MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate To Brave the Storm.
Outstanding 8 11.11%
Above Average 24 33.33%
Average 26 36.11%
Below Average 9 12.50%
Poor 5 6.94%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 23 2011, 09:46 PM   #16
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Re: Enterprise: The Romulan War: To Brave the Storm review thread

Still waiting for my copy to come, perhaps this week.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2011, 04:31 AM   #17
Reanok
Commodore

I finished this book I really like how it ended .I hope we could get a sequel to this book.there's alot of unanawered questions in this book i' wish we'd seen explores further how as Trip rescued near the end of the book at the battle of Cheron and reunited with T'Pol I wish we'd seen more of the other Enterprise members at the end with teh signng of the federation charter and Archer's speech i was happy that Trip&T'Pol got their happy ending at longs last.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2011, 07:42 AM   #18
ialfan
Fleet Captain

Reanok wrote: View Post
I finished this book I really like how it ended .I hope we could get a sequel to this book.there's alot of unanawered questions in this book i' wish we'd seen explores further how as Trip rescued near the end of the book at the battle of Cheron and reunited with T'Pol I wish we'd seen more of the other Enterprise members at the end with teh signng of the federation charter and Archer's speech i was happy that Trip&T'Pol got their happy ending at longs last.
Yeah that's spot on with my feeling.

ialfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2011, 07:42 AM   #19
ialfan
Fleet Captain

Reanok wrote: View Post
Yeah that's spot on with my feeling.

I almost felt like there were a few chapters missing at the end with T'Pol discovering Trip was alive, revealing how he survived and the entire crew gathering and reminiscing before the signing of the charter.

I half expected a few pages on how the process got started too and reactions to the idea of a Federation with a group of allies who abandoned Earth until the very end.
ialfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2011, 08:28 PM   #20
CaptainDonovin
Fleet Captain

On around page 145 & so far I'm liking it.
Old October 25 2011, 12:54 AM   #21
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Ordered mine last night.
Old October 25 2011, 06:41 AM   #22
ex Zane Gray
Ensign

Well, I found a copy over the weekend and just finished this afternoon. As someone who's enjoyed the Enterprise relaunch so far, I have to say that I have really mixed feelings about it. I liked it because it does, mostly competently, wrap up the war storyline. I enjoyed the various turns and twists of the war, how it all plays out. But I'm disappointed because, having read all of the interviews about the relaunch series I can find online, it's clearly half the book that Mike Martin and former editor Margaret Clark wanted it to be. I guess that was at Simon & Schuster's direction (after Clark was let go, it seems as if the planned Romulan War books went from a trio of hefty trade paperbacks to this), but it still sucks as a reader who's been waiting so long for the next (and now apparently last) installment.

Whole years pass between chapters! Beneath the Raptor's Wing covered a single year of the war in 576 mass-market pages - this one covers 6 years in just 352 pages! So many of the storylines raised in the previous books are only lightly fleshed out here, and a number of direct plot threads from Raptor's Wing are never even followed up on. For example, at the end of the last book, T'Pau asks Trip for help uncovering those who executed the terrorist bombing on Vulcan. In the new book, it's as if that scene never happened! While the last book was expansive and comprehensive, this one reads like Cliff's Notes. So we essentially get a really elaborate build-up and only a hasty conclusion. What I dislike most is that so many of the character subplots never really pay off. Yes, Trip and T'Pol get their happily ever after, but we never see their reunion after the last battle! We never see Archer and Trip reunited, or their friendship rekindled. We never see the moment when Archer and Travis mend fences. We never get to see the aftermath of the war on Archer - the long-term impact of the personal toll it takes on him. We never get to see Trip reunited with his parents and family, or any indication that they ever learn he's still alive. We never get to hear any of the speeches at the Federation charter signing. Honestly, I'm really surprised that Mike didn't offer Enterprise fans a little more of an emotional payoff at the end, because as a reader, I feel like we've earned a few more of them. But we just never get that "poker game" scene (as in the last episode of The Next Generation) or scenes like those in the Enterprise episodes Home and Terra Prime, where all the characters are finally together again and get to acknowledge the journey they've taken together and the sacrifices they've made.

I appreciated the overall plot, but I just find this book unsatisfying. To Brave the Storm isn't bad per se. There's actually a lot that's good in it. But it still feels much less than what it should have been, based on the build-up and the sheer heft of the previous book. It feels like a novel cobbled together from the best bits of a much larger planned story arc, with a lot of important material hacked out because the new editors in charge at Simon & Schuster just wanted to wash their hands of the whole thing. It's a letdown for me as a reader. It's especially disappointing because I don't think we're going to get any more Enterprise books for a long time. The fact that the editors decided to end the entire Romulan War series when it had only just begun tells me they're not interested in more Enterprise books.

Sure wish I had deep pockets. If I did, I'd cut Mike a check and ask him to please write the rest of the Romulan War books he wanted to write, as he and Margaret planned them. I sure as heck wanted to read them.
ex Zane Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2011, 07:25 AM   #23
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

^ Great review, ex Zane Grey. I'll get my copy within the next few days; I'm even more intrigued now. I enjoyed Beneath the Raptor's Wing, so I'm disappointed to hear that the conclusion might not reinforce that quality.
Old October 25 2011, 09:24 AM   #24
Newspaper Taxi
Captain

This is my most anticipated Trek book of the year. I really enjoyed the first Romulan War book in that it wasn't all centered around the dealings of one single ship and that it managed to provide a bunch of different view points in order to give a better understanding of the big picture at play. I'm not sure exactly when I'll get this book...But hopefully soon!
Old October 25 2011, 05:40 PM   #25
Reanok
Commodore

Great Review ex Zane Gray I feel there was alot of important story arcs that were cut out of the novel being the new Editors i charge.Since Mike was told he couldn't write In Shariel's jaws storylines he inted to be in the middle book. Also having to drop alot of the major storyline on Vulcan that would've paid off in a big way I wish we could've he had a chance to finish these books he and editor Magaret clark had originally intended as a longer length series of Romulan war trade paperbacks books. i really am glad we still got a novel to wrap up the Romulanwrstory .I wish he editors would reconsider their ideas about the fans still would like to see future Enterprise novels being published.Micheal wants to write more Enterpise era books.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2011, 06:27 PM   #26
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

well I got my copy today on my nook looking forward to reading it.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2011, 09:23 PM   #27
JD
Admiral

Hmm, alot of the complaints I'm hearing about this are the same kinds of complaints I've read about Seize the Fire, so I'm starting to think that's just how he writes.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2011, 10:11 PM   #28
ex Zane Gray
Ensign

Speaking of things left out of the Romulan War books for lack of it being a trilogy versus just two books, Martin just gave an interview at Star Trek.com where he lists some of the things he wanted to write in a novel set "in between" Beneath the Raptor's Wings and To Brave the Storm. I think I recall somewhere he wanted to call it In Shariel's Jaws...

http://www.startrek.com/article/mich...nd-more-part-1

Some intriguing ideas there. Such a bummer it didn't happen.
ex Zane Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2011, 02:57 AM   #29
TerraUnam
Commander

Andy Mangels said in this forum that Michael Martin is simply not a character writer. He is however a plot and politics writer.

This was a good book. The parts leading up to
were actually well-done.

I would have preferred a longer epilogue or perhaps a transfer into another book, but that would probably be tripping a few too many canon tripwires.

I like the comparisons with the First World War made in the book, which, a war which was frustrating and confusing from beginning to end. It's not a war many writers reference anymore, though it is timely as the 100th Anniversary of the Guns of August is in 2014.
Old October 26 2011, 04:39 AM   #30
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Star Trek.com has posted part one of an interview with Michael A. Martin about TBtS. Part two will be posted tomorrow.