RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,688
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 496
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 24 2011, 01:59 AM   #91
Tom
Rear Admiral

Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Ok I guess we are doing one S2 thread rather than individul theads? anyway episode 2 is almost on yeah!
Old October 24 2011, 04:31 AM   #92
JD
Admiral

Damn, I'm glad I got on here, because I totally forgot about TWD tonight. D'oh!
Old October 24 2011, 04:36 AM   #93
The Master of Tarquin Hill
Commodore

Much better than the 1st ep. I hope they keep up the good work. I read somewhere (probably in this thread) that the first ep was a mash-up of two episodes that were weak on their own. If this is the only hurdle that this show faces this season, we are in for some quality entertainment.
Old October 24 2011, 11:34 AM   #94
Scout101
Admiral

Really? Thought this one was a pretty weak filler episode, mostly. Which isn't great when we're doing 6-episode seasons. I mean, what happened? Other than Shane running to the school, which was the last couple minutes, nothing really happened. Everything that happened in this one could have been the first 2 minutes of next week's episode, and I'm not sure you'd have missed much.

With such short seasons, I'd like to see a little more progress each episode.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2011, 01:48 PM   #95
Ryan
Commodore

DarthTom wrote: View Post
My friend who originally turned me onto the show fears it's going to become a "Zombie Soap opera."
He better start hoping they don't follow the comic too closely because Kirkman loves him some melodrama (Rick has had something like three mental breakdowns at this point).
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2011, 01:49 PM   #96
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Looks like they're going with a slower pace which is what you need for a zombie show. That's not a bad pun, it's just that there's only so much you can do with a zombie threat, so a long-running series needs to take its time so as to not exhaust its limited story potential too quickly.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2011, 02:14 PM   #97
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Really? Thought this one was a pretty weak filler episode, mostly. Which isn't great when we're doing 6-episode seasons. I mean, what happened? Other than Shane running to the school, which was the last couple minutes, nothing really happened. Everything that happened in this one could have been the first 2 minutes of next week's episode, and I'm not sure you'd have missed much.

This season is 13 episodes. I haven't seen the 2nd one yet, but I have a good guess of who shot Carl and what happened to Sophia based on the comics.

For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2011, 06:13 PM   #98
FreezeC77
Commodore

I dunno why, but this makes me laugh

FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2011, 06:22 PM   #99
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Scout101 wrote: View Post

Huh. I really liked this episode. I thought there was a lot going on. We had:
Old October 24 2011, 06:25 PM   #100
FreezeC77
Commodore

I don't understand why they wouldn't make a distraction much further away to draw the zombies there rather then just have the move maybe a couple hundred yards away(if that)
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2011, 06:27 PM   #101
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Yeah. Hubby and I both thought that was some piss-poor planning on Shane's part. Why not have the big guy go in while Shane distracts the crowd? They'd already established the big guy can't run very well, so preparing a secure way out should've been planned better.
Old October 24 2011, 06:29 PM   #102
Garak
You Eat What You Kill

Another very so so episode.

So far this isn't the same Walking Dead that knocked my socks off last season.

There was some progress made with the farm and all, but it's still got that wishy washy feeling to it that I didn't feel at all last season.

The worst part of the episode was T-Dog getting all feverish and paranoid. Give it a rest dude. And considering a swarm of zombies just came by the car pile up on the highway, they sure don't seem intent on keeping a lookout for more.

Too bad that zombie didn't get Andrea, she sure got all stabby for someone that's lost the will to live. And the look she gives Dale on her return, give me a break. No one's stopping you now, sweetheart.

Hopefully it gets better - it should with the farm coming in to play, methinks, and I have no idea how Shane and Otis are going to get out of that school, they probably should have had a better exit strategy.

Andrew Lincoln is pretty awesome though, I have to say.
Old October 24 2011, 08:05 PM   #103
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

FreezeC77 wrote: View Post
I dunno why, but this makes me laugh

That made me jump outta my skin!!!

And also laugh. I love this show!

But seriously, that scene really underscores why Andrea is dead right to insist on carrying a gun. Or at least a crossbow (tho I think a pistol would be just the thing in that circumstance). If it attracts zombies, who cares, the gang will be gone by then. The risk of attracting zombies is less than the risk of being completely unarmed in a situation like that. At the very very least, everyone should have a baseball bat, but if it were me, I'd insist on a weapon that doesn't require close quarters for use. A pistol is a nice automatic type weapon, you don't even need to think about it in a panic situation, just aim and fire.

That scene also made me wonder about Otis hunting the deer. The gunshot will attract zombies, which is okay, as long as he's far from the homestead. But how is he going to butcher the deer quickly enough to get away before zombies might arrive?

After a gunshot, I'd want to be out of there pronto. He can't carry the deer and butcher it in a safe location, it's far too heavy. Even the few minutes it would take to chop off some good parts would be a risk, because he's out there on his own, and why doesn't he have someone to watch his back? He can't concentrate on stalking an animal while worrying someone is stalking him.

FreezeC77 wrote: View Post
I don't understand why they wouldn't make a distraction much further away to draw the zombies there rather then just have the move maybe a couple hundred yards away(if that)
Yeah I was thinking, "so you guys saved some flares to cover your exit, right?" Wow, no.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2011, 08:45 PM   #104
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Tom wrote: View Post
Ok I guess we are doing one S2 thread rather than individul theads?
We didn't do individual episode threads last season, so I didn't see a point in individual threads this season.

antichristhill wrote: View Post
Yeah. Hubby and I both thought that was some piss-poor planning on Shane's part. Why not have the big guy go in while Shane distracts the crowd? They'd already established the big guy can't run very well, so preparing a secure way out should've been planned better.
Shane being a distraction while Otis went for the supplies was exactly what I expected, particularly when Shane was opening the door to the police car. Not very smart planning on Shane's part here.

Not a stand-out episode admittedly, more of a transitional and introductory one, but I still enjoyed it. T-Dog's paranoia was misplaced (if he hadn't been injured, I imagine Rick and Shane would've wanted him along and would've had someone else stay behind), but he does have an infection and a fever so I suppose I can't blame him too much for not thinking straight. Dale is definitely the go-to character for interesting conversations, though.

Very glad to be at the farm now, because I really liked these characters in the comics. Scott Wilson is already doing a great job as Hershel, and I also already like Pruitt Taylor Vince as Otis. Vince is a much less mobile individual than Otis was in the comics, as we could clearly see in this episode, so that could present additional difficulties for the survivors down the road.

Last episode, Shane had been talking about his intention to split off from the group and go his own way, with Andrea expressing a desire to join him. I actually would've expected that sentiment to come from Daryl before any of the others, but he seems to be fitting right into the group dynamic pretty well (was amused by his "why didn't you say something sooner?" remark to Dale when he grabbed his brother's drug stash for the antibiotics). I'm wondering if Carl getting shot will change Shane's mind, though these two episodes have also clearly been setting out an unintentional splitting of the group, as Dale commented upon.

I'm also wondering if Sophia managed to find her way to the farm.

Also some fantastic performances from Jon Bernthal and Andrew Lincoln in this episode, particularly during their conversation before Shane and Otis left for the school. That conversation was a long emotional distance from the minute of weakness Shane had back in season one, where he was considering shooting Rick, and provided yet another reason for me to be glad Shane was kept around in this version of the story past that point where he had died in the comics.

On the other hand, I'm a little worried that, with the Rick/Shane friendship still around, we won't get a version of the Tyreese character from the comics; one of the things I really liked about him was the friendship, always having each other's back dynamic that developed with Rick. I feel like T-Dog might be the show's version of Tyreese; if so, the writers need to step up his characterization, because so far he isn't nearly as interesting.

Speaking of characters from the comics, did any other readers have a momentary expectation that the person on the horse was going to be a different female character? Granted, it wouldn't have made sense within the context of this episode and Maggie having asked Rick where to find Lori, but I am hoping very much that the show brings that particular badass into the group at some point.

Last edited by PsychoPere; October 24 2011 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Additional thoughts.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2011, 09:05 PM   #105
JD
Admiral

I thought this was a pretty good episode. I think the best part was the performances from Andrew Licoln and Jon Bernthal, the early scene with them together was awesome. It might not have been a big action episode, but I thought we got lots of great character stuff. I do agree about the plan at the school though, they really should have thought that through a little better.