Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 22 2011, 02:31 PM   #1651
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

There is no reason why most of the books couldn't continue with their 52 verse creative teams attached to them but still part of the previous continuity. Imagine Geoff Johns and Jim Lee on the Justice League rebuilding the big seven? He could still promote Vic up from the Titans. Sales on these books will eventually drop as soon as fan curiosity starts to dwindle on them. In terms of Superman I would have had Paul Cornell continue on Action Comics while giving Grant the opportunity to do his "All-Star Superman: Year One" as a prequel to All Star Superman. Would have Chris Roberson continue on "Superman" proceeding with a brand new story arc after "Grounded".

I dunno. I still feel like this was done as a sales grab and there was no real reason to relaunch a lot of the books. Again I am not saying that I don't like some of the books and their creative teams because I think I have been pretty clear about what I have liked so far. I am just being critical of the notion of the relaunch in general. Perhaps the sales figures in coming months will prove me wrong...Marvel has some pretty cool stuff on the horizon for November and beyond so hopefully they'll start challenging the New 52 a little more stronger.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2011, 03:03 PM   #1652
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I still feel like this was done as a sales grab [...]
Well, duh! It worked too!

The comic book industry is dying a slow death. Marvel and DC are desperate to get new/retain old readers. Stunts like rebooting or having "big events" are their best hopes at the moment.
Old October 22 2011, 03:16 PM   #1653
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

I would have had Paul Cornell continue on Action Comics while giving Grant the opportunity to do his "All-Star Superman: Year One" as a prequel to All Star Superman.
Why would you want Morrison writing an Elseworld origin when he can rewrite the origin entirely in the main dc continuity? I am certainly disappointed that Roberson didn't get a book and the Cornell is stuck writing Stormwatch and Demon Knights, but Morrison on Action Comics is probably one of the best things coming out of the reboot.
Old October 22 2011, 03:34 PM   #1654
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I agree with you, Action Comics and Batman are the two best books out of the relaunch. My point though which I think is being missed entirely is that most of it has felt unnecessary. DC felt other wise obviously. I'm just making a personal observation and critique. I'm happy that so many are enjoying the relaunch...that's clearly what DC wanted as well.

Or as I've stated before DC could have kept the original numbering for Action Comics and had Grant do the new origin story. Kind of like what DC did with Frank Miller and Batman Year One originally before it became known as a graphic novel.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; October 22 2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old October 22 2011, 09:44 PM   #1655
Derishton
Vice Admiral

I don't get the impression that Cornell thinks he's "stuck" on Demon Knights, which is one of the better titles in the 52. The only title I liked more was All-Star Western - Wonder Woman and Justice League Dark were good runners-up. That being said, Perez was a weird choice for Superman.

I was underwhelmed by the first issue of Justice League, but really liked the second issue - especially the Flash/Superman fight and the cell phone conversation. I might be the only person who thought that only seeing the end of Batman's ineffective attempts to throw stuff at Superman was actually quite effective story-telling.
Old October 22 2011, 10:18 PM   #1656
Mr Light
Admiral

who is this Roberson guy you guys are talking about?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2011, 10:27 PM   #1657
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Chris Roberson. He took over on Superman and finished JMS's Grounded story line. He is currently writing the Legion of Superheroes/Star Trek crossover as well for IDW.

Old October 22 2011, 10:29 PM   #1658
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Well, I was buying one DC title occasionally before the relaunch, now I'm buying five or six...monthly, so far.

Saying that the writing on the pre-relaunch titles was not weaker than Marvel is damning with faint praise.

The simple, direct writing style of the new books that I've been reading is very appealing when it works. My one real disappointment with that aspect of nuDC thus far is GL.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2011, 10:31 PM   #1659
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
It's not that often that you get that combination along with him remaining single. IRL there'd at least be every kind of rumor about his sex life in the tabloids all the time. In real, real life just about anyone in his situation is married, often has been more than once, and women are fucking him on the side anyway.

Bruce Wayne is as plausible as Clark Kent.
A few years ago they did a sub-plot where a social worker was trying to work out what actually happened to Jason Todd and thought that something funny had gone on. He and his partner go to Wayne Manor and Bruce answers the door in his dressing gown and behind him is a young asian girl who can barely speak engish (Batgirl of course), also in a dressing gown - confirming to the social worker that he's a sleeze...

interesting.

In one of the Robin miniseries, they had this tiny b plot running in the background, that social services was asking questions about why his ward/special-friend Tim Drake was covered in new bruises every morning.

It was far more intriguing than whatever the guts of that series was about, but never the less DC probably didn't want to write a how to manual for children to cleverly hide abuse from the prying eyes of the man.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2011, 10:39 PM   #1660
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Shit, he's a billionaire living in what is by its very premise the most corrupt city in America. Until someone actually turns up dead no questions will be asked.

Even then, the odds favor "death by accident/misadventure."
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2011, 10:40 PM   #1661
Mr Light
Admiral

Really? I have intensely disliked the "Grounded" run, before and after JMS left.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2011, 10:47 PM   #1662
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Roberson made the second half readable...at least I thought so. The first issue of the Legion/Star Trek crossover was awesome sauce.

Old October 22 2011, 11:22 PM   #1663
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Really? I have intensely disliked the "Grounded" run, before and after JMS left.
Roberson pretty much undid almost everything that JMS was trying to do.

He also had the future Superman Dynasty from DC One Million, worked in the Lex Luthor stole forty cakes meme into a story and had a muslim superhero (that DC cut out because they were too squeamish).

Last edited by Hound of UIster; October 22 2011 at 11:53 PM.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2011, 12:19 AM   #1664
the G-man
Commodore

Mr Light wrote: View Post
who is this Roberson guy you guys are talking about?
Chris Roberson. He took over on Superman and finished JMS's Grounded story line. He is currently writing the Legion of Superheroes/Star Trek crossover as well for IDW.
He also does the wonderful "I Zombie" with Mike Allred for Vertigo.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2011, 01:49 AM   #1665
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

The only reason Bruce would concern himself with Corps affairs is if they interfered or intervened in Gotham. Other than that he would not bother with them, except maybe on a Justice League mission. Maybe. He has already weilded a Green Lantern and a Sinestro Corps ring before only to reject them both.
I dunno. The weird thing about Corps is that they an energy source and technology beyond humanity's wildest dreams, and they use it exclusively to fight other people with basically similar power sources and technologies. What about the brown skins, Green Lantern?

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote