RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,795
Posts: 5,325,621
Members: 24,548
Currently online: 613
Newest member: wrestlefreak36

TrekToday headlines

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 24 2011, 02:52 PM   #1681
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral
 
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Team Broccoli wrote: View Post
Why did they have those new #1s with Cap and Thor?
The exact same reason why Uncanny X-Men, Hulk, Moon Knight, Daredevil and Punisher all got #1s too. It's to boost sales. It certainly has nothing to do with the movies since these above books don't have movies out.

If it was pure quality that was getting people to buy, then how come highly regarded runs such as Paul Cornell's Action Comics or Bryan Miller's Batgirl were not nearly doing as well anything Marvel was publishing.
Simple: marketing. Marvel is better at pushing their product than DC. DC simply isn't very good at advertising barring their handling of the reboot and Blackest Night. They are just not very fan savy. Remember their idea of a prize for fans was a stupid doughnut.

Likewise mainstream notability simply does not translate into notability in the comics fandom. When a mainstream fan wants to get more of Batman, they aren't going to read the comic, they are going to watch the Nolan movies, watch the Batman cartoons and play the Arkham Asylum video game. Paying for the comic is at the very bottom of the list right next to watching the Adam West TV show.
__________________
Lex Luthor is a true American hero.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2011, 03:20 PM   #1682
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Uncanny X-Men has a new number one because of both marketing and STORY purposes let's not forget that. Sales is a primary reason but they restart the book at one because it is now Cyclops book.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2011, 03:58 PM   #1683
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral
 
Captain Craig's Avatar
 
Location: Nashville,TN
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Uncanny X-Men has a new number one because of both marketing and STORY purposes let's not forget that. Sales is a primary reason but they restart the book at one because it is now Cyclops book.
This isn't even a legit reason now if it ever was.
Long standing titles ran for hundreds of issues with new generations of readers picking them up and keeping them popular without needing #1's. My first issues of Spiderman were Spectacular 144 and Web of Spiderman 44(which also introduced me to a Gray Hulk??). Same for other titles. Creative teams and EIC's came and went and #1's weren't needed.
If you pick up the new Uncanny they are going to within issues, if not in issue 1 mention what has gotten us to this point. Same for the upcoming Hulk.
It's all marketing to FOOL the stupid that still think #1 means $$$$ down the road. That are they really are saying that today's youth are too stupid to jump in like generations before them were able to do.
__________________
"Picard never hit me." Q-Less(DS9)
"Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings" Optimus Prime
Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2011, 04:08 PM   #1684
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

I'm not talking about any future value of the book. We all know these number ones will have little to zero value of the book in a few years or whenever. I also am one who is against re-numbering but not because I'm a so called purist or anything like that. I just think it is silly. Fans will continue to buy the comics they want not because they think it will have some value to it but because they have been reading the book. Collectors might be deluded still into think there are some value to these new number ones. I have never bought books to collect, I have bought books to read. Simple as that.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2011, 04:12 PM   #1685
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

So, I talk about the Ghostbusters and TMNT comics and you flip your shit with a "NOT DC NEW 52!!!!?!!!!" but here you actively involve in a discussion about Marvel comics.

Interesting.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2011, 04:13 PM   #1686
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral
 
Captain Craig's Avatar
 
Location: Nashville,TN
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

I know you(Admiral Young) weren't but I still hear folks about the net and even at my LCS acting like OMG it's a #1. I give you the credit you deserve. I was talking about others. Sadly others I can say I've encountered weekly/monthly. Making excuses as if it's a legit 'jumping on point' for new readers.
__________________
"Picard never hit me." Q-Less(DS9)
"Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings" Optimus Prime
Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2011, 04:16 PM   #1687
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Hey Trekker...I'm not the one who started this particular subject...and they're talking business between Marvel and DC. Which is what the New 52 is all about.


So has anyone started to drop books? I'm down to fourteen now and can forsee getting down to four when we enter the second arc. My favourite two books so far are "Action Comics" and "Batman". I think my most disappointing book so far has to go to "Batman and Robin".
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; October 24 2011 at 05:20 PM.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2011, 05:40 PM   #1688
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Uncanny X-Men has a new number one because of both marketing and STORY purposes let's not forget that. Sales is a primary reason...
Then nothing else matters. You can buy the secondary reason or not.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2011, 05:43 PM   #1689
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral
 
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Hey Trekker...I'm not the one who started this particular subject...and they're talking business between Marvel and DC. Which is what the New 52 is all about.


So has anyone started to drop books? I'm down to fourteen now and can forsee getting down to four when we enter the second arc. My favourite two books so far are "Action Comics" and "Batman". I think my most disappointing book so far has to go to "Batman and Robin".
I'm quite fond of B&R. The writer is really in touch with Bruce's human side and he writes a very good Alfred.

Biggest disappointments are Blackhawks, Birds of Prey and Batgirl.
__________________
Lex Luthor is a true American hero.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2011, 06:16 PM   #1690
the G-man
Commodore
 
the G-man's Avatar
 
Location: to your immediate right
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Team Broccoli wrote: View Post
Close....

And don't forget this.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2011, 07:44 PM   #1691
Broccoli
Vice Admiral
 
Broccoli's Avatar
 
Location: Broccoli
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Team Broccoli wrote: View Post
Why did they have those new #1s with Cap and Thor?
The exact same reason why Uncanny X-Men, Hulk, Moon Knight, Daredevil and Punisher all got #1s too. It's to boost sales. It certainly has nothing to do with the movies since these above books don't have movies out.

If it was pure quality that was getting people to buy, then how come highly regarded runs such as Paul Cornell's Action Comics or Bryan Miller's Batgirl were not nearly doing as well anything Marvel was publishing.
Simple: marketing. Marvel is better at pushing their product than DC. DC simply isn't very good at advertising barring their handling of the reboot and Blackest Night. They are just not very fan savy. Remember their idea of a prize for fans was a stupid doughnut.

Likewise mainstream notability simply does not translate into notability in the comics fandom. When a mainstream fan wants to get more of Batman, they aren't going to read the comic, they are going to watch the Nolan movies, watch the Batman cartoons and play the Arkham Asylum video game. Paying for the comic is at the very bottom of the list right next to watching the Adam West TV show.
Again, what you don't seem to understand is that I am not saying that the movies are the only things giving Marvel the edge. But you can't deny that the movies have brought Marvel's characters to the forefront of public awareness much more than any of DC's over the past decade.
__________________
"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2011, 09:11 PM   #1692
C_Miller
Captain
 
C_Miller's Avatar
 
Location: Geneseo, NY
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Uncanny X-Men has a new number one because of both marketing and STORY purposes let's not forget that. Sales is a primary reason but they restart the book at one because it is now Cyclops book.
I'd argue that the story reason came from the sales reason. They wanted to reboot Uncanny X-Men so they created Schism to come back with several new number 1s (is it just Uncanny and Wolvie?). X-Men has gone through multiple changes of direction without relaunching. While there was a name change, Morrison took over at issue 114, which was the biggest change the X-Men have ever gone under. And then when that ended, the change started at issue 444 of Uncanny X-Men at 157 or so of X-Men. Then when they went to Utopia, none of the numbers changed either.

So yeah, you have to look at sales when it comes to this. Everything else is a very distant secondary.
__________________
Are You a writer and a comic book fan?
Join the fledgling Ultimate DC Unified Fanfiction Community
Ultimate DC Universe
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2011, 09:20 PM   #1693
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Team Broccoli wrote: View Post
Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Team Broccoli wrote: View Post
Why did they have those new #1s with Cap and Thor?
The exact same reason why Uncanny X-Men, Hulk, Moon Knight, Daredevil and Punisher all got #1s too. It's to boost sales. It certainly has nothing to do with the movies since these above books don't have movies out.

If it was pure quality that was getting people to buy, then how come highly regarded runs such as Paul Cornell's Action Comics or Bryan Miller's Batgirl were not nearly doing as well anything Marvel was publishing.
Simple: marketing. Marvel is better at pushing their product than DC. DC simply isn't very good at advertising barring their handling of the reboot and Blackest Night. They are just not very fan savy. Remember their idea of a prize for fans was a stupid doughnut.

Likewise mainstream notability simply does not translate into notability in the comics fandom. When a mainstream fan wants to get more of Batman, they aren't going to read the comic, they are going to watch the Nolan movies, watch the Batman cartoons and play the Arkham Asylum video game. Paying for the comic is at the very bottom of the list right next to watching the Adam West TV show.
Again, what you don't seem to understand is that I am not saying that the movies are the only things giving Marvel the edge. But you can't deny that the movies have brought Marvel's characters to the forefront of public awareness much more than any of DC's over the past decade.
Well, I've gotten into the comics because of the movies, so it has gotten them at least one new reader. But for me, it was more of just generally getting me interested in comics in general not specific characters. My thinking was that I really liked these characters, and I was curious to see what the source material for them was like. Then once I liked the couple of X-Men and Spider-Man comics, I started moving into other things like Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, and now that Marvel is on Comixology I plan on checking out FF, Hulk, Avengers, and a few other Marvel characters.
__________________
Over the course of many encounters and many years, I have successfully developed a standard operating procedure for dealing with big, nasty monsters. Run away. Me and Monty Python.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2011, 09:23 PM   #1694
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Team Broccoli wrote: View Post
Why did they have those new #1s with Cap and Thor?
The exact same reason why Uncanny X-Men, Hulk, Moon Knight, Daredevil and Punisher all got #1s too. It's to boost sales. It certainly has nothing to do with the movies since these above books don't have movies out.

If it was pure quality that was getting people to buy, then how come highly regarded runs such as Paul Cornell's Action Comics or Bryan Miller's Batgirl were not nearly doing as well anything Marvel was publishing.
Simple: marketing. Marvel is better at pushing their product than DC. DC simply isn't very good at advertising barring their handling of the reboot and Blackest Night. They are just not very fan savy. Remember their idea of a prize for fans was a stupid doughnut.

Likewise mainstream notability simply does not translate into notability in the comics fandom. When a mainstream fan wants to get more of Batman, they aren't going to read the comic, they are going to watch the Nolan movies, watch the Batman cartoons and play the Arkham Asylum video game.
And Arkham City.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2011, 09:47 PM   #1695
sojourner
Vice Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Anyone notice the tombstone for Ferro Lad in LOSH #2? Giant reservoir condom.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
batman, comic books, comics, dc comics, dc's new 52, justice league, superman, wonder woman

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.