Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you rate Captain America: The First Avenger?
A+ 34 19.21%
A 51 28.81%
A- 34 19.21%
B+ 27 15.25%
B 15 8.47%
B- 5 2.82%
C+ 5 2.82%
C 4 2.26%
C- 1 0.56%
D+ 0 0%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 1 0.56%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 23 2011, 01:07 PM   #571
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

Depending on her reception in Avengers I think Black Widow is a strong possibility.
If not then I could see Marvel wanting to stay close to their Avengers formula but still pursuing a female led film and go with Spider-Woman. They get the best of bot worlds in Avengers tie-in AND a character loosely tied to a property they can't as of yet touch in Spiderman.

If not then I'll take something like Black Panther, Ka-Zar, Man-Thing or Moon Knight!!!
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2011, 01:17 PM   #572
Skywalker
Admiral

I'd love to see a Doctor Strange movie. That'd offer a more unique facet of the Marvel universe than a movie about Ant-Man, Black Panther, or SHIELD, IMO.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2011, 03:00 PM   #573
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Bump! Writers confirm that the sequel will be set 'primarily in the modern day'

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=83433
Old October 23 2011, 03:52 PM   #574
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Completely unsurprising.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2011, 05:45 PM   #575
Anwar
Vice Admiral

"Primarily", which means if they do with a villain like Zemo they can show a few flashbacks to Cap fighting the Past Zemo to set up present day Zemo.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2011, 06:07 PM   #576
Skywalker
Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Bump! Writers confirm that the sequel will be set 'primarily in the modern day'

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=83433
The correct decision.

It'd be neat to see Cap flash back to some event in World War II that ties into whatever crisis he's facing in the modern day.
Old October 23 2011, 07:25 PM   #577
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Cap's WWII-era character arc was completed in the first movie, no reason to stick with that era exclusively now (although I love the idea of flashbacks!) The character needs a new modern-day arc. The comics provide plenty of inspiration along those lines.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2011, 04:51 AM   #578
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Depending on her reception in Avengers I think Black Widow is a strong possibility.
If not then I could see Marvel wanting to stay close to their Avengers formula but still pursuing a female led film and go with Spider-Woman. They get the best of bot worlds in Avengers tie-in AND a character loosely tied to a property they can't as of yet touch in Spiderman.

If not then I'll take something like Black Panther, Ka-Zar, Man-Thing or Moon Knight!!!
I didn't think about Spider-Woman...she would be ideal.

Forgive me if this has been asked before but who owns the rights to Quicksilver and The Scarlet Witch? They started in the X-Men and years later it was discovered they were actually Magneto's children but the two of them, especially Wanda, are best associated with The Avengers. Even if they could use them, they wouldn't be allowed to mention The Magneto connection. They probably can't even say their mutants.
DarthPipes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2011, 05:02 AM   #579
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

^Probably depends on the story they are telling and whether or not they would fit that story.

Then again, given how much care, currently, Marvel Studios is putting into these adaptations in how closely the characters mirror their comic counterparts (generally speaking), they might just omit Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch altogether given their direct connections to the X-Men.

Then again again, they could just use the "We're meta-humans!" and ignore their parents.

This is assuming, of course, that 20th Century Fox doesn't own the rights to the characters.
Old October 24 2011, 06:08 AM   #580
Magellan
Lieutenant Commander

Just got the Captain America DVD last night. I guess A&P didn't respect the release date. The single disc DVD is pretty bare bones though. Not much interesting as for the extras.

Actually liked the movie better the second time. Great vibe, good casting, I still enjoyed the slow build to becoming Cap.

The biggest flaws with the film still has to be Red Skull. he just isn't fleshed out enough to be anything more than a mustache twirling type villain. Also are they even fighting Nazis? All we ever see is HYDRA. Did the Third Reich just completely fall in 1942 to HYDRA? A little confusing really. I personally interpret Schmidts little rebellion against Hitler as just a way to bargain for more independence in his actions but that he basically just still fought on the Nazis side, but it really isn't clear.
Magellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2011, 07:41 AM   #581
TemporalFlux
Commodore

Team Broccoli wrote: View Post
This is assuming, of course, that 20th Century Fox doesn't own the rights to the characters.
I haven't read the agreements, but it's seemed to me like the movie studios have rights to the original license they sought plus anything derivative of that license. For example, Sony has Spider-man and thus also right to make a Venom movie (Venom having been created for and first appeared in Spider-man). Interestingly, this is why a Fantastic Four movie couldn't feature Namor. The Namor license is / was owned by Universal, and Namor is an independent creation from decades before the Fantastic Four.

Given that, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver first appeared in X-men #4 (1964), and they were created for the X-men stories. I think 20th Century Fox has the rights. On the same token, Beast couldn't appear in Avengers even though he's just as notable for that team.

I think the Avengers movie will give some further insight. There have been rumors that...

We'll wait and see how they handle that potential situation; it could give some further clarification to how these movie rights shake things out.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2011, 07:51 AM   #582
Skywalker
Admiral

TemporalFlux wrote: View Post
Old October 24 2011, 02:39 PM   #583
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Magellan wrote: View Post

The biggest flaws with the film still has to be Red Skull. he just isn't fleshed out enough to be anything more than a mustache twirling type villain. Also are they even fighting Nazis? All we ever see is HYDRA. Did the Third Reich just completely fall in 1942 to HYDRA? A little confusing really. I personally interpret Schmidts little rebellion against Hitler as just a way to bargain for more independence in his actions but that he basically just still fought on the Nazis side, but it really isn't clear.
This is in line with the comics: Schmidt considers himself to be superior to the Nazis as the highest form of human life, and Hitler was afraid of him. So HYDRA has the same goals as the Nazis, but think they are the better people than the Aryan race.

Cap was part of the Proto-SHIELD group that fought against HYDRA, but Cap DID fight in normal WWII battles against the Axis powers too (they just didn't have time to show us these battles without disrupting the narrative). The movie takes place over a few years (I think), it just goes so fast you'd think it was just months.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2011, 02:48 PM   #584
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Anwar wrote: View Post
Magellan wrote: View Post

This is in line with the comics: Schmidt considers himself to be superior to the Nazis as the highest form of human life, and Hitler was afraid of him. So HYDRA has the same goals as the Nazis, but think they are the better people than the Aryan race.

Cap was part of the Proto-SHIELD group that fought against HYDRA, but Cap DID fight in normal WWII battles against the Axis powers too (they just didn't have time to show us these battles without disrupting the narrative). The movie takes place over a few years (I think), it just goes so fast you'd think it was just months.
A few months for the Captain in combat. The Allied invasion of Italy was late 1943 and the war was over by the middle of 1945. Just much more intense then Vietnam or the Global War on Terror
Old October 24 2011, 04:10 PM   #585
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

DarthPipes wrote: View Post

Forgive me if this has been asked before but who owns the rights to Quicksilver and The Scarlet Witch?
Didn't FOX already use Pietro in X-Men Origins Wolverine? The speculation is that the white haired teen to the right is Quicksilver.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote