Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old October 14 2011, 07:19 PM   #1576
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

Re: Minecraft

What I was thinking was that Adventure mode would just be a Survival world with event triggers, quests, and the inability to place blocks or craft items.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2011, 06:57 AM   #1577
Encifer
Ensign

View Encifer's Twitter Profile

Princess Luna wrote: View Post
What I was thinking was that Adventure mode would just be a Survival world with event triggers, quests, and the inability to place blocks or craft items.
That's what they kind of made it out to be to start out with, but it seems like they're taking it in a different direction now. Then again, I have no idea what they're doing! Them Mojangz can be fairly cryptic.
Old October 23 2011, 06:29 AM   #1578
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

I was out exploring today, and I think I've come across the best thing the terrain generator has ever done. At first, as I was exploring, I had to traverse a huge ocean that seemed to never end. I thought something was wrong with the terrain generator as I wasn't seeing any land in any direction for quite awhile, until I came upon this:

Yes, that's quite the epic arch in the background, and here it is seen closer:

Kind of feels like a pirate cove.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2011, 04:28 PM   #1579
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I noticed today is officially one year since I started playing this game. Oh God, I need help.
Old October 23 2011, 05:15 PM   #1580
Hoser
Hoser

View Hoser's Twitter Profile

Holy cow, I never thought of that....I've been playing on and off since September. That's crazy, only a few games I've owned have resided on my desktop that long.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2011, 09:00 PM   #1581
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Neet Owain. I love things like that. Oh, and the huge oceans are normal btw.

Same here. I usually play a game for a month, maybe two before I realize I've seen and done everything and start getting bored. So I credit the frequent updates for keeping me interested. Needless to say I'm a bit concerned about the upcoming full release.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2011, 09:31 PM   #1582
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Ironically, I've done very little with the new content since 1.7. There is still a good bit of 1.7 and 1.8 I haven't used at all. The potion dynamics seem interesting but I'm not sure if I'll use them. It feels like they're adding all this content to fill out the game's challenge, but then the actual challenge (going to The End and defeating a dragon) doesn't amount to much. Sure, maybe the dragon is super hard to kill. But then what happens in between? I liked Minecraft most when it followed a simple yet clear progression:

1. Start with nothing.
2. Get some wood, make wood tools/shelter.
3. Use wood tools to get stone, make stone tools/better shelter.
4. Use your stone tools and torches to go caving, find iron, gold, and diamonds.
5. Make iron/diamond tools and armor, keep exploring for caves and dungeons.
6. Build yourself up a nice inventory of goods, both manufactured and found. Presumably, in the process you've built a sweet residence, as well.

The Nether had the potential to add a further challenge. You could only mine obsidian with diamond tools, so you had to have reached the limits of crafting already. Problem was, once you got to the Nether, you were presented with a few new block types (none of which are essential) and one powerful new enemy. Why was there no potential for "Nether tools," somehow more powerful/durable than the other types? It just came off very half-baked.

I like that there is more content, but I also get the impression there isn't much of a progression anymore. Once you get diamond tools, then what? Making potions and enchanting things seems more of a lateral move, a sidebar.

I don't know, maybe the final game will be awesome. But from what I've heard about the pre-releases, it appears a bunch of things were added with no attention paid to creating a cohesive experience. Minecraft had a cohesive experience at the end of Alpha, even if it had no actual endgame. What you did to move from one step to the next at least made sense.

Maybe we should take our existing server world, carve out the parts we've built on, and move them to another location. Start over with a new spawn, and see what happens. I wonder if it's possible to run multiple "overworlds" in parallel, using types of portals to go between them? I'd be okay with starting a new world and leaving the old one accessible that way, too.

Even now, I'm tempted to head out into the unknown with just some tools and supplies and set up a new home. But I may not do that until the game reaches release.
Old October 24 2011, 12:22 AM   #1583
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I prefer it as a sandbox game with no goals other than the ones you set yourself. My goal in exploring was to find some of the new stuff, and found that island as a result. Not sure what I think about moving to another location though.

I don't really get the point of creative mode. You have this entire world to explore, but you already have everything, so why would you? I feel I'd get bored of that even more quickly than survival. I think the fact that you have to find things in order to proceed makes it more interesting.

The core gameplay is fine, to a point, but yeah, I agree. It's as if they keep adding things while forgetting the core gameplay elements that are needed, like say nether tools to complement the nether. And then those new things are half-baked as you say, so it doesn't amount to much in the realm of new things to do. I'm puzzled as to why they've even released villages in 1.8 if NPCs weren't ready. I'd think it would be far more impressive to see those villages with NPCs in them the first time you see them, so I think they could have waited until 1.9 to release villages. But again, I think it's going to be another thing that will feel like a novelty, unless it really feels worth it to find one. It remains to be seen wether they'll make us want to go back to them.

I'm not a fan of enchanting weapons. I'd much prefer having to level up and choosing skills as that would give more of a feeling of progression. With enchantments, it doesn't seem nearly as exciting. They don't seem to be a part of your character like skills are and generally give you less a feeling of attachment towards your character.

Last edited by Owain Taggart; October 24 2011 at 12:43 AM.
Old October 24 2011, 08:57 PM   #1584
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

I don't mind potions too much. To me its like redstone, you can us eit or ignore it as you prefer. I'll probably mix up a few like Speed, or Flying just for general utility.

Its all moot for me anyway atm, since I'm not updating until 1.9 is fully released.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Old October 24 2011, 09:03 PM   #1585
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

I'm still on 1.8, as well. Not messing with this 1.9-pre stuff. I've just been reading the forums, and there is much complaining.
Old October 25 2011, 12:47 AM   #1586
judge alba
senior street judge

complaining on the minecraft forums? never

i wonder if they are going to bring out 1.9 or just bring the full game out.
the full release was 11-11-11 wasn't it?
Firm as a mountain.
Strike as powerful as thunder.
judge alba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2011, 01:58 AM   #1587
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

They want the launch to be at MineCon and they couldn't book the a convention centre in Las Vegas on 11-11-11, so they pushed the release back a week. And they're not releasing an official Beta 1.9, just the pre-releases, so the next version is likely to be v1.0.

I've messed around in the pre-releases as they've been released, but I haven't played the game in weeks. I can't bring myself to play without the new features but I don't want to play the pre-releases in case they cause more chunk errors with the full release.
Old October 25 2011, 02:29 AM   #1588
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I could get the pre-release I suppose, but then I wouldn't be able to get on the server. So I'm just gonna try to be patient, even if I am dying to try the new stuff.
Old October 25 2011, 02:48 AM   #1589
Hoser
Hoser

View Hoser's Twitter Profile

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
I don't really get the point of creative mode.
It gives the people who've been making massive projects an easier method than the hacks and mods. It's also a great notepad for people working on machines or devices.

Also, it's a fun place for my six year old to fly around and swat zombies.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2011, 05:36 AM   #1590
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Oh, I guess there's the experimentation angle. Can you transfer things you've made in creative mode to a server? See, I'd like that feature, but then I like playing where others are playing as it feels lonely otherwise. I have a feeling I'd get bore very quickly. I don't like playing SMP much as it is.

Speaking of Minecon. I'd hate to think that it would be similar to the official forums.

I've encountered some weird bugs today. How about this water floating in mid-air?

Or the squid that was becoming one with the cave? It was alive and it was moving its tendrils, but it was pretending to be a dirt block.

Last edited by Owain Taggart; October 25 2011 at 05:53 AM.