RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,413
Members: 24,631
Currently online: 422
Newest member: vicky013

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old October 25 2011, 12:59 PM   #1
Jax
Admiral

GTA V Announced

Rockstar confirms GTA V (like we didn't know) and that the first trailer will be released next week though I wonder if this means hoilday release 2012 because I always expected an Easter release 2013.

What do you want to see in GTA 5? Personally I want better car controls and multiplayer to be expanded with more co-op modes though I did like the more realistic feel to GTA 4. I also would like less pyschic cops who seem to know I commited crimes despite no witness and my exact position all the time. I also would like a non Liberty city setting with San Andreas my choice. All in all a day 1 buy for me most likely and I am not even a hardcore GTA fan, since GTA 4 was the first GTA I brought since GTA 2 though I did play Vice City.
Old October 25 2011, 01:50 PM   #2
General_Phoenix
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to General_Phoenix Send a message via AIM to General_Phoenix Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to General_Phoenix Send a message via Yahoo to General_Phoenix
Re: GTA V Announced

That's good news, I'm a big GTA fan - kind of curious what direction this one is going to take, GTA 4 really upped the graphics, and car handling but didn't have a lot of the things that made San Andreas fun, personally I loved how huge San Andreas was. Vice City is still the classic of the series though. Plus I'm ready for a new city to explore, I've been in Liberty City for awhile now with GTA 4, Lost and the Damned, Ballad of Gay Tony, and Chinatown Wars.
Old October 25 2011, 03:10 PM   #3
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

I still haven't finished "The Ballad of Gay Tony." I can't get past the section where you have to steal the helicopter and destroy the yacht. My flying sucks too much to be able to take down the yacht.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2011, 03:26 PM   #4
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I've been a fan of GTA since I played the first game when I was 12, and GTA3 was a revolution in the way that I thought about games, so this will be a day 1 purchase for me.

I love all the games in the series, but I wasn't a fan of the crazier elements they introduced in San Andreas (jet-packs, stealing military jets for a super-secret government agency), and while I was glad that they took a more serious tone in GTA4, there's no denying that it was missing some gameplay elements and the later missions got kinda repetitive. So if they keep the serious tone while adding in some of the missing features, such as car customisation and a wider variety of weapons, I'll be very happy.

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
I still haven't finished "The Ballad of Gay Tony." I can't get past the section where you have to steal the helicopter and destroy the yacht. My flying sucks too much to be able to take down the yacht.
I remember trying to 100% that mission, which meant I had to chase and destroy the three boats without taking any damage. That was a pain.
Old October 25 2011, 05:14 PM   #5
Mr Light
Admiral

I want a difficulty setting. The games are too hard for me I loved the setting and background of GTA4 but I couldn't get past the damn missions!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2011, 08:54 PM   #6
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

What if they were to return to London, except modern-day this time? GTA: London 1969 was the expansion pack to the original GTA. It would be nice to have a change of scenery. It doesn't even have to be London. Maybe a city similar to New York or some other european city such as Rome.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2011, 08:58 PM   #7
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
Yeah, the copters' weapons aren't easy to aim. But at least the yacht is large and stationary. After you destroy the yacht, you have to take out the little boats that are fleeing the scene. Trying to hit them with your guns is such a pain. I really hope GTAV makes it easier to aim helicopter weapons.
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2011, 09:12 PM   #8
Lonemagpie
Writer

GTA IV is the only one I've played, and loved it, so more of the same would be nice - but with better chopper controls.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2011, 10:14 PM   #9
General_Phoenix
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to General_Phoenix Send a message via AIM to General_Phoenix Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to General_Phoenix Send a message via Yahoo to General_Phoenix

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I want a difficulty setting. The games are too hard for me I loved the setting and background of GTA4 but I couldn't get past the damn missions!
Personally I think they've been getting easier ever since GTA 3, which I think is the hardest of the series. Going back to GTA 3 is hard because of all the advancements they made in Vice City, and San Andreas that made missions easier. One thing that irritated me about GTA 4 was the missions were more linear, in GTA III, Vice City, and San Andreas you could get inventive and finish a mission - couldn't really do that a whole lot in GTA 4. I don't think I ever played a mission the same way twice in Vice City or San Andreas.
Old October 26 2011, 12:29 AM   #10
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

General_Phoenix wrote: View Post
Personally I think they've been getting easier ever since GTA 3, which I think is the hardest of the series. Going back to GTA 3 is hard because of all the advancements they made in Vice City, and San Andreas that made missions easier. One thing that irritated me about GTA 4 was the missions were more linear, in GTA III, Vice City, and San Andreas you could get inventive and finish a mission - couldn't really do that a whole lot in GTA 4. I don't think I ever played a mission the same way twice in Vice City or San Andreas.
That's true, one of the strengths of GTA3 was the ability to attempt different strategies when replaying missions, but the series has been moving away from that and has made use of triggered events rather than random ones. There are several missions in GTA4 where you have to chase a car and you can't shoot or ram it off the road, and if you even get close to it the car will accelerate at impossible speeds to stay ahead of you. That detracts from the feeling that anything can happen while playing, and it prevents the sort of unique events that made playing GTA3 so memorable.
Old October 26 2011, 12:45 AM   #11
Smellincoffee
Commodore

View Smellincoffee's Twitter Profile

What do I want? No Rockstar Social Club/Steam/online activation. There's a reason I still haven't gotten around to buying GTAIV and the Lost and the Damned, even though I WANT to play with the bikers.
Old October 26 2011, 04:18 AM   #12
General_Phoenix
Commander

Smellincoffee wrote: View Post
What do I want? No Rockstar Social Club/Steam/online activation. There's a reason I still haven't gotten around to buying GTAIV and the Lost and the Damned, even though I WANT to play with the bikers.
Lost and the Damned is fun, but I prefer the weapons in Ballad of Gay Tony, there are some fun weapons in that game.
Old October 26 2011, 05:11 AM   #13
Turd Ferguson
Commodore

General_Phoenix wrote: View Post
Mr Light wrote: View Post
Yeah, that was an awesome thing about GTA3. I remember the final mission, I can't remember who, but you had to chase someone into this area and kill dozens of people armed with machine guns while the bad guy escaped in a helicopter. I must have died fifty times. Suddenly, I decided I'd go to an Ammu-Nation, bought a missile launcher and waited outside of the compound and just blew up the helicopter as it took off. Easiest ending to a game ever
Old October 26 2011, 06:24 AM   #14
General_Phoenix
Commander

Yeah I liked doing those kinds of things. Like in Vice City, where you first get the cell phone (I think it is anyway..) I just simply shoot the guy, then Lance comes up and says "Way to go tough guy, beat him to a pulp.." Another mission in Vice City where you have to race Hillary, he has a Saber GT and you have a Sentinel, I parked an undercover Cheetah down near that bridge close to the police station, would ditch the Sentinel and take the Cheetah - hit the lights so traffic would pull over for me and win the race that way.
Old October 26 2011, 11:34 AM   #15
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

San Andreas introduced so much stuff that I missed in GTA IV. So GTA 4 was pretty boring imo.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote