Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 15 2011, 05:29 AM   #16
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier
Re: "Ghostbusters" Theatrical Re-Release for Halloween 2011!

Timby wrote: View Post
Kirkman1987 wrote: View Post
I can't see this being a wide release, but I'll check it out if it comes here.
Right now, it's UK-only, since the distributor is based in the UK. This is also the company that handled last year's Back to the Future re-release, however, and that landed at AMC theaters.

But as Sony hasn't come out with any announcement yet as to whether it will be a wide release, and a middleman is handling the distribution, it currently looks as though this will be more of an "Is this theater going to request the print to show it or not" kind of thing -- and it would likely be limited to areas in which it would do extremely well.
Where did you hear it's UK only? That's "Jurassic Park" from what I've heard. It's the one UK-only. I've heard nothing about "Ghostbusters" being such.

Everything so far has been from the official GB facebook page and nothing there has made any mention of any other country.

http://www.movieviral.com/2011/09/14...ough-facebook/

http://www.yidio.com/movie/ghostbust...l-release-3740 is claiming...

"Ghostbusters" will get a fairly wide theatrical re-release next month, just in time for Halloween. The print will be digitally re-mastered, as most things are nowadays, but I don't think you have to worry about director Ivan Reitman pulling a George Lucas and adding any unwelcome changes.
Dunno where they got that from; the dozen other sites reporting this have the same basic announcement.

Last edited by Frontier; September 15 2011 at 05:41 AM.
Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2011, 11:05 PM   #17
weeooo
Cadet

Timby wrote: View Post
An independent theater here in Madison, Wis., advertised a RoboCop / Ghostbusters double feature not too long ago, but after I talked to the owners and found they were only projecting a 720x480 DVD onto a big screen, I said "Thanks, but no thanks."
I went to see the Big Lebowski at the theater downtown, probably the same one you're referring to as they're showing Ghostbusters on Halloween, and the experience was dreadful. I don't expect high quality for a movie I know frontwards and back, but people were loud, the sound was bad, the image was slightly smushed, seats uncomfortable, and the drinks were ridiculously overpriced for Madison. I left halfway through. You made the right choice by not going.
weeooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2011, 01:32 PM   #18
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

So some news finally on this front...

Going to be about 500 theaters.

Going to only be 3 showings. Thursday nights Oct 13, 20, 27.

Joy. Crowded theater.

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2011, 02:50 PM   #19
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Only in the US?

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2011, 03:04 PM   #20
Dream
Admiral

Frontier wrote: View Post
So some news finally on this front...

Going to be about 500 theaters.

Going to only be 3 showings. Thursday nights Oct 13, 20, 27.

Joy. Crowded theater.
Wow, that's reallly sad compared to The Lion King 3D. TLK was released in 2,330 theaters and will have at least a two week run. It is probably going to end up making over 100 million too.
Old October 17 2011, 02:18 AM   #21
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Got tickets to go see this, going Thursday night. Wooo!
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2011, 03:12 AM   #22
Mike Farley
Commodore

Saw it this past Thursday. Had a great time!
Mike Farley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2011, 03:51 AM   #23
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Just got back from seeing it, good times. Not quite as fun or exciting as Back to the Future was last year, with that movie it was enhanced and more in the theater creating a better theater experience. Although here I did go to a "Fork and Screen" showing which probably didn't draw as large of a crowd as the regular showing would.

The presentation of the movie was not one that had been digitally enhanced, though it didn't seem to be a film version as there were no film flaws/scratches or that black timing dot in the corner of the screen so this must have been a DVD or digital copy simply projected on the big screen. A fairly grainy picture but probably not vastly different than how the movie would've looked on the big screen nearly 30 years ago. I had kind-of wished this was a new digital transfer to promote a BD release.

The movie holds up pretty good still on the big screen, some of the old special effects don't hold up well but they're mostly the ones that never really held up and flaws I knew where there even a kid watching this on VHS (most of the flaws coming with the stop-motion involving the terror dogs whenever they're moving against on-location/set filming.) The post-production effects (the ghosts, the streamers, etc.) look good or at least the flaws in how they're made don't show up.

As is usually the case with watching these movies on the big screen as opposed to a TV-set is noticing some details and things you may have not been fully aware of before, mostly on the expressions of character's faces or back-ground details. In an early scene taking place in the Ghostbuster's college lab I found myself looking at the signs and pieces of equipment laying around the room. The huge backdrop of Central Park outside Dana's apartment (mostly seen after the freed containment ghosts destroy a corner of wall) is still pretty damn impressive. (On that scene the matte/overlay of the Ghostbusters walking around inside the apartment looks better and more like they're walking inside a room, on TV it always looked to me like they were walking around in a completely destroyed room with no roof, on the big screen it's more clear just the wall(s) are missing.)

The story and performances are all classics in their own right, most notably Bill Murray's antics as Peter Venkman, and Sigourney Weaver showcases some fabulous legs many times after being turned into the Gatekeeper.

All and all a fun time in the theater in spite of the smaller crowd and the slightly grainy picture. There's one last showing next Thursday, if one is playing in your area and you're a fan of this movie I recommend it. Nothing beats seeing these childhood favorites on the big screen possibly for your first time.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2011, 04:07 PM   #24
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
The presentation of the movie was not one that had been digitally enhanced, though it didn't seem to be a film version as there were no film flaws/scratches or that black timing dot in the corner of the screen so this must have been a DVD or digital copy simply projected on the big screen.
There are very, very few usable 35mm prints of Ghostbusters still in circulation. This was a digital projection that was provided to all theaters.

A fairly grainy picture but probably not vastly different than how the movie would've looked on the big screen nearly 30 years ago. I had kind-of wished this was a new digital transfer to promote a BD release.
The grain in the image was about as true to the 35mm print as you can get. I'm not quite sure which film stock Laszlo Kovacs shot the film on, but I'd guess it's Kodak 5293 (200T), which had a relatively high level of grain (as well as kind of a grungy look).

As for a new digital transfer, that was done a few years ago for the Blu-ray Disc release, and it's fucking awful. There's so much DNR that everything is unnaturally smooth, and the contrast and color temperatures were completely boned -- everything is yanked towards a green color, instead of the purple hues of the original print and DVD. (Actually, the transfer was done for the re-release of the DVD, which is when everything went to shit. I'll never give up my original DVD.) Anyway, this projection was about as good as the film will ever look.

Last edited by Timby; October 21 2011 at 10:32 PM.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2011, 07:26 PM   #25
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Well finally saw this on the big screen last night. One word, aweeesssssooooooommmmmmeeeeeeeee

I thought the whole end part with the guys on the rooftop with Gozer looked particularly excellent on the big screen.

Loving the opportunity to see some of my childhood favourites at cinemas (with BTTF last year.) It's funny, I think GhostBusters II was possibly the first film I ever saw at the cinema when I was 5 years old
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote