Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old October 22 2011, 02:10 PM   #91
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: Talk of Bryan Singer's BSG project resurfaces

boneyardbill wrote: View Post
Can anyone confirm Blood & Chrome is pretty much frakked?
Pretty much, yes. Supposedly, the pilot was screened for Higher-Ups at SyFy, and they weren't impressed. Although no official desicion has been made, it's believed that the pilot will be burned off as a series of webisodes, and that will be that.

Here's the thread where this was discussed.
Old October 22 2011, 06:38 PM   #92
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
N-121973 wrote: View Post
WeAreTheBorg wrote: View Post
It could be a first Cylon war movie. Or maybe it's a remake but in the sense of "all this has happened before" and it's the next cycle, or something. Or maybe he just means it will be very different from both series so as to not step on any toes, but just it's own thing.
My God that was exactly my intepretation as well, right down to 'the next cycle' in the neverending story. In fact I wondered once whether or not TOS BSG could have been just that.
Perhaps TOS could be a sequel to nuBSG (obviously not the reverse, because of the time differential).

Meaning: After the events of nuBSG, the Cylons went back and rebuilt the colonies - repopulated them, rebuilt all the cities, everything. So much time has gone by that these new colonists literally forgot that they are Cylons and believe they are human; the events of TOS are a result of this. So in that sense, every BSG-TOS character is a humanoid Cylon.
I actually had similar thoughts. And this approach would legitimize Galactica 1980 by explaining how the fleet could find Earth and have the 13th tribe be less advanced than the other 12. It never made sense to me how a group of peole could leave Kobol in warp capable starships and their descendants thousands of years later do not have that technology. And of course, we know it was just shitty writing, but if you add New Galactica to the mix, Bill Adama's fleet discarding their technology and starting over, would make 1980 make sense.
Old October 22 2011, 08:12 PM   #93
Ru ru, chu
Fleet Admiral

View Ru ru, chu's Twitter Profile

RandyS wrote: View Post
It never made sense to me how a group of peole could leave Kobol in warp capable starships and their descendants thousands of years later do not have that technology. And of course, we know it was just shitty writing, but if you add New Galactica to the mix, Bill Adama's fleet discarding their technology and starting over, would make 1980 make sense.
In one of the deleted scenes in TOS, Apollo explains that after the humans left Kobol and founded the colonies, they deliberately destroyed all of their technology. It took hundreds of yahren to revive even the most primitive ships for exploring space.

As for G1980, I always assumed that any continuation of TOS would regard it as a virtual reality simulation of what first contact with Earth would have been like if it had gone disastrously wrong.
Old October 23 2011, 04:30 PM   #94
David cgc
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Pretty much, yes. Supposedly, the pilot was screened for Higher-Ups at SyFy, and they weren't impressed. Although no official desicion has been made, it's believed that the pilot will be burned off as a series of webisodes, and that will be that.

Well they're still working on it, so it's certain to be seen in some form.

Doug Drexler wrote:
With the near completion of “Blood And Chrome”, I’ll finally have time to get back to posting on the Drex Files. Hang in there, and I’ll be back with more stuff that I know you’re gonna like!

By the way, “Chrome” is hugely awesome, and I have to say that I have never been prouder of anything that I have ever been involved in. The show is all adrenaline, and I think that fans will be elated.

At any rate, as we race to button up the last bits of “Chrome”, I’ll be rounding up some interesting stuff for the Drex Files, including more Ships: Active Duty See you then!
Old October 23 2011, 04:50 PM   #95
Agent Richard07
Retired

Last night, I thought of Bradley Cooper as Starbuck. Only after did I remember that he played Face in the A-team movie.
Old October 23 2011, 05:19 PM   #96
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

David cgc wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post

Well they're still working on it, so it's certain to be seen in some form.

Doug Drexler wrote:
With the near completion of “Blood And Chrome”, I’ll finally have time to get back to posting on the Drex Files. Hang in there, and I’ll be back with more stuff that I know you’re gonna like!

By the way, “Chrome” is hugely awesome, and I have to say that I have never been prouder of anything that I have ever been involved in. The show is all adrenaline, and I think that fans will be elated.

At any rate, as we race to button up the last bits of “Chrome”, I’ll be rounding up some interesting stuff for the Drex Files, including more Ships: Active Duty See you then!
I recall hearing something about February 2012, but, don't remember if that's a rumor with a good possibility of being fairly accurate, or if it was someone's assumption it couldn't be any sooner considering lack of promotion so far?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old October 23 2011, 06:49 PM   #97
Takeru
Fleet Captain

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Last night, I thought of Bradley Cooper as Starbuck. Only after did I remember that he played Face in the A-team movie.
No, Starbuck has to be female, I want to see Dirk Benedict's head explode.
Old October 23 2011, 07:27 PM   #98
billcosby
Commodore

Cool, I just checked Mr. Drexler's blog. Thanks for clearing it up for me, The Wormhole.
It would be such a waste if this project wasn't given an opportunity to shine. Everything on paper about it sounds fantastic.
I can't get excited about another reboot. Everything is being rebooted too quickly.
Someday there's going to be a movie that gets rebooted, redesigned and recasted halfway during the film. It will start with one style and cast and end with another.

And that movie will be called....

Old October 24 2011, 04:56 AM   #99
BriGuy
Rear Admiral

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
I'm just not interested in any new projects that have anything to do with the old '70s series. I only care about the RDM version.
Well, that's too bad for you, but doesn't mean those of us who know and love the original (without which you wouldn't have the RDM version) shouldn't get to see what Singer has in mind.

Yes, I like both the original and the reimagined. But since BSG went ended, the movies after were kinda sucky and Caprica bombed, and the whole thing just seemed to grind to a halt. Look at this forum - just about no activity, really.
Old October 24 2011, 05:06 AM   #100
Ru ru, chu
Fleet Admiral

Having just seen Moneyball, I might suggest a certain other Brad... although he might be a bit old for the part by the time they get around to filming this.

As for other characters, like Adama: It's too bad Leslie Nielsen died. IMHO, he would be perfect for Adama. And not because of all this goofy comedy crap he was doing at the end. I'm talking the dramatic roles he was known for in his early days. (he even played it straight, for the most part, in Airplane! and Police Squad!).
Old October 24 2011, 05:08 AM   #101
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

That other Brad is about 15-20 years too old for Starbuck.
Old October 24 2011, 05:09 AM   #102
Ru ru, chu
Fleet Admiral

^ Thought so. But he's got the attitude, you must admit. Especially when playing Billy Beane...
Old October 24 2011, 05:36 AM   #103
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

BriGuy wrote: View Post
Well, that's too bad for you, but doesn't mean those of us who know and love the original (without which you wouldn't have the RDM version) shouldn't get to see what Singer has in mind.
I neither stated nor implied otherwise.
Old October 24 2011, 02:03 PM   #104
Agent Richard07
Retired

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
As for other characters, like Adama: It's too bad Leslie Nielsen died. IMHO, he would be perfect for Adama. And not because of all this goofy comedy crap he was doing at the end. I'm talking the dramatic roles he was known for in his early days. (he even played it straight, for the most part, in Airplane! and Police Squad!).
He could probably have pulled it off, but he was too entrenched as a comedic actor. A lot of people would be half expecting "Commander Frank Drebin".
Old October 24 2011, 03:40 PM   #105
Kegg
Rear Admiral

A lot of people would be half expecting "Commander Frank Drebin".
He'll always be J.J. Adams for me.

Another problem though is Leslie Nielsen could have played Adama when the original show aired. Whatever Adama the Third is, he's more likely in Olmos' generation or slightly younger than he is in Lorne Greene's.