Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 19 2011, 07:49 PM   #1531
Bob Karo
Captain

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
I've never seen a full motion comic, but the wee bits I've seen look bizarre and unwieldy.

I was thinking about Batwoman earlier and how she was supposed to be a soldier (can those negatively affected by DADT go back now?), which would have involved, perforce, killing people with guns, or providing support for the killing of people with guns. My question is why does Batman care about lawful homicide when civilians do it but he does not care about someone who swore an oath to lawfully kill foreigners and enemy U.S. citizens under the auspices of the U.S. military? Shouldn't he be like, "Fuck you, take off that symbol, you were a murderer in training, blah blah blah I'm an asshole Gotham is mine"? At the very least, he should question her commitment to the no-kill rule, since obviously she was at least intellectually prepared to take lives. (Let's assume, of course, that the 100,000 incidences of severe trauma to the head, spine, and torso provided by expert Bat-martial artists never killed even one person.)

I mean, I guess he doesn't care when cops do it. He cares when other superheroes do it. Huge blindspot in his bullshit moral system, though, isn't it?

It kinda depends on who's writing. Batman doesn't seem to have a problem with Alfred's current background, or him grabbing a shotgun or maybe a big bore double now and again to protect the house. He's been shown to practice with small arms to know how they're operated and their capabilities. Hell, go far enough back and he'll mow down mobsters with a submachine gun. He's never been shown to think less of the honest cops carrying. How often is Jim Gordon shown without a shoulder holster?

He also killed a God. With a gun.

Think of the "no guns, no killing" rule as more of the line in the sand. He knows what he's doing is illegal. It's necessary because the threat has become too much for law enforcement to manage. Now, he can't just go and off every bad guy who jaywalks either. Where does he draw the line? Where his actions can have irreversable consequences. It's an arbitrary line, but that's the one he drew. He expects those who follow his lead to stay on the right side of it.
Bob Karo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2011, 07:56 PM   #1532
the G-man
Commodore

Yes. When written right the "no guns, no killing" rule is simply a personal code that HE lives by in order to avoid going completely over to the dark side, not something he expects everyone he knows to abide by.

As you point out, if he was that fanatical about it, he'd have to be enemies with Alfred and Gordon.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2011, 07:59 PM   #1533
the G-man
Commodore

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
So basically it sounds as if the argument is more about protecting the word "Marvel" as a trademark in marketing comics than an issue of copyright infringement.
That's the way I understand it. Trademark is a lot more "black and white" than copyright in terms of what's permissible and what isn't (I think). Marvel owns the trademark so Marvel can dictate what appears on the cover of a Capt. Marvel comic.

With copyright there is certain latitude in the law that allows for similarity of works, parodies, fair use, etc.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2011, 08:21 PM   #1534
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

@the g-man thank you. You got it bang on. I don't know why some fans have such a difficult time with this particular aspect of Bruce's character and moral code. It is also the main reason why he has had such a problem with Jason Todd. That isn't how he raised him or why he gave him the skills he did.

I just came back from the comic shop. It was actually busy this morning which surprises me because the afternoon and evenings are usually the busiest times of the day on new comic day their. It was nice to see though.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2011, 02:29 AM   #1535
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Both Fear Itself and Justice League come out today.
Old October 20 2011, 02:30 AM   #1536
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I love the character back-and-forth in JL #2:

"Barry, you're exposing your identity!"

"And you just called me 'Barry,' genius."
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2011, 03:23 AM   #1537
C_Miller
Captain

This Justice League just isn't for me. It's definitely a big budget action movie, but in a laughable way. These aren't characters, they're caricatures at least Batman and Green Lantern are. I actually really liked how Barry was written this issue, but he was the only one. And on top of it, I just am not finding this story compelling. Probably because nothing has happened so far. That and it took me about two minutes to read. But I just can't continue with it at $4 a pop.

Now, on to what I did like. I loved Wonder Woman and I think I can safely say I loved everything about it. Just a perfect comic, IMO. I think that may have a lot to do with the fact that I have never been a fan of WW. From what I can tell, it's very different from how she usually is. I also really dug Nightwing. It was the opposite of WW. It seemed like a classic Nightwing comic from yesteryear.
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2011, 03:28 AM   #1538
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Call me crazy, but I'm kind of liking Catwoman. My primary comic shop was out of sleeves so I had to go to another shop to buy a bunch and to make the credit-card minimum I also bought Batman & Robin 1 and 2. Don't care much for it. I get that Robin in most interpretations is usually young but normally he's early/late teens in this comic Robin is a child. Which is a bit much for me.

Batman #2: Good.
Supergirl #2: Really liked it, the battle and talk between Supergirl and Superman was good.
Wonder Woman #2: Okay. I'm not usually a big follower or one who likes Wonder Woman, I'll likely just follow this through the first arc.

Next week I'm likely to get Superman #2 and The Dark Knight #2.
Ugly Sweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2011, 03:39 AM   #1539
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Call me crazy, but I'm kind of liking Catwoman. My primary comic shop was out of sleeves so I had to go to another shop to buy a bunch and to make the credit-card minimum I also bought Batman & Robin 1 and 2. Don't care much for it. I get that Robin in most interpretations is usually young but normally he's early/late teens in this comic Robin is a child. Which is a bit much for me.
Damien's age is constrained by timeline since he is Bruce's son with Talia so he can't be more than 14.
Old October 20 2011, 03:51 AM   #1540
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Oh, is Wonder Woman #2 out? Wonder Woman #1 for $1.99 on Comixology, here I come! (Will I like digital comics? Or my first encounter with the Nu52? Time will tell!)
Old October 20 2011, 03:55 AM   #1541
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Nightwing 2 (****) - This was a big improvement over #1 especially since there was much less blood here. I guess they are setting up the new situation with him running the Circus and the truth about the Circus.

Batman 2 (****)- Like Nightwing, the theme of both books seems to be the hidden secrets in the hero's past. In Bruce's case, it's the Court of Owl that seem to be a combination of Black Glove and Batman. A lot of this book emphasizes how much of Batman's advantage comes from his knowledge of Gotham whether it's train schedules or hidden bits of architecture. There seems to be a supernatural aspect too in the assassin that attacks Bruce.

With exception to Daniel and Finch, the Batbooks continue to consistently get the best writers.
Old October 20 2011, 04:14 AM   #1542
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

C_Miller wrote: View Post
This Justice League just isn't for me. It's definitely a big budget action movie, but in a laughable way. These aren't characters...
They are, and to a far greater degree than I'm used to from DC. For one thing, there's some humor to the whole thing.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2011, 04:31 AM   #1543
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Damien's age is constrained by timeline since he is Bruce's son with Talia so he can't be more than 14.
All fine and good, doesn't mean Batman should be taking the kid out to kick the ass of killers, thieves and madmen.
Ugly Sweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2011, 04:36 AM   #1544
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

He was raised by thieves and murderers. Being Robin is literally the best thing that happened to him.
Old October 20 2011, 05:16 AM   #1545
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
All fine and good, doesn't mean Batman should be taking the kid out to kick the ass of killers, thieves and madmen.
Pretty sure that's been in the Robin job description since the 40s.