Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old October 24 2011, 12:13 PM   #1
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile
KRAD talks S.C.E. on his podcast

I thought this might interest some people here:

In the latest edition of Dead Kitchen Radio, his podcast, Keith R.A. DeCandido talks about the S.C.E. series, i.E. the conception, the characters and the highlights of the series.

Those who haven't read the series yet should be aware that there a spoilers throughout.

Dead Kitchen Radio: Episode 8
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2011, 02:24 PM   #2
mcmac
Vice Admiral

Re: KRAD talks S.C.E. on his podcast

Thanks for sharing. I miss reading new S.C.E novels, especially now that I have a smart phone and a tablet.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." - Col. Willard D. Vandiver
mcmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2011, 03:05 AM   #3
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Hopefully Treklit will resume full time original ebook publication soon. It seems they are testing the waters again with the TP tie in.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2011, 09:46 AM   #4
Relayer1
Commodore

ryan123450 wrote: View Post
Hopefully Treklit will resume full time original ebook publication soon.
Only if they are definitely going to get a proper release too ! I am still annoyed about the Typhon Pact one.
Old October 25 2011, 09:50 PM   #5
JD
Admiral

Ebooks are a proper release. Besides, I doubt they'd put anything real major out in Ebook form only. If they do continue them, then they'll probably just be side stories, or a e-only series like SCE.
Old October 25 2011, 09:53 PM   #6
JWolf
Commodore

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Only if they are definitely going to get a proper release too ! I am still annoyed about the Typhon Pact one.
eBooks are a proper release. There is no need to also print them. There are plenty of ways to read them depending on what you have. Desktop, laptop, phone, tablet, Reader all work fine to allow you to read eBooks. What to you is not proper about eBooks?

JD wrote: View Post
Ebooks are a proper release. Besides, I doubt they'd put anything real major out in Ebook form only. If they do continue them, then they'll probably just be side stories, or a e-only series like SCE.
I hope you'll be proven wrong. I do want eBook only stories that are not just side stories. Ones that are out front and not just off to the side.
Old October 26 2011, 04:45 PM   #7
Technobuilder
Commodore

I want new SCE stories regardless of format. They were good reads. End of Line.

Of Course I want KRAD back writing Trek too.
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2011, 11:30 AM   #8
Technobuilder
Commodore

Just wanted to pass some thanks to Defcon for pointing me towards this show.

Really nice retrospective on SCE as a whole and I also found the 2-part "DS9 Roundtable" discussion with KRAD, Mack, & Chase Masterson.

I'll have certainly be checking out back episodes of the Chronic Rift Network if there's anymore news regarding Trek in general or Trek authors in particular.

Thanks again.
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Old October 28 2011, 04:38 PM   #9
ToddCam
Captain

Does anyone know why KRAD doesn't seem to do Trek anymore?
ToddCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2011, 05:04 PM   #10
Technobuilder
Commodore

I think he just had a full workload of late between comics, original fictions, podcasts, convention appearances, etc. There might be other factors, but I'd love to see him back doing what he does best in the Star Trek Universe.
Old October 29 2011, 03:46 PM   #11
JD
Admiral

Well, he did just finish the Farscape comics, so maybe now he'll be a little less busy.
Old October 29 2011, 07:22 PM   #12
Relayer1
Commodore

JWolf wrote: View Post
eBooks are a proper release. There is no need to also print them. There are plenty of ways to read them depending on what you have. Desktop, laptop, phone, tablet, Reader all work fine to allow you to read eBooks. What to you is not proper about eBooks?
I freely admit that I am old school - books are something solid that are an object of desire in themselves, to be read, collected and enjoyed. I still but CD's and DVD's / Blurays as well.

Yes, I collect things. It's something I do... I like books.
Old November 21 2011, 05:23 PM   #13
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile

Glad you guys enjoyed the podcast, and thanks for the plug, Jens!

It was tremendous fun to go back and look at SCE (I only intended the podcast to be half an hour or so, and I babbled for an hour.... ), and believe me, nothing would make me happier than to work with those characters again.....

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2011, 06:27 PM   #14
JWolf
Commodore

JWolf wrote: View Post

I freely admit that I am old school - books are something solid that are an object of desire in themselves, to be read, collected and enjoyed. I still but CD's and DVD's / Blurays as well.

Yes, I collect things. It's something I do... I like books.
In plain English, you don't like eBooks, you don't think they are proper books and you won't buy them.
Old November 21 2011, 10:56 PM   #15
Cicero
Admiral

I like ebooks - actually, I prefer both ebooks and printed books for different reasons: ebooks for their searchability and mass portability, printed books for all other purposes (permanent pages, typeface variety, ease of thumbing, my preference for physical objects over virtual, etc.) - but I'm no longer willing to buy any ebooks with DRM, with the possible exception of well-formatted PDFs.

Ultimately formatting is my greatest end-user experience problem with DRM-"protected" ebooks (protected, it seems, only against lawful customers); every one I've purchased or downloaded a sample from has significant formatting issues (PDFs aside). So have the free and otherwise unprotected books I've downloaded, in fairness, but I've been able to edit those to fix those of their issues that aren't related to the drawbacks of current ebook technology.

My second greatest complaint is that, as a Mac and iPhone user, there is no file format that displays well on both my phone and my computer (only PDFs display well on the computer, due to the lack of good epub readers for the Mac; wither iBooks?). Add to those complaints the various problems endemic to epub ebooks, and I really loathe the format.

So, from my point of view, ebook releases aren't "proper" releases, not yet. But I'm sure they soon will be, in five years, in two, in ten.