Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 20 2011, 05:48 PM   #1576
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Yep. I temporarily forgot their name when describing in them in my post.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2011, 07:03 PM   #1577
davejames
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
My guess from the way things have been depicted so far is that they will encounter each other while investigating the boxes (which I'm guessing could be micro boob tubes or tesseracts of somekind) while ruffling each others feathers along the way while learning to work together to solve the crisis at hand. Then after they are together they decide they can work together and form the Justice League. I'm guessing they nominate Superman as their leader and Bruce will give his "Gotham gets my priority but alert me if there is something actually seriously you need my help with and maybe I'll aide you guys" speech. Then the second arc flash forwards to the present and we see how the roster has expanded, etc.
Actually as much as I'm enjoying this new, harder-edged take on Superman, I'm having a hard time imagining him being the "leader" of the Justice League now. He just seems like too much of a loose cannon.

To me, Batman would be the more obvious choice, being clearly the most adult person in the group.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2011, 07:09 PM   #1578
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, but this is five years ago.

Still, making Batman the leader would make some sense. Whatever qualities he brings to that would give him something to do besides being the obvious weak link to be stepped on.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2011, 07:10 PM   #1579
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Yeah I would have been fine if his Cyborg persona had already been established, but the way they're trying to shoehorn in his origin story just feels distracting.
He's a character that I don't know much about, so I'm finding the whole origin thing interesting.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2011, 07:33 PM   #1580
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

I think Aquaman should be leader of The Justice League.

I mean, he's pretty much useless so why not let him feel like he's contributing?
Ugly Sweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2011, 07:37 PM   #1581
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

But he can TALK TO FISH!

You just wait until they fight some water-based bad guy...
Old October 20 2011, 07:42 PM   #1582
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

I wonder if when the Justice League meets if Aquaman is pretty much like an annoying little kid wanting to help his dad fix the car.

"Can I help?! Can I help?!"

Batman: "Sure, AC. You can, um... Here hold the flashlight."
Old October 20 2011, 07:46 PM   #1583
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^
SIGH, you guys just refuse to let go of the 70's stigma that SuperFriends placed on Aquaman.

Just wait till issue 4, I'm sure you'll have an excuse for it but just wait.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2011, 07:51 PM   #1584
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

"It's okay, Aquaman. You're important too. Sure, sure, Superman can do everything you can than plus a zillion other things, but there's plenty for you to do around here. Both you and Flash are very important to us and we'd hate to lose you."
Old October 20 2011, 07:54 PM   #1585
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Amphibious, superstrong and a telepath. I think he might be able to do more than hold a flashlight. I think the guy who's just a human in a bat themed suit is clearly the designated flashlight holder. They can let him call it a "Bat-Light" to make him feel better.
Old October 20 2011, 07:54 PM   #1586
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
^^^
SIGH, you guys just refuse to let go of the 70's stigma that SuperFriends placed on Aquaman.

Just wait till issue 4, I'm sure you'll have an excuse for it but just wait.
Or go back and read Morrison's run on Justice League. Aquaman was pretty bad ass there.
Old October 20 2011, 08:21 PM   #1587
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Zombie Cheerleader wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post

All fine and good, doesn't mean Batman should be taking the kid out to kick the ass of killers, thieves and madmen.
Pretty sure that's been in the Robin job description since the 40s.
Indeed. And it's one more reason to hate Batman. Everybody wins.
At least Batman doesn't abandon his kids like another superhero tends to do cough superman cough
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2011, 08:21 PM   #1588
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Currently Batman is acting like the leader of them...he's the only one who seems to have his shit together. It will be interesting to see what happens when we flash forward.

When has Superman abandoned his "kids"? That was only created for Young Justice. He was a mentor to Connor when he finally accepted him in the previous continuity. Who do you think gave Connor his names? He's never been a father figure in the comics. A mentor yes, but not like Bruce with all the Robins.

Old October 20 2011, 08:58 PM   #1589
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
My guess from the way things have been depicted so far is that they will encounter each other while investigating the boxes (which I'm guessing could be micro boob tubes or tesseracts of somekind) while ruffling each others feathers along the way while learning to work together to solve the crisis at hand. Then after they are together they decide they can work together and form the Justice League. I'm guessing they nominate Superman as their leader and Bruce will give his "Gotham gets my priority but alert me if there is something actually seriously you need my help with and maybe I'll aide you guys" speech. Then the second arc flash forwards to the present and we see how the roster has expanded, etc.
Actually as much as I'm enjoying this new, harder-edged take on Superman, I'm having a hard time imagining him being the "leader" of the Justice League now. He just seems like too much of a loose cannon.

To me, Batman would be the more obvious choice, being clearly the most adult person in the group.
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Yeah, but this is five years ago.

Still, making Batman the leader would make some sense. Whatever qualities he brings to that would give him something to do besides being the obvious weak link to be stepped on.
Yeah the only major problem with Bats as the leader might be his sort of JLI membership though.

Zombie Cheerleader wrote: View Post
Amphibious, superstrong and a telepath. I think he might be able to do more than hold a flashlight. I think the guy who's just a human in a bat themed suit is clearly the designated flashlight holder. They can let him call it a "Bat-Light" to make him feel better.
Considering the "human in a bat themed suit" seems to be the only adult in the room with the NuJLA I'd take him over the other yahoos.

Currently Batman is acting like the leader of them...he's the only one who seems to have his shit together. It will be interesting to see what happens when we flash forward.
True though from JLI it doesn't look like Batman changes that much.

When has Superman abandoned his "kids"? That was only created for Young Justice. He was a mentor to Connor when he finally accepted him in the previous continuity. Who do you think gave Connor his names? He's never been a father figure in the comics. A mentor yes, but not like Bruce with all the Robins.
There is also the whole Superman Returns thing.

That being said I was only trying to point out that when you think about it Batman isn't nearly as bad as some of the other DC heavy hiters.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2011, 09:00 PM   #1590
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

He didn't know about Jason though. That doesn't count. Batman leading the Justice League would never happen. He cares and is obsessed with protecting too much. I could see him being their operations and tactical adviser and providing them with tech like he has previously. They way they've been promoting Vic Stone in the books, I could easily see him being leader of the League.