Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old October 22 2011, 11:15 PM   #91
The Dominion
Fleet Captain

Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

And then you get a headache later.
Old October 23 2011, 04:30 AM   #92
Harvey
Admiral

Temis the Bleeding Aorta wrote: View Post
TOS was nonexistent and the less said about TNG's, the better.
"Encounter at Farpoint" is weak, but it sets up Q and themes that are active for the duration of the series, and introduces most of the character well enough.

As for the original series, both "Where No Man Goes Before" (the second pilot) or "The Corbamite Maneuver" (the first regular episode) are great at introducing the themes and ideas of the series. Outside of the big three and the guest stars, they're not much for introducing characters, but the original series was never that interested in those sort of stories.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2011, 04:43 AM   #93
Admiral Shran
Admiral

Freddy is ready to watch Move Along Home....

Old October 23 2011, 05:23 AM   #94
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Awww, "Move Along Home" isn't so bad if you don't take it seriously...

When I saw it for the first time, I was little, and I'm still able to see the fun in it the way I did as a child. Perhaps you should watch that episode as a children's show rather than one aimed at adults.
Old October 23 2011, 11:40 AM   #95
Seven of Five
Commodore

Move Along Home and If Wishes Were Horses had me wondering if the DS9 staff had actually let their kids write for the show.

I agree that both need you to be in a certain mood before watching, otherwise you'll be pulling your hair out rather quickly.
Old October 23 2011, 03:33 PM   #96
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Captive Pursuit (***½)

After two or three months exploring the Gamma Quadrant, the first alien from that part of the galaxy shows up. What, are they all hiding, or something? Tosk can make himself invisible, I suppose. Anyway, Tosk shows up and he's all like "I am Tosk", which is strangely endearing. He's like a cross between a talking crocodile and a puppy, which is important as you've got to like Tosk if the episode is to work, and I like Tosk. He's pretty good as far as aliens go, he seems genuinely different and he's confused by all the things that we find normal, such as sleep and bars.

But Tosk isn't a normal alien, he's a Tosk, the prey in the most dangerous game of all; Catch the Tosk. Now here's a sci-fi concept that I don't remember seeing on TNG, an alien whose sole purpose for existing is to be chased and killed. As someone that's opposed to blood sports and finds them distasteful in the extreme, the idea of hunting and killing a sentient being for fun goes against everything I believe. Which is why Tosk is so interesting as he doesn't see it that way, all he wants is to be a good Tosk and to have the tale of his hunt be remembered for generations. It's tragic, but that's the order of things. All that can be done for Tosk is to free him and let the hunt continue as that's the only life he understands.

The episode presents an interesting issue and doesn't get preachy with it, it just tells the story in a way that's true to the characters. O'Brien and Tosk work well together, and this is the earliest relationship I remember from watching the show as a child. But the most memorable moment of the episode for me was from a different relationship, the one between O'Brien and Bashir. As Bashir offers his help during a staff meeting, O'Brien rudely cuts him off to show his distaste at the good doctor. Silly O'Brien, you know you love him really.

Form of... a Painting: 5
Old October 23 2011, 03:58 PM   #97
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

I like Babel, perhaps it all the actors saying gibberish with out falling on the floor laughing,...
Old October 23 2011, 09:31 PM   #98
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Severed Fingers wrote: View Post
Move Along Home and If Wishes Were Horses had me wondering if the DS9 staff had actually let their kids write for the show.

I agree that both need you to be in a certain mood before watching, otherwise you'll be pulling your hair out rather quickly.
As a kid, though, I found "Move Along Home" fun and easy to follow (and with lots of bright and interesting things to look at). The plot actually had a structure and made sense whether you happen to agree with it or not. I did not find "If Wishes Were Horses" so engaging, and still don't...though I find it rather funny now that I'm older how the shallow Dax we see Bashir hallucinate seems SO much like post-"Blood Oath" Dax in her behavior...
Old October 23 2011, 09:54 PM   #99
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

Nerys Dukat wrote: View Post
Severed Fingers wrote: View Post

As a kid, though, I found "Move Along Home" fun and easy to follow (and with lots of bright and interesting things to look at). The plot actually had a structure and made sense whether you happen to agree with it or not. I did not find "If Wishes Were Horses" so engaging, and still don't...though I find it rather funny now that I'm older how the shallow Dax we see Bashir hallucinate seems SO much like post-"Blood Oath" Dax in her behavior...
You are not the only one I agree 100%
Old October 23 2011, 10:04 PM   #100
Admiral Shran
Admiral

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
After two or three months exploring the Gamma Quadrant, the first alien from that part of the galaxy shows up. What, are they all hiding, or something?
Don't they later claim that the Gamma Quadrant entrance to the Wormhole is in a relatively uninhabited area of space? I knew it's later revealed that it is outside Dominion territory.

But Tosk isn't a normal alien, he's a Tosk, the prey in the most dangerous game of all; Catch the Tosk. Now here's a sci-fi concept that I don't remember seeing on TNG, an alien whose sole purpose for existing is to be chased and killed.
The TNG-lite rule gets avoided again.

I agree that Captive Pursuit is a pretty solid standalone episode. The Tosk-O'Brien dynamic really works and I love how O'Brien realizes that it actually is okay for him not to dogmatically follow the rules of the Federation all the time.

Silly O'Brien, you know you love him really.
He's just repressing it.
Old October 23 2011, 10:29 PM   #101
Seven of Five
Commodore

I liked Captive Pursuit - best episode since Emissary. Which wasn't particularly hard really! The idea of this species existing purely to be hunted was fascinating, and it's perhaps a shame that nothing ever happened with them again.

I loved O'Brien helping him out, it really aided his development.
Old October 23 2011, 10:31 PM   #102
Skywalker
Admiral

Yeah, "Captive Pursuit" is pretty decent. I thought the outfits those hunters wore looked pretty ridiculous even by early '90s Star Trek standards, though.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2011, 10:38 PM   #103
Admiral Shran
Admiral

^ The effect for their transports was pretty cool though.
Old October 23 2011, 11:36 PM   #104
The Dominion
Fleet Captain

The hunters looked like something out of a '50s B-movie.

Didn't they have some kind of bubble helmet?
Old October 24 2011, 05:35 AM   #105
Orac
Admiral

Captive Pursuit is one of the best episodes of DS9 IMO.

I rate it: 5 Stars (*****) and 4 Thumbs up. ()

ENTER | TOS Avatar Contest #52: The Omega Glory
Orac is offline   Reply With Quote