especially the little one.

Oh and I liked the two guys talking about what the 'upcoming' Back to the Future sequel should be called
"Back to the Present"
"No, Back to the Past"

And one more thing, that babysitter was hotttt. Especially in her 80s getup.

Roll on part 4
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2011, 05:20 PM   #41
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

The ending and origin of the entity was interesting. I don't know if it resembled anything from a previous movie though...especially not having seen the film that Ethros mentioned. I kind of called it just not exactly as it was portrayed. I agree, we haven't touched no the girls performances. They were terrific. The little girl is Katie I believe, she's the younger of the two sisters as was established in the second movie. At least I think so.

Old October 27 2011, 05:33 PM   #42
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Kristy is the younger one, Katie the older

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I found this link over at BOM and the link FULLY lays out the plot points in ALL 3 films to date.
Just wanna say that's GREAT article. As I too haven't seen PA1 or PA2 since they came out in cinemas, that was a great read.
Obviously I can't say if the filmmakers are thinking the same thing, but from that it would likley a sequel could take place in 1992

And I'd forgotten about the lines of the demon wanting the first born son after its deal and so on. So in a way you could say there isn't need to follow up on what happens after the end of PA2, as the demon has what it wants now. But still I wouldn't mind seeing Ali or someone going to rescue baby Hunter, proton packs loaded
Old October 27 2011, 05:35 PM   #43
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I know I screwed up their ages...thanks for the correction.

Old October 27 2011, 05:44 PM   #44
Ethros
Vice Admiral

I went to see this on my own this afternoon (my cinema is always dead on an afternoon so there's usually just me and like 3 other people in there when I do it) to guarantee I'd see it.

But I now need to convince my ladyfriend to come see it too. She saw the first one when it came out and scared her half to death. She actually bought the second one on DVD when it was in the bargain bin, but won't dare watch it. Ha. I need to get her to watch that and then get her to come see the new one too... it's gonna be tough
Old October 27 2011, 06:43 PM   #45
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

The first movie is the only movie that genuinely scared me. There have been scary moments in the following two but nothing to match the first film. I think they need to stop just having freak out moments and go back to capturing that moody freaky atmosphere.